Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Editor

Default Editor

I guess it's about time to write about this, so that our dear programmers would consider this.

We, of course, will need a powerful map editor for our game. Modding - is one of those things that keep a game alive for a long time. A good editor means a better game satisfaction and variability.
    But I do not want to talk about the Editor that we will have for maps. I want to talk about the built-in random map generator. I think this feature is very important, for both online battles and more varied gameplay. Not every player is an expert at creating maps, remember, we will have a lot of casual players, who simply want to push three buttons and play a new map, like In Heroes, or in Tiberian Sun.

A map generator would generate maps according to these preferences:

Amount of players ( well, I would dream of having at least 8 players =D 12 would make me a happy panda.)

Size (small, medium, large, Xl?)

Terrain (if we have different terrains, like in dk1. Snow, dirt, other..)

Amount of water. ( 0-5, having no water at zero and maybe lakes from my lake idea at 4-5)

Amount of lava. (pretty similar to water)

Amount of impenetrable areas. (I hope we could have a manageable solution, making a varying amount of impenetrable areas, and at the same time, calculating the possible paths so that there would be no "barricaded" keepers)

Amount of gold. (this could be set from 1 to 5, with having gem mines on level 5, for example)

Amount of goodies ( 0-5, with zero referring to no goodies, 1-3 referring to random encounters of small parties of 1-3 creatures and 4-5 referring to small "castles", areas with rooms, hero lairs, hero portals and a lot of heroes.)

Amount of specials. (0-5, from none to 10 maybe? having an increase of 2 specials per 1 point.)

Bonuses. (1-5, this would include small neutral rooms, creatures, mana vaults, manufactured stuff and any other stuff that we are planning to implement.)

Mirror map. (this is either ON or OFF, having equal parts of everything for all players. absolutely smilar amount of space, gold, etc. Very good for online tournaments, where everyone has same opportunities.)

Possible additional game modes:

"Common elimination" ( a general free-for-all map. It is either ON or OFF, cant have 2 or more modes at the same time.)

"Friends" (alliance map. map creator may have an additional menu, where he/she would be able to set alliances with any player he wants. Single rivals are possible too. It is either ON or OFF, cant have 2 or more modes at the same time.)

"Time rush"(one-two player map, where after X time Y amount of heroes with/without a landlord come to crush you. It is either ON or OFF, cant have 2 or more modes at the same time)

"Wipe 'em out" (you and your rivals have to kill as many hero parties as possible, in a given amount of time. By the end of time limit player who has most kills wins. Either ON or OFF, cant have 2 or more modes at the same time)

"Ultimate defense"
    (similar to time rush, with the only difference of having a pre-built castle, with constantly attacking waves of enemies)

Something else.
    Last edited by Hapuga; December 10th, 2009 at 17:18.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Default Re: Editor

any comments?

I think it would be a great idea to have a random map generator, but unfountly i've only used the DK1 level editor, so I can't comment much about new ideas, but it would be nice if you could change a large area instead of each tile.

I remember that setting in Tiberian Sun was really great fun! Though it took someone who really knew what they were doing to get it to be evenly balanced. I think there was also something similar in Warlords: Battlecry 3.

I like the idea.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

If this can be implemented, i will weap tears of joy.

As is, i'm still sceptical that we'll get the WFTO project completed or even in beta. Sorry, but i don't want my hopes up. Surprise me!
    Creature Profile Here

Hellhound

Bump for important topic.

could we add the ability to "create" your on rooms/ creatures? Oh, and can you please make it possible to change the first-persion view (helmet, blurred, etc.)?

I did not quite understand what you mean. If you mean open modding, I guess it will be open for community.

Sticked.

Please offer suggestions for improvement.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by natchoguy View Post
    could we add the ability to "create" your on rooms/ creatures? Oh, and can you please make it possible to change the first-persion view (helmet, blurred, etc.)?
    If I recall there's an ability in the DK2 Editor Pro that allows you to increase or decrease the number of creatures. Unfortunately it crashes if the value changes. I think he's asking for some support on that.

Maybe while not actually adding in new meshes and such, it could be done by using current meshes and sounds and all that, but make it support that kind of feature for those less advanced who are happy with creatures looking the same as long as there are more.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

But won't this be very akward to implement, It's an amazing idea and all, but what if it generatess a crap map alot?