Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Japanese

Troll

Default Re: Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    You don't need to submit a new dat file, during the build process the game generates all dat files from the sfx archive. In the next version of KeeperFX a new SFX-archive will be created anyway, and I'm happy to make a small change to the filelist to have this change reflected in Japanese.

And I can't comment on the actual translation here, since I don't know any japanese, but I do know the original japanese translations have had improvements submitted by 'keita umetsu'. If the translations in other languages are anything to go by, I would say that any change is an improvement.
    Maybe the change was simply to remove redundant wording? (I notice that the original game's 'ハイスコア一覧表’ was also changed to just 'ハイスコア’ 一覧表 in this context means list.). 設定 can mean options/preferences/configuration/setup. I have Japanese games that just say 'オプション’ (or even ’おぷしょん', which is actually the same word but written in Hiragana instead of Katakana. That's odd because non-Chinese loanwords (in fact, this word is a straight borrowing from 'option' (ハイスコア is straight from 'High Score')) are usually written in Katakana). But the original game was surely translated by people who knew what they were doing?

Anyway, I would post my draft (and probably incorrect) translations of all the remaining English that I have thus far seen, but for some reason some of it doesn't display here . I get that question mark symbol instead. It shows up fine in the editor.

Looking at the other translations, no they were not done by people knowing what they were doing. Remember this is 1998, and bad game translations in these times were famous for a reason. Especially computer terms like 'settings' were not standard in foreign languages.

And you don't have to offer up translations here, the wiki says how to do it, you can do it directly in the japanese .po file, here.
    That way you simply have the full list of texts and can clearly see where a japanese translation is missing. And I don't have to go copy and paste stuff where I have no idea what's right or wrong.

Troll

Looking at the other translations, no they were not done by people knowing what they were doing. Remember this is 1998, and bad game translations in these times were famous for a reason. Especially computer terms like 'settings' were not standard in foreign languages.

And you don't have to offer up translations here, the wiki says how to do it, you can do it directly in the japanese .po file, here.
    That way you simply have the full list of texts and can clearly see where a japanese translation is missing. And I don't have to go copy and paste stuff where I have no idea what's right or wrong.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a GitHub account . (I know, I should get one. Maybe I will...)

Also, I've noticed that all the creatures' names (the names for the creatures themselves, not individuals of the creatures) are from English. Most of them have proper Japanese terms for them. Could this be an example of bad game translations you mentioned? Or could it be because Dungeon Keeper is a British game? I can't be sure obviously, but I don't think these terms are used in everyday Japanese (I highly doubt that スパイダー is used instead of 蜘蛛 (Spider), and I'm jiggered if 士 (Samurai) is commonly written as サムライ (maybe it's to avoid confusion with 土 (Earth)? Not that it matters, because there's also 侍.) I could give more examples, but you get my drift. Should these be changed to their proper Japanese terms or left as they are?

Another thing: in the launcher, にほんご should probably be changed to 日本語, as that's the most common way to write it.
    Last edited by AdamP; November 26th, 2018 at 05:13.

Yes, getting a github account is free, but you don't need one here I believe. You can just download that .po file, make the edits in the .po file with a text-editor, and send me the file.

And once again, I can't comment on the actual translation.

Troll

Yes, getting a github account is free, but you don't need one here I believe. You can just download that .po file, make the edits in the .po file with a text-editor, and send me the file.

And once again, I can't comment on the actual translation.
    I couldn't find a way to download the po file .

Looks like I'll have to get an account...

Simply click here. Then in your browser 'save page as' and you're done.

Troll

Simply click here. Then in your browser 'save page as' and you're done.
    At first, I thought that hadn't worked properly, but it had.

I've added my attempt at some of the missing translations. Someone more fluent than me is probably going to have to check it. I haven't (at least not yet) touched the names of the creatures. How should I send you the updated file?

Well, if it needs further checking than adding it right here is probably a good idea, so you can publicly ask the community to check it. I don't know any fluent japanese speakers, so sending it to me won't help with that.

Once you are confident enough that it can be merged into the game, simply email me the file.

Troll

Well, if it needs further checking than adding it right here is probably a good idea, so you can publicly ask the community to check it. I don't know any fluent japanese speakers, so sending it to me won't help with that.

Once you are confident enough that it can be merged into the game, simply email me the file.
    Your creature cannot reach the room it needs 貴方のクリーチャーは必要な部屋に� �達出来ません
    Work room unreachable: 作業室が到達不能な:
    Your Imp cannot reach a room to drag something into 貴方のインプは何かを置く部屋に達� �出来ません
    Storage room unreachable: 貯蔵室が到達不能な:
    Armour: Part of the damage which won't affect creature health. The higher the number, the larger part of damage is discarded. 鎧:クリーチャーの体力に障る無い� �傷の一部。 数値が高い程、損傷のもっと部分を� �殺されます。
    Speed: How fast the creature moves and perform its dungeon tasks. 速力:クリーチャーが移動して仕事� �する速度。
    Loyalty: How resistant the creature is against scavenging by the enemy. 忠誠:敵に因る洗脳に対して抵抗。
    Research Skill: unused. 研究技能:未使用な。
    Training Cost: Gold used for training the creature. 訓練費:訓練為に掛ける金。
    Scavenge Cost: Gold used for scavenging by the creature. 洗脳費:洗脳為に掛ける金� �
    Best Damage: How much harm can be made by the strongest attack the creature has. 最高な損傷:このクリーチャーの最も� ��い攻撃が加える損傷の量。
    Weight: Mass of the creature. Some people say overweight can lead to heart attack. 体量:クリーチャーの質量。 幾つかの人々は、太りすぎが心臓発� �に繋がる可能性の有ると言います。
    Hand Of Evil: Ability to pick up your creatures and hold them in your hand. Just don't hold them forever or they may get irritated. 悪魔の手:貴方のクリーチ� ��ーを手持ち為れ能力。 余りにも長くそれ等を保持しないで� �然うした場合、彼らは怒る可能性が� ��ります。
    Slap: Makes your creatures work harder, for some time. Your creatures take some damage from each slap they receive. 平手打ち:貴方のクリーチャ ーをしばらくの間、もっと頑張らせ� �す。 貴方のクリーチャーは、受け取った� �きから其々損傷を受けます。
    Health: How much health points the creature has left to lose. 体力:クリーチャーの残りの体カ点� �。
    Health: The maximum amount of health points for this creature. 体力:クリーチャーの最高� �体カ点数。
    Hand of Evil 悪魔の手

Some improved (I hope) translations:

Manufacture Skill: How fast the creature works in Workshop. 製造技能: このクリーチャーが製造をこなす能� �。
    Training Skill: How fast the creature works on training. 訓練技能: このクリーチャーが訓練をこなす能� �。
    Scavenge Skill: How fast the creature works on scavenging. 洗脳技能: このクリーチャーが洗脳をこなす能� �。

But as you can see (or can you?), some of it doesn't display here for some reason . I see those question mark symbols instead, and it is that characters that's copied when I copy from here (but not from the file).

I mean you could have linked the .po file here, so people could give feedback on your translations. But this mostly works, apart from your question marks. Perhaps that's a 'font' issue, I don't know.