Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KeeperFX Imp idling

Default KeeperFX Imp idling

Hi Guys im new to this keeper klan i used to play this game a while ago its really nice to see that the graphics great and the game is alive again

i have noticed though while playing imps idle alot i have searched if there is a fix or something but i couldn't find any so thought i might ask you guys if there is a fix to it or something?

thanks again

Default Re: KeeperFX Imp idling

On what level is this happening?

Imps will continuously go idle if they can't reach your dungeon heart. The heart is used in their pathing routines, so if you're say, trying to mine gold outside the walls of your dungeon or on the opposite side of a bridgeless lava river, the imps will get confused and fail to automate themselves.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: impboy44 Steam ID: impboy44

I've had this happen even if they can reach the dungeon heart. I had to slap them or pick them up and re-drop them where they are to resume whatever they were doing.

The only problem with idle imps I've had was when there was nothing to do except to mine gems. Isn't this what you're experiencing?

Thanks for the replay guys

In regards to the dungeon heart i will investigate and try that out because i believe i was trapping the IMPs maybe thats the issue

kix to be honest i noticed it even if there was other things to do for imps they still idle

Don't forget you can always share a save-file you make when you see something strange happening.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EnkerZan XFIRE ID: enkerz4n

Quote Originally Posted by kix View Post
    The only problem with idle imps I've had was when there was nothing to do except to mine gems. Isn't this what you're experiencing?
    I wish that bug could be found and squashed permanently. It makes the first snow level stupidly difficult because the Imps just refuse to mine gems in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Enker-Zan View Post
    I wish that bug could be found and squashed permanently. It makes the first snow level stupidly difficult because the Imps just refuse to mine gems in there.
    This is rendering the game unplayable. That might sound hyperbolic but it is.

I've gone so far as locking imps in the gem/treasure room and they sit around sucking pipes once they've fortified the walls (which they shouldn't even have done as that is something they should do when idle, or dropped next to the wall).

Tried dropping more imps into the area than can mine from the source and still, even an entire imp army, nothing. I run out of money over and over unless I sit there picking them up and dropping them at the gems.

In regards to them needing a path to the dungeon heart, I don't remember this problem in the original and I've also tried locking the Dungeon Heart into the same area described and the problem persists.

This so unfortunately, truly renders KeeperFX unplayable for many maps. What's adding salt to it is those levels are often the ones I most enjoy as the gems allowed you to make an expensive dungeon.

For example Tulipscent, which has a single side of gems available from the start. I ended up having to restart it because I was continually running out of money while not even training creatures except for the two Reapers and a few imps for lvl3. I thought restarting and getting a Workshop early would allow me to lock the imps in with the gems and I'd be able to sell things from the Workshop, even so I ran out of money with idle imps and untouched gems. The only time my gold increases is if babysitting the imps.

I've finished KeeperFX before, very long ago, and don't remember this, at least not so horrifically.

Sad to say but Dungeon Keeper without working imps results in a broken game.

This is something I could potentially (partially) fix/change, but I've not noticed any problems myself. You're not the first one to notice, so I believe the behavior is different, but I need a clear way to test if I want to try and change this. So if you have a saved game where you have imps not mining where they should, please share it.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    This is something I could potentially (partially) fix/change, but I've not noticed any problems myself. You're not the first one to notice, so I believe the behavior is different, but I need a clear way to test if I want to try and change this. So if you have a saved game where you have imps not mining where they should, please share it.
    If you or anyone could help correct this it would be so greatly appreciated. It's great having old games playable especially one as loved as Dungeon Keeper, I guess that's what makes it all the more frustrating when it gets so close but with some problem.

Been using the current latest KeeperFX + Nightly on the GOG game version, though do remember having this problem before but I've played it multiple times over the years so not sure when I first noticed one problem or another.

Link to save file
    https://mega.nz/#!1dQC2R6K!Jk467722s...RihfA3fNvF1hO8

During posting this after uploading the save I thought I'd try a few things, and eventually I unlocked the gem/treasury/heart which actually got them mining it again. Though I swear I only locked them in there because they weren't mining, even after fortifying pretty much everything. (perhaps imps outside the treasury had been tasked on the gems? edit: I remember once locking every single imp in the treasury and they still stopped so that can't be it either I guess)

I'm going to give the level another go an pay more attention to imps and their orders/jobs, maybe there's a certain circumstance in which this happens and by some chance I'll spot it.

Edit,,,,

I restarted that level again, from the save I always keep at the start, and this time the imps were fine. They weren't perfect but never have been so they were as expected this time, no mass imps sitting idle while the gems were tagged. I went about creating the dungeon almost identically to the two previous attempts with idle imp problems. Even though it was fine I tried locking them into the treasury and it kept going fine, releasing them again didn't seem to make much difference. So unfortunately I'm not sure what was causing it.
    Last edited by Undermountain; May 15th, 2017 at 22:26.