Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Laboratory

Exclamation Laboratory

LABORATORY

Buildable: Yes.

Costs: 1500/tile

Appearance: Imagine a dark medieval laboratory/frankensteins lab. A playground for every evil mastermind, it is filled with lots of contraptions, and weird stuff put in jars etc.

Use:
    Some creatures may research in the laboratory to improve it's functions. To perform the different tasks this room can provide, you need labour just like in the workshop. A given choice for creatures working in this room would be warlocks, for instance.

This room provides basically two kinds of services.
    1. Alterations, both improvements and afflictions.
    2.Mutations.

The laboratory is therefor provided with 'alteration tables' and 'mutation/merging' tables. You should of course be able to tell their use by their appearance.

The alterations could be all kinds of stuff, for example:
    You put one of your own creatures on the 'alteration' table in the Laboratory. It can now end up either enhanced or 'messed up'.

1.Good Alterations. For example:
    Enhancement such as
    • Increased speed

• Increased effiency

• Increased level (should be very rare tough)

• Increased armor...

...you get the point, this could be all aspects of the creatures stats etc.

OR, if things go wrong, (as they often will), the creature will suffer from a affliction.
    Afflictions.
    This could be basically the same thing, but the other way around.
    • Made Unhappy/Angry

• Lowered efficency

• Decreased level

• Curse/Disease

• Turned into gold/stone

• Enemy creatures are experimented upon, and then released. On their way back into your enemies dungeon, their spread rumors about how they were tested on. This will lower the affected creatures morale, in this case, their effiency. (Good idea Metal Gear! )

etc...

All this would then of course be temporary, or until fixed/cured in the temple.
    ---

2. Mutations (creds to Blutonium for this idea)
    The 'mutating' tables will be 2-3 tables in size, connected with eachother. It's purpose's will be to merge creatures into new ones.
    This could just like the alterations end up in either success or failure.

• A success could be two dragons merged togheter into a two headed dragon.

• A failure could be a wothless blob, or freak with seemingly no use.

My opinion regarding mutations is that they should be permantent. They are undoable and cannot be 'cured' in any way. Otherwise this could be just like the cliché: "I both want eat the cookie and keep it".

---

I imagine the laboratory to be of great use, it could quickly (if lucky) even the scales in an uneven battle. For example, you find your dungeon breached by high level enemy creatures, and you quickly realize you have no chance of winning this battle.

You now have 2 options; 1 fight to the death OR 2, throw some of your low-med level creatures in the laboratory and end up with maybe some of them with increased levels and maybe a strong mutant creature. This might give you some greater chances of survival.

---

As mentioned before, this room require both research and labour specific for this room. The research will increase the chances that your own creatures end up with a good alteration, and bigger chances for successfull merging of creatures.

The creatures performing the work made in this room could also affect the outcome of the experiments. For example a high level warlock will always perform way better than a lesser one.

For the experiments, there is a % chance of each outcome. For example, to obtain an increased level, should be quite 'hard' maybe a 10% chance, altered speed 20%, made unhappy/angry 15% , mutated creature turned into a raging beast who breaks free and wreaks havoc in your dungeon 3% etc etc...

If you do have any suggestions/ideas/criticism please post it here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walkthrough2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	91  
    Last edited by Reaper; December 8th, 2009 at 20:00.

Default Re: Laboratory

I like it.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

This sounds like the Temple.

Curing diseases.

Creating units, by sacrifice...
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Like It? I Friggen Love this Idea!!

Would be a cool way to get new creatures or something as well - but on the flip side could also fail the experiment, and turn into some deformed mush of a creature

it works like this:
    almost like a temple, where you put two creatures in, which then turns it into some sort of new, "merged creature" ?

like put a tentacle and a spider in there, and get some sort of mutated 8 legged tentacle thing?

For the merges that we don't support (Models I don't make, or just plain silly merges), the experiment is then simply considered a failure, and all that comes out is a weird, deformed, almost useless blobby minion thing ?

Considering the vast amount of creatures there are, it looks like you'll have some work to do Bluto.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    This sounds like the Temple.

Curing diseases.

Creating units, by sacrifice...
    Sorry I maybe was'nt explaining to well: creating some kinds of creatures, zombies etc.
    It's not meant to work like the temple in which you can summon all various creatures depening on which creatures you put in it. It should just be harder to obtain these, and the experiments demands labour from workers/researchers to be completed. Heroes/captured creatures/your own creatures can be "sacrificed" as raw materials, but depending on their level, the outcome will be different:
    • Type of creatures that can be created
    • Level of these

More research within this room allows reduced creatiuon time, effiency of the laborers, level of created creatures etc...

Maybe the Tentacle can be created in this room?

Like It? I Friggen Love this Idea!!

Would be a cool way to get new creatures or something as well - but on the flip side could also fail the experiment, and turn into some deformed mush of a creature

it works like this:
    almost like a temple, where you put two creatures in, which then turns it into some sort of new, "merged creature" ?

like put a tentacle and a spider in there, and get some sort of mutated 8 legged tentacle thing?

For the merges that we don't support (Models I don't make, or just plain silly merges), the experiment is then simply considered a failure, and all that comes out is a weird, deformed, almost useless blobby minion thing ?
    Good idea, hmm I bet you people have lote of ideas on this one, so you're welcome to share them

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Maybe the Tentacle can be created in this room?
    Tentacle should remain attracted by the Temple, and created from a Sacrifice in the Temple.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Considering the vast amount of creatures there are, it looks like you'll have some work to do Bluto.
    Meh, i'm up for it!

it doesn't need to be HD Quality like the rest, since they won't feature in the intro, etc...

We just need to make a list of formulas, and then i'll modify the models & textures (After all the original models are done)

eg:
    1) Spider + Tentacle = Mega Tentacle
    2) Dragon + Hellhound = Two Headed Dragon
    3) Bile Demon + Spider = Some Huge-ass Tarantula-like Spider
    4) Skeleton + Hellhound = Undead Hound (A Skeleton Dog)
    5) Mistress + Spider = that spider thing in DK2 (Can't remember, wasn't a DK2 Fan)
    6) Imp + Imp = Four armed Imp ala Goro Style, armed with two pick axes, that works a lot faster.
    7) Skeleton + Any Human = Zombie
    8) etc, etc

and then all I do is add a few legs on the tantacle, make it "stronger" etc
    or duplicate the dragon neck + head and mirror it to make two heads - EASY.
    or duplicate the imp's arms and give him some "mutated features"

ZBrush is very cool with Destroying / "Mushing up" a Model - can get some interesting Effects Quite Quickly once the HD Model is there to be modified..

look, I know some are gonna require a bit more work but if the programmers are OKAY for this new room idea I am Up for it.

This will bring much needed "Freshness" To our project - something new, something exciting!

you don't know what you gonna get, sometimes you gonna get an uber cool creature other times you are gonna get a mushed up blobby creature because you failed, by mixing a Spider and a Fly (or whatever that wouldn't work). You will have to Experiment!

Then if some thing gos horribly wrong you get some weird ass blob thing and then a voice saying "please... kill me"
    Last edited by A New Room; December 2nd, 2009 at 15:34.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Put this in the temple, we dont have a room for 2 identical rooms