Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Progress update #6

OpenKeeper developer

Default Progress update #6

Here, small stuff but getting closer to playable:
    https://youtu.be/bpJ6KGttJhM

Default Re: Progress update #6

Looks great! Can't wait to play without the game crashing every other hour.

OpenKeeper developer

Thanks. Don't put so much pressure on us Crashing is essential part of software culture... We can just adjust the frequency.... Seriously, I hope the open source part and JAVA addresses that. We are so close the first campaign level to be actually playable... https://github.com/tonihele/OpenKeeper/issues/261

A lot of good things could come from an open source Dungeon Keeper. Although the sprites have such a unique and dark look I imagine it would be hard to add new ones that would fit well. DK2 might even be easier for that.

Quote Originally Posted by damedog View Post
    A lot of good things could come from an open source Dungeon Keeper. Although the sprites have such a unique and dark look I imagine it would be hard to add new ones that would fit well. DK2 might even be easier for that.
    Bring back the beetle!

And the spider, witch, dragon, hellhound...

Yeah, Open Keeper is a DK2 rewrite, and I don't know how close they want to stick to original, but it is very easy to add more creatures that fit. The heroes and creatures that are in now are mostly unimaginative dribble. I name Knight/Dark Knight, Elf/Dark Elf, Guard/Royal Guard, Thief/Rogue as a few examples.
    Heroes especially could benefit from stuff like Templar, Samurai, Mercenaries or Blade Masters being included in the line up as additional flavoring. On the creature side I'd love to see the Dark Elf being replaced by something completely different. Personally I don't mind seeing the Dark Knight go either, but I know lots of people would object to this.

Well I'm pretty excited! What filetypes would the creatures have to be? Are they 3D models or sprites?

Also, sign me up for any QA testing.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Yeah, Open Keeper is a DK2 rewrite, and I don't know how close they want to stick to original, but it is very easy to add more creatures that fit. The heroes and creatures that are in now are mostly unimaginative dribble. I name Knight/Dark Knight, Elf/Dark Elf, Guard/Royal Guard, Thief/Rogue as a few examples.
    Heroes especially could benefit from stuff like Templar, Samurai, Mercenaries or Blade Masters being included in the line up as additional flavoring. On the creature side I'd love to see the Dark Elf being replaced by something completely different. Personally I don't mind seeing the Dark Knight go either, but I know lots of people would object to this.
    Hell, i've seen reskins be done before and I highly doubt it would be difficult to give heroes an Angel class that is just a reskin of the Dark Angel with some different powers and, maybe, a different voice set.

Hell, i've seen reskins be done before and I highly doubt it would be difficult to give heroes an Angel class that is just a reskin of the Dark Angel with some different powers and, maybe, a different voice set.
    With that attitude you could have worked for Bullfrog.
    I mean I just hate that both sides have the same but re-skinned units. The whole reason I'd like to see different units is to give both sides a more different theme and have more variety. DK2 evil has to many humans for my taste. And the heroes are too similar to each other as well. Rex did introduce some new heroes into his DK2 balance patch.

But in Open Keeper I'm sure they won't limit themselves technically to just the included units. I just don't know if they actually want to change stuff.

@Tonihele: Do you want to make a carbon copy of DK2, or do you have changes to the original game planned? If so, what do you want to do differently?