Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Menu after patched with GIM 1.05

Default Black Menu after patched with GIM 1.05

Hello, I have a blck main menù just after I start the game.
    I've installed DK2 from GOG (1.7), applied GIM 1.05 as readme said and started DKII.exe as admin, I got this error. There is a way to fix it?
    I read that is related to HW acceleration, but even if I disable from graphic option it will be always set!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: impboy44 Steam ID: impboy44

Default Re: Black Menu after patched with GIM 1.05

It depends on your graphics card, some work, some don't. Also, yes it is frustrating to turn off HW Acceleration every time you start DKII with the GiM patch; 1.51 was one of those patches that forces HW on the user regardless if they want it enabled or not.

I'm certainly no DK2 expert, but couldn't you set/disable HW acceleration directly through the registry?

As Impboy has said, HW accel is a problem with GIM. It seems to be activated by default in the .exe file, it simply overwrites the registry entries. I had the same problem. The only solution for me was to disable hardware acceleration in windows (I have windows 7). This is only easy with certain graphics cards, because some lock the option for windows. What I had to do was download the DirectX developer toolkit and use it to globally disable hardware accel for my computer. Now it works like a charm.

Here are the corresponding topics for win7, 8 and 10:

Turn of hardware accel the easy way (if possible): http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardwa...tion-windows-7 (the solution "if button greyed out" here didn't work for me)

What I had to do:
    1.) Download the direct X SDK from microsoft, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=6812
    2.) run %programfiles%\microsoft directx sdk\utilities\bin\x86\dxcpl.exe
    3.) go to "Direct Draw", there I could disable Hardware Acceleration (or direct draw acceleration, I don't quite remember)

Note that you will obviously have to enable it in the same way if you want to run some programs that need HW acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by impboy4 View Post
    It depends on your graphics card, some work, some don't. Also, yes it is frustrating to turn off HW Acceleration every time you start DKII with the GiM patch; 1.51 was one of those patches that forces HW on the user regardless if they want it enabled or not.
    I'm actualy using an old HD8490

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I'm certainly no DK2 expert, but couldn't you set/disable HW acceleration directly through the registry?
    Uhm, I tried something I read on the net, but I see that the reg changes values each time I start DKII.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Narachi View Post
    As Impboy has said, HW accel is a problem with GIM. It seems to be activated by default in the .exe file, it simply overwrites the registry entries. I had the same problem. The only solution for me was to disable hardware acceleration in windows (I have windows 7). This is only easy with certain graphics cards, because some lock the option for windows. What I had to do was download the DirectX developer toolkit and use it to globally disable hardware accel for my computer. Now it works like a charm.

Here are the corresponding topics for win7, 8 and 10:

Turn of hardware accel the easy way (if possible): http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardwa...tion-windows-7 (the solution "if button greyed out" here didn't work for me)

What I had to do:
    1.) Download the direct X SDK from microsoft, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=6812
    2.) run %programfiles%\microsoft directx sdk\utilities\bin\x86\dxcpl.exe
    3.) go to "Direct Draw", there I could disable Hardware Acceleration (or direct draw acceleration, I don't quite remember)

Note that you will obviously have to enable it in the same way if you want to run some programs that need HW acceleration.
    It works!! Thx, now I get only a little problem, a big black rectangle in bottom right of the screen that appear and disappear really fast, its annoying!
    And I can't use an Italian translator program to translate my game
    I'm thinking to give up with GIM and stay with GOG 1.7 patch untill OpenKeeper will be released

Gamer IDs

If you remain with the GOG 1.7 version you will have no fun battling enemy keepers at all (1.6-onwards introduced a bug where the ai keeper can't drop creatures at threats anymore which makes battling them way one-sided in your favor)

If you remain with the GOG 1.7 version you will have no fun battling enemy keepers at all (1.6-onwards introduced a bug where the ai keeper can't drop creatures at threats anymore which makes battling them way one-sided in your favor)
    Oh I see... If only I can take down that black rectangle issue! And a way to translate as well the game...

Gamer IDs

If you want to translate the game you have to own a physical CD version of the game and then get the 1.7 Italian patch here. Ask Narachi about the black triangle issue.

If you want to translate the game you have to own a physical CD version of the game and then get the 1.7 Italian patch here. Ask Narachi about the black triangle issue.
    I've a site where allow to translate GOG 1.7 100% (text and speech) but when I apply GIM i get text symbols error!