Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Lords of Nether Development Progress

Default Re: Lords of Nether Development Progress

Nah,... you're reading too much into it. I'm not biased because of DK2, I like to see unique and imaginative creatures. Not sticking to just bipeds will allow for more diversity, more unique designs. If they stick to just humanoids and still design the units well, I won't hate the game for it. I haven't seen the final result, but chances are I would still prefer more non-humanoids. However, I realize I haven't commissioned this game and they aren't making it just to perfectly match my preferences.

And I personally also hate that counterpart business, I don't want to see evil versions of the invading heroes. I can relate perfectly well with my creatures if the good are equated to boring, by the rules, cutesy and wholesome, and the evil creatures are juxtapositioned to be imaginative, spectacular, radical, characterful and expressive.

And yes, perhaps 95% of games have bald space marines, but I think most games where collecting a big menagerie of creatures is a central theme there's a large percentage of non-humanoid creatures. There aren't that many games like DK out there, but I do feel DK sorta resembles being a zoo-keeper for underground abominations.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Nah,... you're reading too much into it. I'm not biased because of DK2, I like to see unique and imaginative creatures. Not sticking to just bipeds will allow for more diversity, more unique designs. If they stick to just humanoids and still design the units well, I won't hate the game for it. I haven't seen the final result, but chances are I would still prefer more non-humanoids. However, I realize I haven't commissioned this game and they aren't making it just to perfectly match my preferences.

And I personally also hate that counterpart business, I don't want to see evil versions of the invading heroes. I can relate perfectly well with my creatures if the good are equated to boring, by the rules, cutesy and wholesome, and the evil creatures are juxtapositioned to be imaginative, spectacular, radical, characterful and expressive.

And yes, perhaps 95% of games have bald space marines, but I think most games where collecting a big menagerie of creatures is a central theme there's a large percentage of non-humanoid creatures. There aren't that many games like DK out there, but I do feel DK sorta resembles being a zoo-keeper for underground abominations.
    This boils down to just your personal preference. You hate the counterpart, I believe it is an essential part of the series. You believe that moving away from biped humanoids will make the game more unique, I believe that this is a minor factor of what makes the game unique. We agree to disagree.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

Hooo boy, conflict of personal tastes going on here, lots to reply to. First of all though, you guys can just call me David

Ok so MGR, i completely agree there, those are good solutions and we have similar ideas in the works, so we will see how it goes. In addition though, we have Champions, akin to elites from DK2 but.. well better because lets face it better isn't hard hah. There essentially unique characters that you can summon only one of (that is to say there is only one champion goblin etc) and they each have their own unique specializations. Gnash, the Goblin Warlord is essentially their commander and chief, unlike the others he has a nearly full suit of scavenged and cobbled together armor and is capable of significantly boosting the performance of goblins around him. Of course most other Champions have less of a general type role and their own unique advantages, but its another thing to consider when thinking about how different units could remain useful.

Hapuga, i do agree with you and i -also- see YM's point, and i dont think either of you need to worry given the plans we have laid out. There should be enough for both of you to be happy with, especially -after- the expansions if all comes to pass as i hope.

YM, just a small note here, our heroes are hmm... less so boring and certainly not cutesy at all. Mind you a few are boring, like the base units but more powerful heroes become more heroic and badass to the point where when you see a knight you will certainly know that fucker can mess you up -very- good and look like a badass doing it, even before he starts cleaving creatures with his longsword.

All in all everyone has different preferences, im not saying everyone will be 100% satisfied with everything i guess, but there should be enough to keep most people happy i imagine. I mean, we still have a ton of work so we have to see how it turns out, but im confident it will all be good in the end. If the current way things are going is anything to go by, it will just take time but it will end up even surpassing our own expectations and imagination. I cant tell you how many times we've managed to do things we never even imagined so far, so lets hope it keeps up :P

This is one instance where I 100% am on YourMaster's side... I love super creative creatures and crazy stuff... having many "creatures" look like humans is not something I'd want personally.

The more demonic and diverse your minions, the better!

Now - Having said that, I can honestly say that you have nothing to worry about. The creature designs are good. Like, extremely good. The stuff you've seen is just the basic starter creatures/heroes.
    While many minions might have two arms and two legs, the designs are always creative and very unique, yet fit together well in the Netherverse.

As I've said before... if only you guys were allowed to see all the concepts like I have, for what's going to be in the full game. *cries*
    For now, I would just say, don't worry - Creature Design is what sucked me into DK1 and is something I am very passionate about. Trust me when I say David has us covered.

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

All in all, all I care is if the game is awesome or not. And I know you guys will do your absolute best. Cheers.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

Cheers mate, that means a lot, thanks!

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

My my, it looks like the Servants have been hard at work! Such riches, such riches!

In addition, units are creeping their way into the game, but not just yet in a state we would like to show. Patience, Lords, patience. I know, it is a virtue, but i suppose we all have to suffer now and again.

Looks way too good to be honest. A treasury of those would surely cause framedrops.

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

You'd be surprised. It's done in a very specific way that makes it much lighter than youd imagine. It was being developed on a rinkey-dink PC that can barely run anything, and yet this had absolutely no effect on the framerate. However -if- such an issue pops up, its very easy to have an option in the graphics menu that simply turns these off.