Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeons And Keepers 21-map campaign 2017

Default Re: NEW CAMPAIGN Dungeons And Keepers 21-map campaign 2017

On a second time I would more easily be able to do so yes, but realize the level for persons not being you is a big unknown, and I was in a big rush because of the message that said 'hero parties are already on the way'. I just scouted the west dungeons with my reaper, but simply assumed going north was not an option and thought I had to quickly take over the east dungeon before the parties would come. And a lvl2 reaper just can't take on two knights and all those other heroes.
    Another option would be to just tweak the initial objective - don't talk about the hero parties just jet, but only give that information when the portal is claimed and the timer for the parties start. This will give the player more time to think about the level before starting out for real, making it more manageable. What I've seen so far is that you make good maps with lots going on, so players need time to take it all in.

EDIT:
    Completed lvl5-Exorcism. Simple but fun map, it works. I went about it with little trouble, and it is a nice pallet cleanser after the last map. At the end I almost lost, as gold had been abundant but I suddenly found myself short on cash after the increasingly expensive paydays and I still had destroy walls to cast with no more gold available and the gems also behind the walls. Selling some rooms put me over the line towards the needed cash and an easy kill of the avatar.
    Last edited by YourMaster; February 23rd, 2017 at 00:35.

Updated to v1.3. As hopefully all script errors (only one critical, in lvl 2 and one major in lvl 17) have been fixed, will update next time based on feedback.
    -marshlands gold relocated
    -salvager added lose condition
    -false god no longer needed to convert knight
    -fixed some typos
    -minor lvl design change in pyre
    -fixed script in jynxed
    -party too big in silence fixed
    -changed objectives in currents and tomb raid
    Last edited by kix; February 23rd, 2017 at 20:50.

I've played the 6th level, Trolls Stroll, still on the previous version. The first few times I died at the start, with a party spawning inside my dungeon before I claimed the portal or losing my troll to tentacles or whatever. Once I knew I had to rush to boulder traps and besides the tentacles it was safe to claim the portal I possessed my troll kill the tentacles to claim the portal, build a boulder trap and the rest of the map was very, very easy. Every payday the party that spawned inside my dungeon would die to boulders within 2 seconds, and the remote party would eventually die when they came close enough to die to boulders. With 16 trolls you have enough boulders to never see an enemy party. I mostly turtled until I had a troll with fireball to take out the archers defending the reveal map special when I noticed parties stopped coming.
    Looking at the map revealed there was nothing left to do - some heroes defending stuff I did not need, but no avatar, heart or knight to kill. My objective still said 'don't build more workshop'. I looked at the script to find out on this map I had to kill all heroes for the avatar to spawn. My advice is to add another objective on what to do to win after the workshop one. I used boulders to take out all the other heroes when I got a timer and an objective to patiently wait for 8 minutes until the avatar would show up. Boring, used frameskip because now there really was nothing to do, the short path between where the avatar would spawn and my heart was already filled with traps and all my creatures lvl10. There was not a single unit left to kill. The avatar then spawned with some tunnelers, who died to the traps right away. Avatar being immune to boulder survived the path to my heart with half health, where it was sniped in seconds by my army.

This map has potential, but I think the boulders make it too easy. I'd say don't spawn the initial party inside the dungeon or not so soon, and take away the boulder traps. I also don't see the point in forcing the player to slowly take out all those heroes,.... why don't you spawn the avatar when the player builds the 36th tile of workshop?
    And I think it's an accident that there are two speed spells on the map, and a destroy walls spell you get through the script and another on the map.

EDIT:
    I just completed level 7 - False God. Very interesting level, and because of the reveal map special quite manageable. The first time I did not read the objective properly, and thought I only had to kill both keepers, so I did three suicide runs to free as many heroes as possible on both sides. This left me without creatures and both keepers death, and apparently a set of avatars to kill with just imps. On a restart I carefully killed the north keeper with just enough heroes so I could kill the remaining heroes and take over the north dungeon. I let my knight be the true hero and with speed and in possession I managed to free all avatars and other heroes to kill the south keeper easily. I might have been able to kill the remaining heroes at this point, but instead I let the avatars inside my dungeon one by one to convert them for an easy victory.
    Last edited by YourMaster; February 25th, 2017 at 00:00.

I've nearly managed to complete the first level of your campaign. I notice there is no training room so I have this question. How do you defeat the level 10 Monks and the two level 10 Knights that are in the prison to the east?

YourMaster, Trolls Stroll objective says clear this land of any heroes to win. This of course is later replaced when you build workshop which I guess was unfortunate. Thinking of remaking this level to be able to collect boulder traps troughout the map, as the traps will not be enough to kill off the (new) heroes parties so you have to go both offensive and defensive. I'll see if I have time.
    Well done on False God.

Quote Originally Posted by darkkingkongman View Post
    I've nearly managed to complete the first level of your campaign. I notice there is no training room so I have this question. How do you defeat the level 10 Monks and the two level 10 Knights that are in the prison to the east?
    The whole "room" is a transfer creature mini puzzle. You need the prison to claim transfer creature - releasing max lvl heroes when claimed, but do you really need to defeat them ?

The whole "room" is a transfer creature mini puzzle. You need the prison to claim transfer creature - releasing max lvl heroes when claimed, but do you really need to defeat them?

Yes I think you do, because the level is scripted that way by the author of this campaign.

kix is the author of course. And you can complete this map by destroying the white heart and then the avatar that spawns. No need to kill all heroes.
    So beat the map first, then if you want the transfer special go to that mini dungeon, capture the prison but don't fight those heroes. Wait for them to leave and before they kill you claim the special and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    kix is the author of course. And you can complete this map by destroying the white heart and then the avatar that spawns. No need to kill all heroes.
    So beat the map first, then if you want the transfer special go to that mini dungeon, capture the prison but don't fight those heroes. Wait for them to leave and before they kill you claim the special and use it.
    It took some working out but I managed to kill the heroes that were imprisoned by casting multiple bolts of lightning with the lightning spell at them and have them walk through a long corridor of about 50 poison gas traps. It was tough but I managed to beat the level eventually.

What is the proposed solution to Salvager? The map where you start with 6 reapers.

On a related note, you didn't connect the portals to the AI keeper's dungeon so new creatures can't do anything when they arrive. Either connect with an open path, or make the portals neutral so the AI keeper will dig toward it.

- - -
    What the hell dude, how does Currents not result in a pathing crash?
    Last edited by Woudo; February 26th, 2017 at 07:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Woudo View Post
    What is the proposed solution to Salvager? The map where you start with 6 reapers.
    On a related note, you didn't connect the portals to the AI keeper's dungeon so new creatures can't do anything when they arrive. Either connect with an open path, or make the portals neutral so the AI keeper will dig toward it.
    - - -
    What the hell dude, how does Currents not result in a pathing crash?
    In Salvager you have to destroy the guard post that prevents your reapers from attacking the other keepers. The only thing you can do at this point is to drop your imps on an unclaimed path around portal and dig to the west so you find a neutral creature. Don't pick him up!
    Will remove keepers' portals with next update - this will be only 'aesthetic' - the map is fully playable.

I don't know, out of 6 plays no crashes. Which is of course a good thing but still save once a while in water based levels.