Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Revenge of the Lord - a good campaign v0.99

Default Re: Revenge of the Lord - a good campaign v0.99

Quote Originally Posted by alexsa2015sa View Post
    Um. I simply dug the entrance to my dungeon in such a way that the monsters kept walking across half the map and running into Blue?.

I've always dug for eastern part of the dungeon by lava bridge. At level 5 fairies get heal, and can take Demonspawns at lair there. With Rebound at lv 7 they take them out easily, but I've normally attacked sooner to stop them from spawing.

The lv10 orc party wasn't much of a problem to me; they are tough, but not so much that 1-2 Monks+10 Fairies at level 7-8 can't kill them by luring them to more open space. Barbarians and Dwarves all went straight back into the portal since they're worse units overall. Monks only needed to survive something like ten seconds before pack of high-damage Fairies destroy attackers.
    Ok, Next time I'll try a more fairy-heavy composition. Last two times I kept their numbers low because they get run down by Orcs and Trolls with speed quite heavily. If they outnumber the melee fighters a few of them will break off to specifically target the fairies. And Warlocks also do quite well against fairies because of the meteor spell. But indeed they do heavy damage so perhaps in high enough numbers I can take them out.

I'll also stop opening up the east part of the map all together. The level 10 demon spawn are already guarding that lair before the level starts though, so I can't go too quickly, army needs to be trained up to do so.

EDIT:

I finished the map. This time I ONLY opened up the right side of the map, and it played out completely different. Now I had time to train up - which also made fairies an option - and that training gave me enough strength to take out the east, and most of the rooms you needed to take over were there. My army was now also strong enough to take down the lvl7 party near the end without losses and I had enough traps to basically kill anything.
    I accidentally won though, in a way that was not suppose to happen. At some point I think some white imps spawned, but I had walled of my dungeon. Because I was not yet near those imps to kill them, they tunneled into the white heart room from the east instead. I possessed an imp, quickly claimed to dirt past the guard post with the reaper on it and could kill the heart without fighting any enemies. I think I would otherwise have won easily as well, because my thieves where about to turn into knights and my fairies had rebound and that is a killer-combo.

My advice on this map is to reveal the lair, library, barracks, training and workshop rooms on the map with a 'reveal_map_location' command, either from the start or the first time a party spawns because you did not claim those rooms yet. This doesn't take any IF-commands, and it guides the player quite a bit in what to go for. In return, you could remove the red imp from the blue dungeon so that you can't mine gold without digging out.
    The map is really difficult now if you go south or west first, and I don't know how the player is supposed to know to go east otherwise unless he does lots of sight-spells.
    And look for a way to stop the imps from mining into the hearth room of course.

This time I enjoyed the map, and just before I won I found the secret-level special.

EDIT2:

Quote Originally Posted by alexsa2015sa View Post
    And I still can't update the file here on forum, because it keeps throwing error 413 "request entity is too large". What I'm doing wrong?
    I see you've managed to upload another file just fine. I got the same error message as you when I uploaded this file, so it must be something specific to this file. You could try updating it by replacing it with a .rar or .7zip file instead of a .zip. Or remove the BMP files from the archive to reduce the size in half. I opened map01242.bmp by the way, and noticed this screenshot was made when the map was corrupt. If you haven't used the 'fix map' feature on adikted on this map since then you really should because this map is much more likely to crash now.
    Last edited by YourMaster; November 30th, 2017 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    EDIT2:

I see you've managed to upload another file just fine. I got the same error message as you when I uploaded this file, so it must be something specific to this file. You could try updating it by replacing it with a .rar or .7zip file instead of a .zip. Or remove the BMP files from the archive to reduce the size in half. I opened map01242.bmp by the way, and noticed this screenshot was made when the map was corrupt. If you haven't used the 'fix map' feature on adikted on this map since then you really should because this map is much more likely to crash now.
    The 01242 bmp is outdated (I literally can't run such broken maps, due to severe lag and one instance of instacrashing; I regenerated it at once after taking the screen). As for file, I'll probably reupload it here once I'm certain there's nothing too drastic to improve upon (like your Reveal Region suggestion, or the eye which is consistently wrong, which are kind of a big deal) to avoid all trouble if the new upload retains the erratic behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I accidentally won though, in a way that was not suppose to happen. At some point I think some white imps spawned, but I had walled of my dungeon. Because I was not yet near those imps to kill them, they tunneled into the white heart room from the east instead. I possessed an imp, quickly claimed to dirt past the guard post with the reaper on it and could kill the heart without fighting any enemies. I think I would otherwise have won easily as well, because my thieves where about to turn into knights and my fairies had rebound and that is a killer-combo.
    Well... Of course I fixed this now. I think, if you've stepped one step into the library before actually attacking the heart, you'd be surprised how nasty those Reapers can be against Fairies. Nothing impossible, and I've put a fairly obvious warning about this ambush, (don't remember if it was there in first version), but I lost some of lv 7-9 knights to them - that party is stronger than the one final level has (not the level 7, though, and that one still probably could benefit from having more Reapers to kill).

Also, concerning the first secret level: is it any fun? It may sometimes spawn the boulder-tripping Bug incorrectly so you're locked out from the southern maze in green, and I've no clue how to fix it beyond adding more bugs. The last part might also require some tweaking as it has a potential deathtrap if you don't anticipate the first orc staring right at your face, and killing him manually sn't supposed to happen.

I just played the secret level, and yes, it's fun. I liked it because it seemed totally impossible, but I managed to complete it after all. It took me quite long to realize I had the heal spell though. In fact, I had already completed the level without it before I remembered I had it and I replayed it because even though I managed to kill the wizard I lost my thief and could not kill the heart so my reward was a lvl7 monk or witch instead of a lvl5 knight. So I played it again and healed up before clearing out the final room.
    First I ran my thief east, managed to avoid boulders and somehow gotten all enemies killed with the boulder and taking out the western heart. The eastern part was easier, I again used my thief to run past the boulders and enemies because I would not want to use a slow monk to do so. Killing the eastern heart got me the witch, and I tried using that to go north but did not find any way to do so. Again I settled on my the low level warlocks and running, dying on the gas traps. It dawned on me that a lvl10 thief might make it, and he did. Healed up and took out the final room for victory. Clever map.

What happens with the bugs, where do they spawn and does that mean the boulders aren't triggered? Have you tried spawning the beetles right on top of the boulders instead?

As for the corrupt map - usually it doesn't run for me at all either. But sometimes it does and crashes much later, perhaps depending on the corruption somehow. And I guess you're trying to find out how many versions you can fit between 0.99 and 1?

Well, I attempted the fourth level and lost, despite loading my saved game a few times.
    The first time I died it was when Green attacked me quite soon, when most of my creatures were still at lvl3 or lower. He easily crushed me so I loaded my save to wall in fast. But as I had not yet completed research of the workshop and had access to just the gold right at my starting location I had to dug out a bit to the small pockets of gold east. Green kept breaching me there, so I had to reload a few times. One time green breached me right before he was defeated by white I guess, so then I had a huge hero invasion I had no chance of stopping. Finally I settled with three small pockets of gold to the east, and green completely dug up against my walls so I could not claim any more gold east. Somehow green did not die from white anymore. I decided to dig east to the larger pocket of gold and was quickly invaded by white and many tentacles. I managed to defeat the initial waves and dig the patch of gold east, and use an invisible imp to claim the central temple to stop the tentacle parties.
    I noticed that green was attacked, but managed to barely survive before white decided to fully focus on me, and I was quickly and hopelessly overwhelmed. I managed to train my knight up to lvl 8 and had 8 giants of various levels but my other creatures were hardly trained because I did not have the gold for it. Several parties with the lvl10 giant and mistress came at the same time, with more to follow and I had nothing to stop it. I guess next time I have to start by walling off large parts of the map so that I have some gold to mine and time to train.

EDIT: I tried this level again today and decided to give up and skip it. This time I walled in, I just managed this before green tried to kill me and in the process kill himself. This meant the entire north was overrun by heroes, to the east there's the hero fortress I have access to, and in the center there are Tentacles. I think there's something wrong with the tentacles, because they haven't been attacked but keep spawning indefinitely. This caused the level to hit the creature limit. This is also the reason why I said 'fuck *t', since I wanted to create an army of knights but the thieves refused to promote due to the creature limit. With just the handful of units available to me, I see no way to take either the east or the north.
    Also, the bridge can't be build once you sell it. Looking in the script, you only make the bridge available again if it is available, which doesn't work of course. I also noticed there part of the script depends on if horny is alive, but you've also hidden a horny on the map that will confuse the script. (and throw out lots of heroes).

EDIT2: I played quite a bit from lvl 5 - the water level - but it quickly became unplayable for me due to the pathfinding bug. On my side my imps refused to mine any gold, and not sure but I think something was wrong on the enemy side as well because my thieves were already trained to lvl10 and I still only fought some lvl4 skeletons and ghosts, besides the parties stuck on the guard posts of course.
    I also noticed you can't build a guard-post on this level, my guess is that you don't want me walling off, but you can use the temple instead.
    Eventually my game froze. On to the next map I suppose, too bad.
    Last edited by YourMaster; December 31st, 2017 at 00:47.

this is exact copy of message i wrote to YourMaster, and He encouraged me to post this in the thread:

"here's what happened to me when i destroyed nearly whole north part of the map (2 "lieutenants": mistresses + vampires)
    https://ibb.co/c2VZ46

guess there is some script error... i lost like 5 hours of playin

infinite waves of hell hounds + game slow down becacuse of amassed objects, im shocked that it didnt crash, i tried to defend myself for quite a while with my 9x fairies + 10 knights + 11 dwarves, all lvl 10 or sumthin close to 10), then i tried to attack the 3rd lieteunant's dungeon, but it was impossible - there were about 3 hell hounds lvl 6-10 + horde of 1lvls + 4lvl horny and horde of 1lvls still attacckin my dungeon (but also they were scripted to attack gem tile in the north, which i recovered few whiles sooner"

As an intermezzo I played Enchantree, again a good map but after a few defeats I have given up.

After that I continued with the 6th level of this campaign, where I had to get 5 knights. I liked the map, even though I hardly noticed anything about the knights. When I killed the second keeper it said 'good enough'. It's again a difficult map, and I think I had to reload a saved game about 10 times, but I think this one is a bit easier than some of the others in the campaign, especially at the end.
    This map thought me that Samurai aren't as powerful as I thought they were, and that Warlocks are quite a bit more dangerous than I though. I played with a new version of Unofficial where meteors explode, and that helps the mistresses get quite a few additional shots off. I managed to transfer a lvl10 knight to the next level,....

I decided to give the campaign a shot since it was included in the new 0.4.8 which I installed. It's been more than two years but perhaps the creator will read this feedback.

Dwarfton
    Makes a very good first impression of the campaign. Very creative level design, good story, properly written objectives etc. Even the scripts are properly commented - a thing I dont do. I did the mistake of choosing the tactic to push as soon and as fast as possible because I expected it to go easier if I claim some of their rooms early. Right on the start I tunneled into a few mid level trolls but I managed to survive. Then the pushing was straightforward, however my main attackers - fairies started to die one by one slowly to the point I had to rely on boulders. I built rooms in blind tunnels to lure the orcs and trolls to destroy it and placed boulders nearby. The only unit capable of fighting was high level knight. I admit I loaded a few times because he got killed by boulders and had no more ressurects left. The map got repetive after first hour and dragged on for way too long with nothing new happening. The map is really well made - I love digging and finding secrets. It lacks decoration items but I believe you removed them because of thing limit.
    Overall very good map with right difficulty. Maybe too difficult for first level but still fine. I also liked the idea of playing as a good keeper - like a Good campaign but actually good.

Sparkleforest
    Contrary to what YourMaster said, to me this level played like the first one. Except I chose a different tactic - to turtle, train and frameskip until I have decent army. Then go on and start claiming the rooms. Also dragged on for way too long. Still decent map.

Abbeystone
    I really liked this level. Played it for almost two hours before the waves became unbearable and I lost and had to restart. Not sure whether you intended I play it this way, but I came from west, this time did NOT open my dungeon to water, so the blue keeper was handling the waves. I used the one slab of bridge to claim some parts of the dungeon and built guard posts so I do not expose myself to heroes - the locked doors kept them from me. Mined the gold from everywhere I could and hand placed it into treasure room. Soon the blue keeper was defeated which resulted in level lose but I loaded the game helped him out - my army was now much stronger than his. For that reason I opened and cleared the rest of dunegon, found locate hidden world special and won.

EDIT:
    I've played a few more levels and decided to stop testing it because I didnt enjoy it anymore. The beginning was very promising but the levels feel very similar and are not going anywhere. I felt like I was doing the same thing every level, even fought the same parties, using the same tactics and at the end I got something new like new creature or prison but that was after 5 or 6 hours of gameplay. Not a very enjoyable gameplay either: going room by room, clearing guards, waiting to destroy magic doors, clear those 150 traps on the map. You want to posses a samurai and run through a hall of boulders so you don't have to frameskip until the boulder collapses? Fuck you, here is a WoP trap after every boulder so it pushes you back to boulder - just do it 1 by 1 for additional 20 minutes! Each level! Yeah no thanks. It's a well made campaign and lots of effort went into this but I hate doing the same things over and over.
    Last edited by kix; August 23rd, 2020 at 21:02.