Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't change resolution to keep 4:3 aspect

Default Can't change resolution to keep 4:3 aspect

Hi, i just tried keeperFX and it works, but changing resolutions using ALT+R doesnt show any difference in UI size, and 4:3 resolutions still appear stretched on my 1600x900.

if i use windowed mode, then it doesnt stretch (visible in loading screen CD image), but in game the dungeon heart still appears stretched, and there are no black bars at the sides when full screen.

stretched in keeperfx: http://i.imgur.com/a6kqG01.jpg (screenshot taken by using shift+c)
    here's how it looks on gog dosbox version: http://i.imgur.com/Ty1KAvj.jpg the UI and dungeon heart looks different.

also when i try to launch from the launcher.exe, the bat file opens but says windows cannot find keeperfx.exe, so i'm using shortcut:

Code:
    "D:\00\Dungeon Keeper Gold\keeperfx.exe" -nointro -nocd -alex -vidsmooth
    i've tried -windib and -directx but no difference. also ran as admin mode on windows 8.1

Code:
    ; List of in-game resolutions. ALT+R will switch between them.
    INGAME_RES=640x480x32 1024x768x32
    keeperfx version: keeperfx_ccp_0_4_6_complete.7z
    gog version: 2107
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a6kqG01.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	1669  
    Last edited by svefn; July 18th, 2016 at 01:32.

Default Re: Can't change resolution to keep 4:3 aspect

Are you joking? Your GOG keeperfx image has the perfect aspect ratio, but your gog screenshot is ehm,... compressed? To make sure I'm not the crazy one I opened both of them in paint.net and drew a perfect square over the perfectly square treasure room on the map, and only the KeeperFX one is actually square.

The UI size won't change in KeeperFX though when you change the resolution, it will scale to be the same size. However, on higher resolutions higher quality icons are used, which should help you tell the difference. Your screenshot is from 640x480 though, but if you want to be sure, just only configure to the resolution you want and press Alt+R at least once and you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by YourMaster; July 18th, 2016 at 00:43.

i'm not sure why it appears like this.. i tried reinstalling the whole game completely. yes the higher quality icons showed but in fullscreen 1600x900 but the loading screen CD image is distorted like oval for keeperfx, in windowed mode it is circle.

the purple gem on the dungeon heart for dosbox version looks slightly longer? @@

edit: i tried what you said too, and it looks even wierd. but the main menus at the start are fine.

i tried dosbox again and it doesnt show black bars at the side either, despite ticking keep aspect ratio and using original res on fullscreen / 1024x768. so it appears both look the same in game actually, but the screenshot from gog dosbox looks different?

Last edited by svefn; July 18th, 2016 at 01:28.

You've drawn your square on the perspective view. Draw it on the map, that is top-down. Or even draw it on the square buttons to the left to make a treasure room.

the map on dosbox version looks odd, like it's stretch vertically, but if scaling engine set to none, then it does not stretch the map and adds bars to the side when in cutscenes/ingame at 640x480 but then it looks terrible with low res.

keeperfx does much better:

i guess either is fine to me since it's just a minor thing, very much prefer the resolution of keeperFX. it just bugs me when i always see that loading screen CD stretched :S the menus look longer horizontally and i cant switch the resolution to make it 4:3 instead.
    Last edited by svefn; July 18th, 2016 at 02:59.

Again, all the images of GOG you posted are stretched vertically.
    If in KeeperFX the menu/loading screen etc. are not right, you need to set the "FRONTEND_RES", not just the "INGAME_RES".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	square.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1670  

what should i set it to? it is now default at FRONTEND_RES. the readme says it is best to leave it at that.

thanks.

Edit: my bad, for 4:3 resolutions, it works as intended when i tested on another PC with GTX 660 ti. from default res at first, then switching to 1920x1080 on 1080p monitor shows fullscreen widescreen, while 4:3 resolutions will shows bars on both sides as expected. this works if i launch the game using the launcher, but doesnt when i use shortcut with command line arguments.

alt+R also works there. when i alt+R on this PC's HD 4600 between widescreen and 4:3 resolutions, it doesnt scale the res.

so it should be this PC problem with the keeperFX launcher. for instance, options for 'start game', 'readme' and 'log file' dont work.

when i try to start game from the launcher.exe, there is a CMD window that opens but says error msg says it cannot find keeperfx.exe.

i have set it to admin mode for all users. what else should i try?
    Last edited by svefn; July 18th, 2016 at 14:32.

I don't know, experiment a bit, try your native resolution first. Change the third value, you can leave the first two alone.

well i give up, tried a myriad of settings, reinstalled 3 times and tried nightly build. the launcher cannot start the game on this win 8.1 pc, but ok on other PC.

alt+R doesnt change the between resolution aspects on this pc but works on the other. so either it is the HD 4600 which isnt rendering it properly, or the launcher cannot find the keeperfx.exe in the bat file it is using to start game. i can only launch via shortcut with command line arguments.

there isnt any firewall running or av app blocking, and already admin mode, checked user rights on full control, nothing is read only. so i'm stumped as to why launcher cannot find keeperfx.exe, readme.txt and the log fie.

Code:
    Dungeon Keeper FX ver 0.4.6.1670 (standard release)
    LOG CREATED  @ 22:07:59  18-07-2016

Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 256x256
    Sync: CPU GenuineIntel type 0 family 6 model 12 stepping 3 features bfebfbff
    Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
    Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.
    Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode 640x480x32 setup succeeded
    Sync: Near Full moon -0.0821
    Warning: InitializeMusicPlayer: Can't load track 1: Couldn't open './music/keeper01.ogg'
    Sync: InitializeMusicPlayer: Music player using folder initialized
    LbDataFree: freeing "*PALETTE"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "*SCRATCH"...done
    Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 128x128
    Sync: GraphicsHeap Size 8388608
    Sync: SoundHeap Size 8388608
    Sync: init_sound_heap_two_banks: Got sound buffer of 8357696 bytes, samples in banks: 840,126
    Sync: Pentium Pro polygon rendering on
    Sync: SetMusicPlayerVolume: Music volume set: 90
    Sync: setup_game: Speech recognition disabled: KeeperSpeech module not found
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/pointer64.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/pointer64.tab"...done
    Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode 640x480x32 setup succeeded
    Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 256x256
    Sync: get_startup_menu_state: Standard startup state selected
    Sync: Frontend state change from 0 into 1
    Sync: Created menu ID 18 at slot 0, pos (0,0) size (640,480)
    Sync: Frontend state change from 1 into 9
    Sync: Frontend state change from 9 into 0
    LbDataFree: freeing "*SCRATCH"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "*TEXTURE_PAGE"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/creature.tab"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/palette.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/bluepal.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/redpall.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/lightng.pal"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/dogpal.pal"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/vampal.pal"...done
    Last edited by svefn; July 18th, 2016 at 15:07.

Well, are you sure the config file matches the game you are trying to open. Don't use the launcher or any desktop shortcut, try running Keeperfx.exe directly in the folder where you've changed the config file.