Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Found a programmer!

Default Re: Found a programmer!

The problem is that EA doesn't have to answer, they've already got all the IP rights. At the moment we are too tiny for them to care about, "they will probably just stop after a while and give up" would be the thought for all projects like us. It is only when we have something and are giving it away that KK would start to appear on EA's radar. Then the pain starts...

A plan would be to keep sending Emails, letters, faxes, telegrams and smoke signals, etc, while working on it. If no reply appears and WftO is near completion then send them some kind of demo and something saying "Hello
    (Insert expansion of who we are and what we have created) we are very interested in getting this out, but wanted to know what EA's opinion is before we start putting links up.

Kindest regards
    Keeper Klan"

If they still don't reply, well... we'll have to use the all powerful omni-mind to come up with a plan. I don't think it would be a good idea to assume EA doesn't care about the IP and go a head with giving it away.

Another answer would be to create something that is like dungeon keeper but isn't. Kind of like Torchlight and Diablo.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

I'll tell you what my common sense tells me. When you make a fansite devoted to DK, its okay. When you draw an art piece and send it to your friends, it's okay. When you create and RPG game based on DK and play it with your friends, it's okay. Why making a game and playing it with friends is not okay? I guess same logic applies here. Otherwise, DOTA creators should be sued for making a game on WCIII engine. Or, Black Mesa modders should be sued by valve for remaking HL1 on Source engine. Or Fonline makers to be sued for making an MMORPG game based on Fallout 1-2 universe with using fallout engine. Or All those people to be sued for making mods/games on their favorite title. It would kill the gaming industry.

Unless you start making profits out of it with not paying dividends to the rights owners it is fine.

Maybe, EA is "special", I dunno. Maybe their contract is special. We have to know for sure, that is true, we have to get the official permission. But I am still quite assured that what we are doing is not wrong in any legal way.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Indeed, after all EA haven't discouraging people from modding Red Alert 3 and other C&C titles. I would just hope that so long as it is said somewhere that EA are the owners of DK, and there are no huge DK related releases it should be fine.
    Last edited by A New Room; February 18th, 2010 at 17:05.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"