Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: Red Crystal Islands OOC Thread

Default Re: Red Crystal Islands OOC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Lysaina

Summary: Lysaina set up her Lair and began training.

Level: 2
    Experience: 7.95/25 [+22.95 for Combat]
    How the hell did Lysaina grow 1.3 of a level in a single post that basically amounts to "started training"? That makes BJ's training look very tame by comparison. And what "Combat" is this even talking about? There isn't any combat in the post. (Unless internal insecurities count as combat experience now.)

The Awakening

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    How the hell did Lysaina grow 1.3 of a level in a single post that basically amounts to "started training"? That makes BJ's training look very tame by comparison.
    I considered her to be training since the post after her Keeper post as she would have started immediately. I had planned to make a post immediately after the Keeper Post but I couldn't, as a result of school and Northland priorities, and I didn't want to have her penalized because of that. This ends up counting as 15 Creature Posts (I actually made a mistake and counted it as 17 originally for some reason), with double posts counting as two Creature Posts. This adds up to a lot relatively speaking because I've done a recent change to my formulas.

Previously, Creature Posts were only worth half a point and Battle Posts worth a fourth. This change was made in response to the large amount of activity we had going for a while, and it made sense at the time. However, as activity slowed down, I realized the flaws in the system that caused massive delays. In response to this, I made it so Creature Posts were worth a full point and Battle Posts worth half.

It looks like a lot, but when you think about the amount of real time passed, it's actually been a month since she would have started training. Normally I try not to put too much value in real time, if any, but I think it's important here. It shows how slow the RP is actually progressing. Naturally, RCI is a secondary realm to Northland so this makes sense, but even in Northland, things are moving slowly. So because of that, I think it is important to speed up dungeon time as a response else the RP will just move too slowly.

I'll reduce the experience she got out of principle that it was only one training post, however I will not change the system I have set up yet. There would have to be a spike in activity in RCI or something that would exploit the system much the same way as the old system was exploited and slowed everything down as a result, as it wasn't built for that reduced activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    And what "Combat" is this even talking about? There isn't any combat in the post. (Unless internal insecurities count as combat experience now.)
    Come on Moth, you're not even trying. That is obviously something more of an overlooked typo. With all the recent battle posts I've made, it shouldn't be that hard to figure why I wrote that in accidentally.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I considered her to be training since the post after her Keeper post as she would have started immediately. I had planned to make a post immediately after the Keeper Post but I couldn't, as a result of school and Northland priorities, and I didn't want to have her penalized because of that. This ends up counting as 15 Creature Posts (I actually made a mistake and counted it as 17 originally for some reason), with double posts counting as two Creature Posts. This adds up to a lot relatively speaking because I've done a recent change to my formulas.

Previously, Creature Posts were only worth half a point and Battle Posts worth a fourth. This change was made in response to the large amount of activity we had going for a while, and it made sense at the time. However, as activity slowed down, I realized the flaws in the system that caused massive delays. In response to this, I made it so Creature Posts were worth a full point and Battle Posts worth half.

It looks like a lot, but when you think about the amount of real time passed, it's actually been a month since she would have started training. Normally I try not to put too much value in real time, if any, but I think it's important here. It shows how slow the RP is actually progressing. Naturally, RCI is a secondary realm to Northland so this makes sense, but even in Northland, things are moving slowly. So because of that, I think it is important to speed up dungeon time as a response else the RP will just move too slowly.

I'll reduce the experience she got out of principle that it was only one training post, however I will not change the system I have set up yet. There would have to be a spike in activity in RCI or something that would exploit the system much the same way as the old system was exploited and slowed everything down as a result, as it wasn't built for that reduced activity.
    I can see your reasoning, but I still don't think it's a good idea to do things like this.

First off, I don't think this has ever been done before. In the past, everyone's position and action was always defined by what they were doing in the last post. I don't see why to suddenly change this basic idea.

Second, this means that technically nobody has any idea where anyone is, since anyone could've already run off and done something else 5 posts ago. If between whatever point in time Lysaina's post is supposed to take place in and the point in time it's actually posted in, I were to address Lysaina's character in the Heart Chamber (for whatever reason), what would that mean to continuity? Suddenly the timeline just breaks apart. I can't interact with any character anymore because I have no idea where they are or what they are doing. Hell, I don't even know what my own creatures are doing until it's defined for them in the next post, which hasn't been written yet.

Additionally, doing this seems like it could open up a lot of room for exploits. Suddenly making Lysaina gaining nearly a level and a half with no prior notification is one example I'd as abuse. Suddenly it becomes real easy to say "oh yeah, my character actually started training 20 posts ago, so now he's level much-o even though it just says he's started training here and now".

Finally, real-time being slow I think is a pretty poor justification to arrange things like this. We've had a point where the entire RPG was dead for nearly a year. How many characters back then got crazy levelup rates due to not being posted for several months? I can't think of any. Yes, the RPG is slow, but it's always been slow. It's been running for over 4 years now and the highest creatures are only level 7. This is because real-time has never had much impact on training rates.

Oh, and if we're still going to do this, does that mean I can bring back Elatos, Masega and Grey in Northland each at level 6 because they would've spent a sizable portion of the time in Northland training during the last 10 months, though I didn't get around to it yet because I didn't prioritize to them, so I didn't yet post that they actually are doing that, even though they actually were?

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

YOUR SCHMANCY NUMBERS LACK SOULLLL, MAN.

Guys, we have a chat room for a reason!!

Whoever is right and whatever is the deal, i don't give a f**k, but discuss these kind of controversities in a skype chat in private, where they can be easily solved and forgotten!

If you post your controversies here, it gives a bad image to the RP. I don't care who is right or wrong, but this is stupid.
    Last edited by Dark_Omega MK2; October 8th, 2013 at 08:17.

I have decided after some thinking about it to give up on the task of being Keeper Kuroki.

Being as the responsibility of a keeper is high in many aspects, i have come to the conclusion that i am simply not going to be able to pull it off properly being the casual RPer that i am.

I am announcing it here in order to set things straight and make it official unlike previous keepers who have simply left the realm to their fate. Keep in mind that i will continue executing the role of Kuroki until a replacement is found so that the realm won't fall into inactivity once again, as for the replacement that will obviously be up to Metal Gear Rex to decide who is worthy, if any at all and when the time comes i will pass the standard to someone more up for the task.

The person in charge will be obviously informed by yours truly about the situation of the realm, the plot and things to take into account just as Metal Gear Rex had informed me when i started. As for myself, i feel it is too much to handle and i am glad to leave it on the hands of someone with more patience for it.
    Last edited by Dark_Omega MK2; October 31st, 2013 at 12:15.