Thread: DK2 Creature 1v1 match ups

Default DK2 Creature 1v1 match ups

I'm not sure what possessed me to do this but I ran 1v1 fights for each Evil creature against all creatures and recorded the results. All creatures were Lvl1. In case anyone else is interested, here they are

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dk2 creatures.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	2309

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: DK2 Creature 1v1 match ups

The Goblin placed higher than I thought he would.

I think Warlock and Dark Elf would place higher in non 1v1 situations. The benefit of those ranged spells comes from terrain, where melee units can end up bunching up, ranged units can still attack no problem. That and barricades.

Mistress and Vampire would probably vary a lot based on the level, stunning and freezing enemies. Drain also gets a free hit in.

Doesn't Rogue kill everything if Lv8?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    The Goblin placed higher than I thought he would.

I think Warlock and Dark Elf would place higher in non 1v1 situations. The benefit of those ranged spells comes from terrain, where melee units can end up bunching up, ranged units can still attack no problem. That and barricades.

Mistress and Vampire would probably vary a lot based on the level, stunning and freezing enemies. Drain also gets a free hit in.

Doesn't Rogue kill everything if Lv8?
    I was surprised by the Goblin as well, and the Skeleton. Not quite as useless at Lvl1 as I felt they were.

I'll do a quick ranged test, Warlock and Dark Elf against Warlock, Dark Elf, Wizard and Elven Archer. My money is on the Warlock.

Agreed, especially the Mistress with Lightning knock down and compartively high DPS I think it would make a big difference. I recently played a map that focused heavily on Vampires and my impression of them afterwards was that they were a bit lacking in damage output until about Lvl8

I haven't tested any other levels, mainly because of how much of a ball ache the editor makes it. With 31 enemies, north and south need testing, that's 124 creatures on the map for each test. Unless you know of a more efficient way of increasing the level? Can I make the Good Player use an increase level special?

Well these results are somewhat surprising.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranged.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	2310

As far as I know, North / South does not effect spell damage. Only melee. However, it does effect Warlocks healing themselves, because they'll try to face north to do so. So the Warlock being on the north, facing south, is actually a disadvantage.
    As of note, and this is technically a personal theory, the north / south bug probably does not exist on its own, but is a result of another bug. The bug is that creatures and objects have some rotation data set to north, and it never updates. This effects many things, but the most significant is that there seems to be some sort of intended backstab mechanic. This mechanic refers to this rotation data, and so creatures from the south do more damage, but it only effects melee damage. This is also why Warlocks and anyone casting a self-cast spell will face north, and notably when creatures chase other creatures, whenever they pause they'll face north.
    This is still just a theory, though. It's a more recent observation so I don't think a whole lot of people know about it.

Elven Archers have the highest DPS. Wizards, Dark Elves, and Warlocks have a 5 second cooldown on their spells and deal 300 damage each, so it's 60 DPS. Elven Archer has an attack speed of 2.16 and 225 damage so it's 103 DPS.
    Wizards have more HP than any of them, 1500 vs 1000.
    Dark Elves have initiative over Warlocks in that they fire sooner, otherwise they're not doing much.

Actually wait, was this at Lv1? If it was I'm not sure how the Dark Elves lost so much then, unless, did one of their projectiles miss? It's a lot faster so it can miss.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Actually wait, was this at Lv1? If it was I'm not sure how the Dark Elves lost so much then, unless, did one of their projectiles miss? It's a lot faster so it can miss.
    It was Lvl1 yeah.

I had a look at the fights on 25% speed and yes when the EA loses these fights it always has at least 1 miss. I say miss, the projectile gets about 60% of the way to the target and then disappears. This may be a placement issue but if I give them more than 1 tile to stand on then we might get other unintended consequences. I also tried making them Act as dropped, but EAs rise faster than the other ranged units so they get an extra hit in and always win.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodsda View Post
    I had a look at the fights on 25% speed and yes when the EA loses these fights it always has at least 1 miss. I say miss, the projectile gets about 60% of the way to the target and then disappears. This may be a placement issue but if I give them more than 1 tile to stand on then we might get other unintended consequences. I also tried making them Act as dropped, but EAs rise faster than the other ranged units so they get an extra hit in and always win.
    Elven Archers or Dark Elves? I do not like the abbreviation of Elven Archers.

but yes this is likely a placement issue.

Tesonu is napping!