Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutscenes

Default Cutscenes

If its to have them, it might be a nice idea to have both comic-strip styled cutscenes and cinematic cutscenes, the comic-strip cutscenes would of course have voice overs (as would the cinematic ones).

'Tis an awesome way to keep the players entertained.

It also allows concept artists to not feel redundant when things are set for the modelling and programming stage.

Also an excellent story-telling feature etc.

Hellhound

Default Re: Cutscenes

Quoted from my post in the Story thread, perhaps may be a good intro to WFTO. (With a few edits and tweaks here and there)

Story Idea

Throughout history, Keepers has fought brave and noble heroes, bent on destroying their Dungeon Hearts and exteriminating them off the planet. This war has been faring badly for the noble heroes, and one by one each realm fell to a Keeper, one way or another. Lords of the Land have been brutally slaughtered and tortured by these Keepers, thier kingdoms ravaged by the Underworld forces. Realms of happiness and prosperity now lie cloaked in saddness and destruction, the few suriviors clinging on the fragments of their souls.
    Alas, the Keepers themselves could not truely manifest onto the surface world, known as the Overworld. This place is where all the heroes come from, no matter if it is the magical forests of the faries and elves or the mountianous regions of the giants and dwarves, the forces of justice still managed to stake out a life here. It is rumored that one Keeper managed to reach the Overworld, but after the Keeper's final campaign, was never heard from again...

For the last few years, there has been a shaken form of peace...

Now, war appears on the horizon. News from an apprentice to the Mentor, the same one who helped the famous keeper during the three epic campaigns, spread that there is a way to get to the Overworld. This ''gateway'' lies on a far off land, one that has never been set foot on by any keeper.

Raids on surriving villagers lessen...
    Screams of agnony during the night have ceased...
    The forces of justice step out of their feeble houses, believing that evil have mysteriously vanished from the land...

In time... there shall be a reckoning...
    Alas, I do not think that the devs should be worrying about cutscenes at this point in development. Perhaps when the game is playable (like a working-campaign with little bugs and maybe a small skirmish mode), if they still wish to refine and polish WFTO, they can work on cutscenes then.
    Problem is, having little motivation and life's concerns make it hard to work on anything.

This isn't about the intro. This is about the cutscenes between the levels.

Also, there is no point in releasing the campaign and then releasing the cutscenes.

And this is just another concept of planning the game, as is everything else, there is no worry.
    Last edited by Madkill; December 26th, 2009 at 19:49.

I dont think we have the technology to do those.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    I dont think we have the technology to do those.
    If we can do a intro we can do a cutscene

I understand. Well, it depends how much time is needed for 1 100 second short video. If it's too time-consuming it would be better to have fewer videos I suppose.

Bluto is doing those, right? Damn, I hate to think that he has to do so much work alone.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Half the work that's done for the intro can be used for cutscenes. Things like the HD models, rigging etc can be re-used. Still it's a load of work and the actual game has the priority I suppose =)

I would imagine once the gameplay and the engine work corectly, then it would be the time to worry about cutscenes and story.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    Half the work that's done for the intro can be used for cutscenes. Things like the HD models, rigging etc can be re-used. Still it's a load of work and the actual game has the priority I suppose =)
    Good thing the guys working on the actual game isnt doing cutscenes a then , there is no reason for waiting for the engine and game to be ready.

"it might be a nice idea to have both comic-strip styled cutscenes and cinematic cutscenes"

Some voice-acting and detailed drawing doesn't require as much time depending on the artist and it gives the game a bit more originality in comparison with most games today, the cinematic/animated cutscenes could just be used as 'special' main-plot devices. Whereas the Comic-Strip Styled cutscenes may just be intervenes between levels. (Perhaps not every level)

Quality > Quantity.