Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dropping Creatures

Default Dropping Creatures

Dungeon Keeper II was stupid with dropping creatures where they would fall on the floor.

Make it more like Dungeon Keeper I, with the exception of docile creatures would look around first whereas most would just go straight into whatever they're being dropped into.

No idea if this has been brought up before but this is just my 34 cents.

somewhere fun (i tell a lie it's actually quite boring, oh I wish I lived in liechstenstein)

Default Re: Dropping Creatures

yeah I didn't like that it made bile demons useless in combat and was annoying. Also it was kind of silly not very dark.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Also considering they start falling like they will land on their feet, and suddenly fall back... kinda weird...

Computers will drop creatures all of a sudden, and with the stun it made it really bad...

: Back in the days of DK1, doing my job was much more difficult. If I'm caught, they'll be on my tail like ulgy on a giant. In DK2, they're all on the ground. Not only can I escape easily but I can cut a few too!
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; January 11th, 2010 at 01:35.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

I think we can all agree that dropping creatures should just be done like DK1.

The Awakening

Hellhound

Maybe a combanation of the two might work, the creatures would fall on their feet, spend no more than a second to regain footing (lost balance, etc), and then be ready to carry out orders.

As creatures are dropped more often, they tend to recover faster, as they get used to the dropping.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

I think initially we will try DK1 style, and then tweak it if needed to sort out balance.

I suspect the reason why there is a stun time on creatures in dk2 was due to unlimited slots for picking up creatures, but was limited to 8 in dk1.

I thought it was made like that in DK2 to try and stop dirty blitz tactics.

Example: A keeper could drop a dozen mistresses have them attack within a second then pick them up again.

In Dk2 this meant that dropping a mistress on the front line in the hope she will instantly 1 shot a couple of creatures would no longer be valid as she would most likely take a great deal of damage or be killed before she gets up. Instead the keeper must wait a little while for the stronger units to come into play. etc...

Having them stunned means the keeper has to plan out where to drop specific creatures. Which also allows for tactics such as being able to plan out when "reinforcements" will arrive etc...

Since three of you struggle to read-

"Make it more like Dungeon Keeper I, with the exception of docile creatures would look around first whereas most would just go straight into whatever they're being dropped into."

Not all will look around to suddenly see where they are, the Intelligent creatures like Warlocks, Dragons and Mistresses won't, but bile demons, trolls and orcs would. But only for a very very short duration.

Thats a good attempt to try and balance the dropping feature however..

The list of creatures that are not stunned needs defining better. Powerful creatures should be stunned reguardless of intelligence. The list might start to look something like this...

Not stunned:
    Fly
    Spider
    Troll
    Goblin
    Ghost
    Skeleton
    Dragonspawn
    Beetle

That's predictable and boring, you want the dexterous and intelligent creatures to not be affected by it but this can only be done once there is a list of creatures with set balanced stats.

The examples were just for reference so people had a vague idea of what I meant.