Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Library [Mana Generation]

Demon Spawn

Default Library [Mana Generation]

Currently the Library has one function and one function only: Researching spells for you to use.
    Once all spells are researched the library is abandoned and all warlocks go to their lair where they will remain for the rest of their lives (excluding the occasional battle). Quite a boring fate.

Let's give the library a little bit more use than it has now. So that the room and the warlocks are useful for the entire map.

Mana Generation

I'm pretty sure we are going to use mana and as far as I know it's generation is based on the amount of 'tiles' your dungeon has claimed.
    Let's say that every warlock or other magical creature that is active in the Library will generate 5 or 10 tiles worth of mana. It's a small addition and they can keep doing it after everything is researched.
    This gives magical creatures something to do and keeps the Library an active place for an entire map.

Another option could be that researching warlocks only generate 5 tiles worth of mana and once everything is researched they could generate somewhat more mana, for example 10. It could also be level dependent: A level 5 warlock generates 5 tiles worth and a level 8 warlocks generate 8 tiles worth of mana. It's a matter of taste.

It's not abusable, you wont be getting huge boosts in mana generation. Let's take an extreme case, every warlock generate 10 tiles worth of mana. You have 10 warlocks so they generate a total bonus of 100 tiles of mana. A normal 5x5 room is 25 tiles. So that 100 bonus is equal to perhaps 4 rooms. Nothing impressive at all. It's simply there as a small bonus (which can be bigger or smaller depending on balance) and keeps the Library and Warlocks active for an entire map.
    Watching warlocks sleep is boring anyway.

Personally a value between 10 and 20 should be balanced, seeing the size of normal dungeons which easily reaches 400 tiles. (Big lairs and workshops are the main cause of this.)

Tentacle
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Evifire

Default Re: Library [Mana Generation]

I believe for the Library, we're making it so that Warlocks will just read for fun, instead of abandoning the Library.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

I like the sound of this idea, and evi's.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

I think kyle you forgot about the Temple. This will create the Mana Generation exist in two rooms which isn't really needed. The Library has enough use. Without it, you can't get any other Room or Spell. Do remember that Special Items are already stored there. You also need to guard your Library or you'll lose your Spells.

So yeah, I'm kinda against this idea since we already have the Temple and I think Libraries and Warlocks are useful enough.

Quoting time

Quote Originally Posted by Airandius View Post
    Once all spells are researched the library is abandoned and all warlocks go to their lair where they will remain for the rest of their lives (excluding the occasional battle). Quite a boring fate.
    Maybe you might consider training your Warlocks so they're not all Level 1 and don't end up dying XP

Let's give the library a little bit more use than it has now. So that the room and the warlocks are useful for the entire map.
    They kinda already are, being that they're capable of healing other units and have Meteor at a very early level. Plus

Watching warlocks sleep is boring anyway.
    Bile Demons are even more boring. Sitting there all fat and all. Things get interesting though when they occastionally or wake up to scratch themselves.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Demon Spawn

Oh I always train my units till level 10. I train them first because they can kill most things pretty fast with a barrage of spells. However the issue is that the library is abandoned after everything is researched. Which is quite silly.

Whether they generate mana, become happy, or don't achieve anything at all. I want those magic creatures reading books even after they've researched everything. :P Simply because they like reading and should be able to read books twice.

Gamer IDs

Perhaps, what about very very slow exp gain?

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    Sounds good for me.

In fact, it doesn't really have to be that very very slow. I think something like 1/4 - 1/3 of regular training time would be enough. Maybe there should be a level cap like DK2 training room, though, to prevent getting free level 10 warlocks. Then after reaching that level they'd just read with no gain at all.

The Awakening

Hmm would depend on how much. If it was enough so that the training of warlocks would be done primarily in the library instead of the training room. Then there could be a system for other creatures as well. Though I think it would be more convenient to keep it to just one room :P
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Gamer IDs

I just meant something tiny, say like you had one warlock in the library with others, and by the time they researched everything they were about level 2 - 3.

Just so when you are done with research your warlocks aren't still weak.

I mean, reading all those books you have to have gained some sort of experience.
    Last edited by kyle; February 3rd, 2011 at 21:58.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

I just meant something tiny, say like you had one warlock in the library with others, and by the time they researched everything they were about level 2 - 3.

Just so when you are done with research your warlocks aren't still weak.

I mean, reading all those books you have to have gained some sort of experience.
    Can they gain experiance after finishing research or is it just during?

I honestly don't mind the Library just sitting there. Sometimes I build a Graveyard and never use it cause I'm making Skeletons. What about the Training Room? The Training Room can only train creatures to Level 10, after that, it just sits there. What do we do with it then? Most creatures just kinda sleep afterwards. Kinda dull and boring don't you think?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!