Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [DK2] Map Editor Size Limit

Default [DK2] Map Editor Size Limit

As I just recently explored the Map Editors Assembly-space with a Debugger, I easily turned up the 128x128 limit to a whopping 800x800 and I could go even further if I wanted to.

Thing is, did anyone else already release a tool with this kind of upped size-limit or am I missing something here?.
    Why has such a Tool not been released publicy already?

[EDIT]: Just hit a rock while having the map size set to 2048x2048, 1024x1024 works out, but for 2048x2048 I have to do some more "special" adjustments for it to work, I might not even be correct on this and it will fail eitherway, gotta try to do the experiment later.

[EDIT2]:
    Heres the edited Map Editor: https://openload.co/f/oJzjGulOi_M/DK...-SiLENTGATE.7z
    (Mirror): http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/ouyBUbCD/file.html
    VirusTotal Result: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/2...04cd/analysis/

all it is is a modified Map Editor executable designed for use to a max of 2048x2048 Maps.
    DO NOT USE LARGER MAPS THAN 1024x1024 For this I have also to edit the main game executable, I will do that sometime later if things go well.

Consider this as an Alpha version, as I still did not have an oppurtunity to test it out with many players at once, if you hit any performance hits let me know.

Technical Info:
    Map Editor: DK2 Editor pro
    Debugger: OllyDebugger
    Create New Level mapsize comparisons Somewhere near Address: 004582D6
    Resize Level mapsize comparisons Somewhere near Address: 0046502E
    Last edited by Nocalora; May 5th, 2017 at 20:53. Reason: Added the Map Editor to the first post

Default Re: [DK2] Map Editor Size Limit

As long as yuuge dungeons don't kill the A.I I would love to see this implemented. More community content!

Im gonna Release this when I get to playtest it a little bit more tonight with some friends of mine.

I don't want any unwanted side-effects of course.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: impboy44 Steam ID: impboy44

The hard limit on map size is 999x999.

Also, the bigger the map; the more memory your computer needs to run the map.

The hard limit (without modification) is 128x128, you cannot go further than that in the Map Editor.
    WITH modification you can achieve atleast 1024x1024 Maps, and probably a little bit more than that.

And I think in the year 2k17 computers wont have much of a problem handling an old game like DK2

EDIT: I just checked out how much RAM was needed to run a 1024x1024 Map, the results were fancy if you ask me
    139,704MB of RAM to run the Process, which is acceptable I think.
    Last edited by Nocalora; May 5th, 2017 at 19:38. Reason: RAM Allocation

Gamer IDs

I wouldn't say so sure; not everyone has lots of ram in their hard drive. Besides that, we need more keepers to accommodate the larger maps (five keepers isn't enough)

Isn't the problem with DK2 that keeper AI doesn't function well because they need too much space? Sounds like having bigger maps would solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by impboy4 View Post
    I wouldn't say so sure; not everyone has lots of ram in their hard drive. Besides that, we need more keepers to accommodate the larger maps (five keepers isn't enough)
    Im quite sure everyone got atleast 2GB of Ram nowadays, and if not, their computer is definitely not a computer suited for normal use. Even Office computers have atleast 2GB just to run MS Word and Apache OpenOffice.

I hate to break it down to you, but sadly Its almost impossible to add another Keeper, I would have to edit INSANE amounts of Addresses and do all kinds of crazy hacks just for simple things working out, Im sorry to say that but it would be better to just re-make the game on a newer Engine than trying to implement advanced features such as a fifth keeper.
    Last edited by Nocalora; May 5th, 2017 at 20:14.

Heres the edited Map Editor: https://openload.co/f/oJzjGulOi_M/DK...-SiLENTGATE.7z
    (Mirror): http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/ouyBUbCD/file.html
    VirusTotal Result: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/2...04cd/analysis/

all it is is a modified Map Editor executable designed for use to a max of 2048x2048 Maps.
    DO NOT USE LARGER MAPS THAN 1024x1024 For this I have also to edit the main game executable, I will do that sometime later if things go well.

Consider this as an Alpha version, as I still did not have an oppurtunity to test it out with many players at once, if you hit any performance hits let me know.
    Last edited by Nocalora; May 5th, 2017 at 20:10. Reason: Added Mirror

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Isn't the problem with DK2 that keeper AI doesn't function well because they need too much space? Sounds like having bigger maps would solve this.
    Well it depends; remember you can customize the ai to ignore rooms that need expansion.