Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6

Post KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6

KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6

KeeperFX 0.4.6 released April 2016. After that Mefistotelis kept working on the next version for several months, and version 0.4.7 was shaping up to be a great version. Unfortunately for us, in September that year he shifted his priorities away from working on KeeperFX. By now there have been no new developments for a year.

Although Mefistotelis might decide to pick this hobby up again at some point in the future, I have made a release to hold us over. Make no mistake, even though I've released this version, our thanks should go out to Mefistotelis since he not only did a wonderful job getting KeeperFX all the way up to version 0.4.6, most of the work, features and fixes of this unofficial version have also been done by him. KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6 is what could be called "0.4.6 and a half", with the work done for 0.4.7 included but partial/broken functionality cut out, and some additional simple changes done by me.

! ---- KeeperFX 0.4.7 is out, see here. ---- !

Other versions

I've designed this version to be the best version of the game to play until 0.4.7 is made and released by Mefistotelis or other developers. If you don't like my unofficial release, there are other versions available:

The last full release, a very nice version to play. Unfortunately suffers from a visual glitch where Archers that attack become huge for a moment. Also does not have any of the new features or fixes developed since its release. The archer problem is not fixed in any of the nightly builds.

• KeeperFX 0.4.6 + Nightly build 1826
    The full release updated with the latest nightly builds from the 'stable' branch. You'd think this is the version to play since it contains all features and fixes ever made by Mefistotelis, it unfortunately also contains several new blocking bugs. Tunnelers can dig through walls, Imps can pick up everything from neutral ground/water and the entire creature pane becomes empty when you lose too many imps. Don't play this version. If you insist on playing the latest official version possible, play r1821 instead.

• KeeperFX 0.4.6 + Nightly build 1793
    If you want an official version, this is the version to play. Version 1794 introduced the imp-pickup-bug and the other two critical bugs from r1826 are introduced after that, so this one is safe to play. Of course is is 33 builds behind 1826, most notably Tunneler trails won't shop up on the map and a possible hang remains unfixed.
    However, like in r1826 all important new features are included in this nightly. See below. You can't get around how much the computer player has been improved.

• KeeperFX 0.4.6 + Nightly build 1905 devel branch
    In 2015 two other developers helped out with KeeperFX development. Mefistotelis decided their contributions needed to be refactored before they could be used so he branched development. Most of the completed features have been introduced in the stable branch. Even though r1905 is the 'bigger' number, this nightly is seriously behind in features/fixes compared to the stable branch. It does not contain the above mentioned bugs though, but basically only use this version for testing purposes.

Official changes since 0.4.6

KeeperFX 0.4.6 Unofficial is based on r1793, and has the most important fixes made afterwards merged in. The Official 0.4.6 Complete was r1670 so there are over 120 official fixes in this release. To get the full list look on the official or unofficial github change list.

Highlights are:
    • Use mousewheel to zoom
    • Heroes use their beneficial spells outside of combat
    • Less likely for creatures to walk over action point without triggering it.(breaking the map)
    • No more auto victory on DD-level Morkardar
    • No more infinite hero spawn on Level C18 (Blaise End)
    • Fixed a bug where on loading a level no more creatures would spawn from portal
    • Prison breaks work properly
    • Guardposts and Bridges no longer seen as walls when calculating room efficiency
    • Introduced 2D markers to support 2D Landviews for custom campaigns
    • Introduced a sound effect when your creatures steal gold
    • Creatures without a ranged attack will retreat when shot at from across lava
    • Massive improvements in how rival keepers assign creatures to rooms
      - It assigns creatures to rooms they excel at (e.g. trolls to workshops)
      - It prefers to drop creatures in efficient rooms over inefficient rooms
      - It no longer feels the need to fill up useless rooms with creatures
      - It won’t assign dumb creatures to library together with Warlocks
      - It uses the workshop more when low on gold to make money
    • Keepers will sacrifice their imps to get the price down
    • Keepers will prioritize building more imps when they've lost their imps
    • Keepers will build more imps when they have access to gems
    • Keepers will no longer be confused by preplaced doors
    • Keepers won't build useless tunnels that break their own dungeons

Official fixes merged from after 1793:
    • Game freeze on infinite loop (mapwho chain)
    • Imps will not walk to other side of wall when assigned to reinforce

Unofficial Fixes

There are additional changes/fixes that you won't find in any other version. This is because I made these. Note that I'm no software developer so I could only do simple or non-code things.
    • Archer combat animation fixed
    • Unflipped archer/thief icons and made archer icon more distinct
    • Hardcoded arrow keys for camera movement. Configurable settings work in addition to these to allow WASD controls during possession.
    • WASD keys now default keys for camera/first person movement. (If you update from another version, you can delete your save/settings.dat file to get these settings).
    • Moved other default keys around to match. Most notably 'Query' is now 'Q' instead of 'Num0'.
    • Several updates and fixes to interface texts. Changed spell/skill descriptions to be truthful. (English only)
    • Fixed some spelling mistakes in GUI, and many in the 'Good Campaign'
    • Included the 'New Game+' campaign
    • Highscore list better fits map numbers over 1000
    • Fixed bug that caused imps to stop mining gems after a single trip
    • An additional creature stat page with new stats. Reordered the stats.
    • Creatures will now use the Timebomb, Chicken, Fear and Disease spells if assigned to them (useful for modders only)
    • Undid the broken fear implementation, restored the original DK fear implementation.
    • Allowed the 'best' computer player to build bigger training rooms
    • Creatures doing jobs like 'Freeze Prisoners' or 'Explore' are now listed as Idle in the creature pane
    • Undid many DragonsLover changes
      - Restored creature spells/stats to original values where new ones were not needed. (e.g. Hell hounds no longer shoot fireballs)
      - Final level no longer requires you to defeat blue keeper after the avatar. (Play New Game+ for this)
      - Secret lvl 105 restored to original (Horny is back)
      - Several custom temple recipes disabled to make it less exploitable
    • Several map fixes
      - No more auto-victory on Level C15 (Woodly Rhyme)
      - Keepers no longer take over center on Level C12 (Elf's Dance). This restores original behavior
      - Minor fixes on bonus levels. Countdown stops when level is won.
      - Ancient Keeper 11 - Lose level when it can no longer be won
      - Closed exploit in DD-level Netzcaro to prevent player from getting bridge too soon
      - Fixed behavior of Green keeper in DD-level Korros Tor to not commit suicide
      - Good Campaign 9 - Creatures placed through script to not hit creature limit
      - Post Ancient Keeper - Now uses Ancient Keeper configs
      - Twin Keepers 5 - Fixed an unwinnable situation
      - On Level C7 the Keeper can no longer wall himself in

Instructions

KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6 Complete is delivered the same way the official release is provided, so installation works the same way. An original version (Disk, GOG, etc) is used to play, so after extracting the archive use the included Launcher to copy the required files over.

Installation instructions can be found on the official wiki. If you have any problems with the release, feel free to share here or list an issue on Github. However, please note I'm not a software developer and it is very unlikely that I can fix your problem if it is also present in the official release.
    These bugs can therefore best be reported on the official Github, please be sure to reproduce your bug in an official version first and add the log files of the official release to the issue so that the official developers aren't bugged with problems they can't solve.

Music files need to be downloaded separately if you want to have the game music play without your cd in your drive.

Let me know what you think.

UPDATE:

A new developer has stood up to continue work on KeeperFX, follow the work in progress and try the latest builds here.
    Last edited by YourMaster; October 6th, 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Added r1850 changes

Default Re: KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6

Creatures will now use the Timebomb, Chicken, Fear and Disease spells if assigned to them (useful for modders only)

You made my day,this is awesome

Few questions :

Game freeze on infinite loop (mapwho chain)
    What do you mean by infinite loop?related to the script?

Moved other default keys around to match. Most notably 'Query' is now 'Q' instead of 'Num0'.
    WASD keys now default keys for camera/first person movement. (If you update from another version, you can delete your save/settings.dat file to get these settings).
    My keyboard is AZERTY, will I have ZQSD or WASD whatever the keyboard is? (not really important I can still use Alt+Shift to turn my keyboard into a QWERTY one).

Undid the broken fear implementation, restored the original DK fear implementation.
    What was broken in keeperfx?

Think it's all for the question.

Very nice works!

Currently downloading, I hope my connexion will let me get it. (edit: doesn't seem likely today hope tomorrow)
    Last edited by watler253; August 6th, 2016 at 19:52.

Quote Originally Posted by watler253 View Post
    What do you mean by infinite loop?related to the script?
    See this or this.

My keyboard is AZERTY, will I have ZQSD or WASD whatever the keyboard is? (not really important I can still use Alt+Shift to turn my keyboard into a QWERTY one).
    You'll have WASD by default, but in the 'Define keys' menu you can change it to whatever you want.

What was broken in keeperfx?
    Spellcasters are afraid of everything. If you enable 'flee' everything becomes a lot more fearful even on full health, and even when 'flee' is disabled creatures would flee on low health. See this issue.

Thank you for this! Have played a couple levels.

Only issue I've encountered is the music playlist not working. It keeps looping the same track. (This is with the official music files, nothing extra.)

Noticed Monks using Heal outside combat. It's listed in the update notes, just want to make sure it's actually new. Good addition if so!

I've done nothing with the music playback, but I'll look into it.

And the monks use healing yes, I've listed that as 'Heroes use their beneficial spells outside of combat'. This way it becomes more difficult for you to just use spells to kill heroes before they attack.

---------------------------------------
    Edit2: I've looked into your music issue - and what I've found out is that which song is played is determined by the level number and that song is always looped over and over. That's not new here, but as far as I can see has always been the case.
    Last edited by YourMaster; August 10th, 2016 at 23:33.

Really? Haha, totally possible. Thanks for checking anyway. I didn't remember it being this way, but I also haven't played DK1 in ages...

Some very good improvements there, though I'll miss the guard posts for walls efficiency trick...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oggrr

Download link seems to be semi-broken. I can only get to about 1-2% before i loose contact and the download cancels. Anyway to get a mirror?

Does this one work for you: https://keeperfx-loobinex.keeperklan..._6_complete.7z

If not, it would be nice if somebody could upload the file to mega or something to get a proper mirror. This website often has problem with interrupted downloads.
    Edit: I've managed to create a mirror myself. Added it to the OP.
    Last edited by YourMaster; September 6th, 2016 at 18:31.

I've updated the file. New download links in the first post. Went from version 1822 to 1825.

• Added the missing level files from New Game+ campaign
    • Made the 'Post Ancient Keeper' campaign use the 'Ancient' configs instead of KFX defaults.
    • Changed lvl7 to not allow blue to wall himself in completely.