Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Becoming of Nemesis (DK1)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: impboy44 Steam ID: impboy44

Default Becoming of Nemesis (DK1)

Behold my first big campaign which is a remake of all of Dungeon Keeper 1. There will be two versions: one with the base 20 levels and one with alternate paths. While the moderators review the upload I will post a temp link here.

Not everything is exact gameplay wise; but the level layout themselves are 1:1 with the originals in Dungeon Keeper 1.

I would provide screenshots, however for most people who played DK1 before; you probably know what they look like.

Download (Base 20 Version)
    Last edited by impboy4; August 10th, 2017 at 20:49.

Default Re: Becoming of Nemesis (DK1)

What a nice time I had for joining the forums ). The Kasabian Campaign is already keeping me busy, and now there's even a DK1 remake on top of the other user campaigns floating around here. I'll give it a deeper look once I've reached the point of frustration in the kasabian levels x]. I like the seemingly self-explanatory file strucure, thumbs up for that!

Can you or anyone make a let´s play of them?

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

For people like me, who don't have DKII in a default installation folder, the shortcuts do not work. Instead, I made an easy list of all the level file names that people can copy paste into a level select shortcut.

01. Eversmile
    02. Cosyton
    03. Waterdream Warm
    04. Flowerhat
    05. Lushmeadow-on-Down
    06. Snuggledell
    07. Wishvale
    08. Tickle
    09. Moonbrush Wood
    10. Nevergrim
    11. Hearth
    12. Elves' Dance
    13. Buffy Oak
    14. Sleepiburgh
    15. Woodly Rhyme
    16. Tulipscent
    17. Mirthshire
    18. Blaise End
    19. Mistle
    20. Skybird Trill
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Niiice work! I'll certainly give this a go once I get my DKII back up and running again.
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.

I've played a few of them (Eversmile, Snuggledell, Sleepiburgh, and technically an early Wishvale) and I can definitely say this is DK1, to a fault in fact. The big difference is that this is DK2, vanilla DK2 in fact, which is worse. Except that the levels were designed with DK1 stats and mechanics in mind, so shifting things to DK2 (even if some stats have been copied from DK1) makes it a bit weaker.

This is really the main criticism I have, and always had. Not much to be done with it, as it's criticism of the concept and direction itself, rather than anything regarding execution. I just flat out don't think trying to copy DK1 to DK2 or vice versa is really a good idea to begin with. Adapting the maps to suit DK2's design is a better direction in my opinion and it eliminates potential confusion with the kind of stats the game uses as well, as currently there's some weird mix of DK1 and DK2.

Although, if there is something within the execution to criticize, I will say that Traps and Doors seem ridiculously expensive. Most Doors cost the same as in DK2 except the Magic Door, which had its cost drop from 6000 to 3000. Then most Traps were untouched except for some random ones by random amounts. Gas Trap from 600 to 700, Boulder from 1500 to 2000, Lightning Trap from 3000 to 1000, and Fireburst from 6000 to 1500. Yet, the Gold from blocks went down from 3000 to 1024. Even if you lowered the costs down to 33% equally, they're still quite pricey compared to all other rooms for example.

Remember that in DK1, Gold is used for mana as well. This is why copying the values from DK1 flat out doesn't work, as Rooms were costed relatively low because Spells also, like basic making of the Imps, cost Gold. Yet in DK2, there is of course a mana resource, which is extremely different from the Gold resource as it is regenerative.

So, overall, what you see from this is what you get. DK1 maps pasted into DK2, some alterations like Gold and Room Cost to match that of DK1. Creatures seem to be the same as in DK2. There's some probable gold imbalance as traps / doors are overpriced and rooms are underpriced.

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I've played a few of them (Eversmile, Snuggledell, Sleepiburgh, and technically an early Wishvale) and I can definitely say this is DK1, to a fault in fact. The big difference is that this is DK2, vanilla DK2 in fact, which is worse. Except that the levels were designed with DK1 stats and mechanics in mind, so shifting things to DK2 (even if some stats have been copied from DK1) makes it a bit weaker.

This is really the main criticism I have, and always had. Not much to be done with it, as it's criticism of the concept and direction itself, rather than anything regarding execution. I just flat out don't think trying to copy DK1 to DK2 or vice versa is really a good idea to begin with. Adapting the maps to suit DK2's design is a better direction in my opinion and it eliminates potential confusion with the kind of stats the game uses as well, as currently there's some weird mix of DK1 and DK2.

Although, if there is something within the execution to criticize, I will say that Traps and Doors seem ridiculously expensive. Most Doors cost the same as in DK2 except the Magic Door, which had its cost drop from 6000 to 3000. Then most Traps were untouched except for some random ones by random amounts. Gas Trap from 600 to 700, Boulder from 1500 to 2000, Lightning Trap from 3000 to 1000, and Fireburst from 6000 to 1500. Yet, the Gold from blocks went down from 3000 to 1024. Even if you lowered the costs down to 33% equally, they're still quite pricey compared to all other rooms for example.

Remember that in DK1, Gold is used for mana as well. This is why copying the values from DK1 flat out doesn't work, as Rooms were costed relatively low because Spells also, like basic making of the Imps, cost Gold. Yet in DK2, there is of course a mana resource, which is extremely different from the Gold resource as it is regenerative.

So, overall, what you see from this is what you get. DK1 maps pasted into DK2, some alterations like Gold and Room Cost to match that of DK1. Creatures seem to be the same as in DK2. There's some probable gold imbalance as traps / doors are overpriced and rooms are underpriced.
    Meh, there's always nitpicking. I'm sorry that this campaign gave you a weirdly bad taste in your mouth. I just wanted to see how DK1 would have been like in DK2's world.

Quote Originally Posted by impboy4 View Post
    Meh, there's always nitpicking. I'm sorry that this campaign gave you a weirdly bad taste in your mouth. I just wanted to see how DK1 would have been like in DK2's world.
    It's important to be critical of smaller details as that's how you refine your abilities past the fundamentals, but this isn't even that.

Traps / Doors have effectively tripled in price due to Gold adjustments. Traps already struggled before in vanilla DK2, so this makes them quite unplayable.

Maps and stats were made under certain rulesets, so if the ruleset changes, then maps and stats need to be reviewed. KeeperFX is naturally closer to DK1 than DK2 and even then there are issues with maps breaking due to alterations in rulesets. DK2 is a lot easier to abuse, especially in single player, so it's difficult to run into something unbeatable. However, that doesn't mean the levels are well done either.

Neither of these two points can be brushed aside as merely 'nitpicking'. They're both pretty major.

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Well, that gives the player a choice whether to save gold for training/payday or spam traps/doors. I know they are pricey but you have to take it with a grain of salt and not worry; as long as the level itself can still be beatable without using them.

Is there another remake from 20. Skybird Trill ?

In this version my computer crashes after about 20 seconds.