Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Editor

Default Re: Editor

Kyle, we will see as how it goes. Remember, and editor is a mirror of the engine. If the engine is well built, the editor will be more complicated. if the engine is primitive, there will be a limited or no editor.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

I hadn't noticed this........
    Ok first thing first: you want to bring me to suicide right?

@Searing, we are now working hard to make all this happen, so don't be so pessimist

@Natcho, don't know if I'm gonna be capable of doing something like this, but I'll try. Anyway I think the code could be open for the community to modify, but we have yet to decide this. About the FPS view, there are actually functions which make this happen, but we should change some parts of the code to make it happen. I suggest you to open a thread in the Suggestions section and state exactly what you would like to see in FPS view, so we can consider adding it.

Anyway if I'm going to make it and implement an editor, I'm gonna ascend to the gods realm.

Don't overkill yourself, Jack. For now I will be happy with something that lets me at least do something. Any tool will work.

It's more then possible to build a random map generator externally. In essence, a 2d map will suffice since it'll use a tileset. Our maps will probably be somewhere between 50x50 to 500x500 tiles. in comparison, dwarf fortess generates random maps for roughly 300 milion tiles in about a minute. It checks pathing in that same timeframe.

The problem here is getting it generated externally (I dont see unreal script being the ideal tool to do this), and then being able to import them back into the engine. Í'd say wait on it for now, until we have an idea of the actual engine.

I really do think a map editor is going to be tough. Our current map editor (udk) is extemely powerful, but not very user friendly, since building the map takes about 1% of what it's capable of. We're not allowed to modify UDK, only the engine. Which would boil down to having an ingame map editor if we wanted to do this for the public.

Honestly, right now, I'd have to say lets keep at the engine, and get it to do what we need it to do. At this phase, map makers could use excel or any speadsheet do draw out map concepts. Those without excel could even start on square boxed paper, scan it in and post it. It might not be an ideal solution, since theres little visual feedback, but it's better then no progress. The translation from map will either have to be made through importing a file, or be manually assembled by a level builder. But once again, both of those options are better then no progress.

ps. One note on multiple players. I'm not sure it's possible to get 8 players in there, let alone 12. An end-game player would have at least 50 imps. 400 imps alone is more actors then I've seen unreal engine handle at one time, let alone your actual army. It's something we're going to have to figure out by trial and error. For now though, getting 2 players to work the way they need to is enough of a challange, methinks.
    Last edited by DonJoe; January 15th, 2011 at 19:09.

I agree with Don, we should focus on the UDK for now... I had an idea concerning the level creation, but it involves a lot of hard work for the map makers and probably the requirements could prove to be too high, unless I figure out some way to "activate" the digged blocks only when they are digged... Need to think a lot about it...

Anyway hang on guys, we're gonna make it one way or another

we could get some ideas off age of empries 3. that had a really good map generator!

Yeah but the problem actually is figuring out how to create the map. As I said having map makers placing block by block the walls around the map is not my best idea, but is the first which came to my mind Naturally I hope I can figure out something easier and make it compatible with UDK. Any idea is accepted gladly :P

preset characteristics? Default values? Like, when you generate a map of xy size, it by default has all borders as "border" and all the rest as "diggable".

BTW, I am sure you know this already, but all "random" map generators are not random at all. They use a specific pattern that will always have similarities.

For example, "random" gold pattern. You choose whether you have low, medium or high gold density. For example, 1 2 or 3 gold chunks will appear on the map near your base. Each chunk has a preset distance between them, and a preset gold territory. Lets say, each chunk consists of 5-8 pieces of gold that appear on 5x5 area. The program then throws a random number and scatters the gold chunks and individual gold veins in each area. Same with other mechanics.

Anyway, who am I teaching, you are the programmer =)))
    Last edited by Hapuga; January 17th, 2011 at 20:23.

Ahahahhahaha Don't worry I always need informations, they help me focus my mind
    Anyway maybe I had some kind of idea about simplifing the transformation between brick -> ground -> conquered ground -> room. It involves states and updating things and...blablabla... Ok anyway I still need some kind of "brush" to simplify the work for you map creators... **thinking...thinking...thinking...**

Hey guys, a little heads up.

Me and (probably) Frederikus will start working on a map editor.