Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ogre

Tentacle
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Evifire

Default Re: Ogre

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Onatu View Post
    You dont like the buggy Pixie. Lol. Should have spoke up my dear boy. LOUD AND CLEAR, and please Keep your Beholder in your trousers, I dont wanna stare into its eyes. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.
    =P

I would speak up, except I'm not allowed to share my concerns in the secret dev threads. But he has pm'd me and asked me of my thoughts, and I told him my suggestions.

Anyhow.

@James

I know some people don't dislike it, but I heard most do. xD

But there are alot of ideas being thrown around. Alot.
    Last edited by Evi; June 21st, 2011 at 21:44.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daharka Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Evi View Post
    =P

I would speak up, except I'm not allowed to share my concerns in the secret dev threads. But he has pm'd me and asked me of my thoughts, and I told him my suggestions.

Anyhow.

@James

But there are alot of ideas being thrown around.
    I, ahem, like it.Its a nice contrast to the Fairy in my opinion

Default Re: Ogre Say No No

You dont like the buggy Pixie. Lol. Should have spoke up my dear boy. LOUD AND CLEAR,]
    Sometimes we have to make executive decisions -- especially when it comes to /art/ everyone will generally have a different take on what it should look like.
    I'm sorry if your suggestion doesn't quite look like what you had in mind -- but keep in mind that we have all creatures in mind when we design new concepts and must make decisions not only based upon the creature, but also based upon other requirements (semi-explained lower).

@James
    Fair enough

(semi-explained: lower)
    Community concerns often help point us in the right direction but at some point we have to decide on a specific design based upon end result needs --
    such as:
    what the creature will look like in-game (low-res), especially in the fact that all creatures must be easily discernible / iconic / unique in some way that makes them stand out as "that" creature -- sometimes this causes us to ignore some suggestions because they would end up looking similar to another already-created creature // too similar to another concept that is in process.

I hope that makes sense and that you understand we're not just throwing out ideas for arbitrary / nonexistent reasons. We have a method and it's working so far.

Sorry if none of that makes sense!

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Edit:
    A specific example might help, in regards to the Fairy/Pixie suggestions we needed them to be noticeably different from each other -- unfortunately most of the suggested concepts would look too similar in-game.
    We tossed around a handful of ideas (I believe they are posted somewhere for everyone to see) and eventually settled upon the current design for the Pixie. Sorry if it's not what you wanted! You might learn to love it though (I know as well as you do that it's hard to let go of an idea once you're attached to it).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oggrr

Ogre approves of Ogre! Love the idea, Ogres really are evil and have a big stomach and small brain.

Ogre actually comes from the french Le Ogre, and is used in tales about giant men eating and kidnapping children. Might be something evil to add to its already evil status.

What about making him a bit more "put together'ish" like insted of the big ass mace, have his arms be long bulk stumps with spikes (sence the keeper ordered his minion to put long nails through its arms, as its alot better in combat). Make him more deform and battle worn, maybe a wooden leg (no pirate wooden legs please, something more grizzly). Have armor attached directly to the skin or bones.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

The Ogre is too close to the Troll and Orcs for my liking. Even the Goblin is in the same vein as them in my books.
    They look completely different though. Only simularity I see is that the Goblin is green, short, and humanoid. They don't have the big nose or the same face that appears to run in the family.

We've all seen a Witch before, or know what a Demon is and have heard of a Hellhound but when we saw them in DK1 they were not like how the world had usually seen them. The Witch was a Hero in DK1. A hero!!!
    You should know that the Witch is only her script name. She is the Priestess. Not all the Script Names were fully correct. DEMONSPAWN was one word for example. Beetle was calld BUG, Mountain Dwarf was called DWARFA, etc.

The Ogre... I think a no for him because it could be so much more original than just, well just another Ogre. The Orc to me is the most unique Orc I’ve ever seen. In a world where they are usually humanoid, man eating angry bastards, the small, shield and hammer carrying pink skinned, white haired, bundle of anger was awesome.
    The Troll, well he was pretty much a Troll but at least he wasn’t the stereotypical dumb Troll of stories. He was smart and the best manufacturer you could get.
    There's nothing wrong with having the Creatures resemble what they're supposed to be. I find that the details of an Ogre's appearance is a bit different from what I expect an Ogre to be, as well as some of the characteristics about him. These are due to his actual Troll/Orc relationship and his own personal history.

Rex, if you really want to make it an Ogre then do something Grande to spice it up. If not, change it from being an Ogre. Make up a frigging Creature. I do it all the time, lol.
    If I did that too much, I don't think they'd really fit in well with most of the Creatures in Dungeon Keeper. I find the Ogre fits the role I want filled and also fits well inside the Dungeon Keeper universe. You may not think he's interesting, but it seems other people do.

Quote Originally Posted by james.heinichen View Post
    Sometimes we have to make executive decisions -- especially when it comes to /art/ everyone will generally have a different take on what it should look like.
    I'm sorry if your suggestion doesn't quite look like what you had in mind -- but keep in mind that we have all creatures in mind when we design new concepts and must make decisions not only based upon the creature, but also based upon other requirements (semi-explained lower).
    I think that's fine and all but there is such a thing as going too far with that. If you ask me, the insect Pixie's appearance is very unfitting considering some of the things she does and her character as well. I find it to be quite stupid to be honest. I think a Demon Pixie would be a way to get her a little distant from the Fairy while also capturing her character and how she likes to play pranks on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Ogre approves of Ogre! Love the idea, Ogres really are evil and have a big stomach and small brain.
    I knew the Ogre would like the Ogre, after all, he's an Ogre and Ogres like other Ogres.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Ogre actually comes from the french Le Ogre, and is used in tales about giant men eating and kidnapping children. Might be something evil to add to its already evil status.
    I dunno if I'd want to add that. It seems very fitting for this version of the Ogre. They don't really have anything against children, but rather Heroes. And I don't think they'd eat them (well they're stupid so they actually might try a bite) but rather they'd beat them up. Really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MarThing View Post
    Make him more deform and battle worn, maybe a wooden leg (no pirate wooden legs please, something more grizzly).
    I dunno, I think it is also pretty unfitting. The Ogre only recently appeared to join the fight, I don't think he should have anything that makes him look battle worn.

Quote Originally Posted by MarThing View Post
    Have armor attached directly to the skin or bones.
    He has a low Armor Stat, his only Armor is his skin. This might contradict with that factor logically, and also drive him away from the Orc/Troll relationship which I'm against obviously.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!