Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of Nether Development Progress

Default Re: Lords of Nether Development Progress

Is this what I think it is? A DK like game?

Non humanoid characters plz!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

New Lords of Nether screenshot

Spoiler

Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by damedog View Post
    Is this what I think it is? A DK like game?

Non humanoid characters plz!
    Don't worry, I already told them if over 40% of evil units turn out to be humanoid characters like werewolves and grindylows there will be blood in the street. And MGR is right, we might be able to tolerate a unit like a goblin, but if there's even a single character like the rogue we will complain like there's no tomorrow. They are still playing hard to get, but I'm sure they are scrambling to design more beasts and other horrors.

The horned reaper himself is humanoid, so is the avatar, how can you all be so prejudiced!?

All heroes are humanoid, those are fine. And to be fair, I don't mind a healthy number of 'not-remotely-human-humanoids' either, like the horned reaper, the DK1 Mistress, or that Grindylow design that has been shared a while back. What we hate hate is something like DK2 where your units are a 'human in a robe', a 'human with fangs', a 'human knight which painted his armour black' a 'human thief that did not wash his clothes for a while', a 'human female dressed in leather', a 'small green human' and a 'not so small green human' so that the most imaginative unit you have is a salamander that looks like a salamander just a bit bigger.

Plus, what we do like is to be amazed by what kind of creature you manage to attract. The first play through 20 years ago each time you got a whole new unit it was a thrill and now we want to be amazed some more. And non-humanoid designs offer so much more possibilities for creativity.

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

I'm going to make this absolutely clear. The creature roster is final. There are no clearly human units like the rogue, which was boring and ridiculous, same as the dark elf, clearly human mistress etc yet there is only one real beast in the original roster. We are not going the clearly human route, like DK 2, but all 15 other creatures -are- humanoid. Just not human.

To make a couple of examples - We also have Black Knights. Our Black Knights are not just men with armor painted black, they are warped and twisted soulless abominations who move like death-bent automatons with limited, constrained but powerful motions and have skewed and unrealistic proportions that make them look more like walking towers of armor. You would be remiss if you saw one and didnt think it was more of a suit of possessed armor.

Our vampires are far from human, i think just a bit further than DK1's vampires were, and while yes, we have warlocks who are sort of just "men in robes", they've lost their humanity ages ago when dabbling in forbidden arts, their bodies now more of a slowly twisting vessel for the terrible arcane power contained within. Their eyes glow, their skin has turned a greenish yellow, they walk with a hunched gait, have lesions and such. But -no- there is NO character that will be just outright human, not even the gorgon who outwardly probably looks the most human, yet her body is covered in scales and her face has taken on serpentine features.

This all is -final- untill expansions allow more room for other things. The creatures and characters tied to them have stories in the campaign, they have reasons to be as they are. Also you do not play as some anomalous evil entity that has control over beasts, like a Keeper, you play as a Dark Lord, a General that needs an army, not just a petting zoo.

There will be plenty of animalistic creatures in the world, both above and bellow ground if all goes well, and maaaaybe we may make it possible to tame some of them for the duration of the mission, but they will function slightly differently to creatures if we do so, but nothing of this bit is final.
    Last edited by DBlac; November 10th, 2017 at 16:06.

Just to be clear: That was already understood from the posts you made before. The last sentence on post #83 was a joke.

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

Aight cool I'm just trying to mitigate any potential misinformation, i dont want a Molyneux/Murray effect :P

Btw a kindof vague example of the style of movement of the Black Knight is the big guy later on in this video

Think this (not quite this sort of appearance and not a sword) but probably even less animate, more constricted and soulless.

https://youtu.be/h0C5uhumvb4

(talking about the Chaos Knight that the guy spawns in after killing the first lil fucker)

Oh btw MGR, quality shitpost right there *thumbsup*

And to me Salamanders always looked like sortof adorable minature orange T-Rexes... i wasnt a huge fan of the DK2 roster in general mind you, they were all rather boring and samey, due to the tech limitations.
    Last edited by DBlac; November 10th, 2017 at 16:25.

I dont understand where the hate for "humanoid" is coming from. Humanoid != human. You can have all kinds of nasty evil biped. creatures that are humanoid, but are clearly twisted, malicious and fitting the "evil" play.

I for example, am not 100% for a dungeon full of bugs, dragons and elementals. What is it, a fucking zoo? Gimme some goblins
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

A man after my own heart