Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DK1 Now Free To DL On Origin

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EnkerZan XFIRE ID: enkerz4n

Default DK1 Now Free To DL On Origin

As the topic says, you can download Dungeon Keeper 1 for free on Origin. You may need to revise the installation of Keeper FX now that this is available.

Default Re: DK1 Now Free To DL On Origin

I don't have Origin, but if you tell me what needs to change on these installation instructions to help with installing KeeperFX on the Origin version, I'd be happy to update the wiki.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I don't have Origin, but if you tell me what needs to change on these installation instructions to help with installing KeeperFX on the Origin version, I'd be happy to update the wiki.
    The installer needs to be programmed to recognize the Origin install and all of the CD files that are in it.

The installer most likely already works, it's about pointing to the right directory with files.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    The installer most likely already works, it's about pointing to the right directory with files.
    Right, it needs to be programmed to recognize the CD files that are on the drive and not looking for them on a CD. Installation doesn't continue until you feed it a CD to grab files that it wants.

Again, the installer will not be changed, it's the instructions how to use it that will be changed. The launcher is simply looking for the files and doesn't care if they are on a CD or not. These files will somehow be included with the Origin release, so all that is needed is to give the player instructions on where to find those files so he can point the launcher to it.

The launcher will than work just fine, just like it now does from the original disk, the GOG version or even older KeeperFX installations.

EDIT: To install KeeperFX with the origin release, point the Launcher not towards the 'Dungeon Keeper' folder, but the 'data' folder inside it.
    Last edited by YourMaster; September 15th, 2019 at 22:29.

Imp

I have this game on Origin as well and the installer cannot get the files it needs because they are most likely built into the game.dat file in the install. So Enker is kind of right, the installer needs to be modified to accommodate the Origin version of Dungeon Keeper.

If you can't do it manually, the installer can't do it either. First somebody who owns the origin version has to go beyond 'probably' and figure out exactly how to get the files the game requires. If they are indeed in a .dat file, it needs to be figured out what the format is of this file and how to get them out. Installing the origin version first might get the files released somehow, or perhaps like on GOG the .dat file is actually an image file that can be mounted, or perhaps we're out of luck completely and we can't get to them, in which case KeeperFX just isn't compatible with origin, and changing the installer won't help.

Imp

I guess you guys will have to download it and it and find out. heh