Thread: Advanced Mapmaking Help?

Smile Advanced Mapmaking Help?

So, recently, I've decided to create a new campaign for DK2. With head full of ideas and arms full of energy I've begun my work. However, then I remembered that I'm unfortunately not a very good mapmaker, so far only having done some simple multiplayer/skirmish maps... so, here I am asking for some help

1. Is there any way to make a creature disappear by using triggers? I want a creature to just sort of go away after certain amount of time has passed, but I'm not sure it's possible... if it is, how?

2. How do I set conditions for winning the level, e.g. you have to kill certain creature or claim a certain room?

3. Is it possible to have more than one condition for winning, e.g. you have to kill a certain creature AND claim a certain room?

That's pretty much it... for now

Thanks in advance :P

Default Re: Advanced Mapmaking Help?

1. This is set to the creature directly.

T When time x = y
    A (creature) remove from map.

2. The easiest way to use flags. for example.

you want to kill imp to win game. Set a trigger to the imp

T When this creature killed
    A set flag 1=0

and set trigger to your player (player 1)
    T when flag 1=0
    A win game

3. you can have as many conditions as you like.

explore thoughtfully all the tabs of both triggers and action points. They'll tell you quite a lot. It's pretty intuitive, as long as youre not going to create something extravagantly difficult.

just remember a simple thing. if you want an action with a creature, 95% the trigger will go to the creature. Otherwise, some options may not show up. Same with other stuff. Be sure that youre putting a trigger to the right place.
    Good luck.

P.S. ahh, and remember one more thingie. You do not necessarily have to have an action exactly after a trigger. you may have 2 or more triggers following each other, and then giving the last one some actions. This is done mainly when you want to check some parameters at the same time.

For example, you want to delete a creature when time is 200 seconds, and you killed some creature.

Lets say, you gave a trigger to that killed creature to set flag 1 =0 upon death. So our formula for removing that creature from map will be:

(Creature)
    T When time = 200
    T when flag 1=0
    A remove from map.

Why did we do it? Simple. We want to remove a creature when both parameters are true. If one of parameters is false, then abort the command. If the creature with the trigger is still alive, the creature that you've decided to remove will not disappear =) aint it fun? you can set various rules for many aspects of the game, making the gameplay very vivid and interesting.

Looks like one hell of a difficulty. After some time you'll love it Actually DK2 editor is very flexible. Some things there do not work, like, changing creature critical health, changing attack speed, some flag issues, etc. but in overall, its a massive mechanism.
    Last edited by Hapuga; December 13th, 2009 at 02:54.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

So I've messed about a bit, and my first 'campaign' map seems to work so far... besides one thing.

The blue computer keeper doesn't dig for gold, at all. He has like a few gem seals next to his dungeon heart, and he has several tiles of treasure room, awaiting to be filled with gold. But he doesn't seem to want gold, unlike his creatures, which tend to rebel and often kill him before I can do anything

The gold digging pattern is very weird for AI.

First, make sure that gold veins are in chunks near his base, 4-6 pieces at least AI ignores single veins.

Now about the Gem mine. I figured out that the best place for gem seam is right in the wall near Dungeon Heart.

X - wall, D - dungeon heart, c - claimed land, G- gem

X X X X X X X
    X c c c c c X
    X c D D D c X
    X c D D D c X
    X c D D D c X
    X c c c c c X
    X X X X X X X

Here's ur normal layout. now, put gems Here: (supposing that your keeper is near the WEST map end. if it's east, use reverse, if North South - flip vertically.

X X G X X G X
    X c c c c c X
    X c D D D c X
    X c D D D c X
    X c D D D c X
    X c c c c c X
    X X G X X G X

Don't put in any other places, it will bug him out. He will either ignore them, or try to dig through them, trying to expand, and if Gem seam is in his way, he will bug out.

I've put in purple bad gem positions.
    Last edited by Hapuga; December 13th, 2009 at 15:22.

OK, thanks, that sort of worked (I also had to reduce the amount of gold the keeper has at the start).

Now, my map seems to come along pretty well, it's almost complete, just need to script some paths for the heroes to guard... which seems to be quite simple

Another question - Is there any way to display a text to the keeper, like display a message or something?

use the dk str tool, to edit messages.

then simply add those to the map in editor.

I never use it.

Uhm, ok, I used the tool and edited some placeholders from level 1 .str file, but now I'm not sure what to do. I know how to add it to the level, but even then, how do I choose the source file from which the map should I get it's strings? There is option to choose some IDs for the text files but still, I am not sure which one is which.

Any help would be appreciated

I suggest you to read the manual carefully, it explains quite well how to edit and select the needed text strings.

There is no more help I can provide on this topic since I never used this function.