Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Creature editor?

Troll

Default Re: Creature editor?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13s...xoF91gT9Fciz5z

Here is the link to (at least the first released version of) my editor. If I or someone else finds bugs, I'll see what I can do to fix them and post a new version. Same goes if I think of new features .

Looks to be convenient when you want to modify units.

I would lose the sound effect though on opening the unit-dropdown. And possibly add buttons to the dropdown that allow you to go to the next/previous unit.
    It could use some of the information from the imp.cfg as mouse-over effects to explain some of the values.

Most importantly though is the saving functionality, it's not clear at all how that works. Does it auto-save all the changes you make? And when you use 'save as' from the menu it still isn't clear if what you're saving because you don't start in the correct folder or are you given a suggested file-name? Do you need to save all files separately or does it save everything at once.
    I found the 'save' button at the bottom, what would already help a lot is if that save gets a mouse over that tells you if you are saving just this single unit or to all units.
    Even better would be to remove the current button and add two separate buttons, one that says 'save changes to current unit' and another that says 'save changes to all units'.

EDIT: And on the attributes view please make the list long enough to show all units without the need for scrolling. This sticks a bit too close to DK
    Last edited by YourMaster; November 7th, 2018 at 09:16.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Looks to be convenient when you want to modify units.

I would lose the sound effect though on opening the unit-dropdown. And possibly add buttons to the dropdown that allow you to go to the next/previous unit.
    It could use some of the information from the imp.cfg as mouse-over effects to explain some of the values.

Most importantly though is the saving functionality, it's not clear at all how that works. Does it auto-save all the changes you make? And when you use 'save as' from the menu it still isn't clear if what you're saving because you don't start in the correct folder or are you given a suggested file-name? Do you need to save all files separately or does it save everything at once.
    I found the 'save' button at the bottom, what would already help a lot is if that save gets a mouse over that tells you if you are saving just this single unit or to all units.
    Even better would be to remove the current button and add two separate buttons, one that says 'save changes to current unit' and another that says 'save changes to all units'.

EDIT: And on the attributes view please make the list long enough to show all units without the need for scrolling. This sticks a bit too close to DK
    The above link should now be a new version of my editor (I was expecting to have to provide a new link, but apparently not ). I've made most of the changes, but I'm not sure why you think it's best to get rid of the sound on the creature drop-down list? I can't think of anywhere in Dungeon Keeper's GUI that doesn't make that sound when you click on something .

EDIT: Oh, it doesn't auto-save. You have to save manually. In fact, the old version only saved the current section. This new version should load and save the entire file at once. Again, if there are any bugs...
    Last edited by AdamP; November 8th, 2018 at 03:31.

The sound effect is feedback for doing an action, with the dropdown that action is complete when you select the unit. When you also have a sound when you open the dropdown, and you want to see several units, you keep getting two sounds which is a bit much, a bit annoying and not really helpful at all. It's nothing important, but I'd think you'd find it will just feel better that way.

Troll

New version. Fixed the stats on other tabs not reloading when restoring defaults. Same link.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    The sound effect is feedback for doing an action, with the dropdown that action is complete when you select the unit. When you also have a sound when you open the dropdown, and you want to see several units, you keep getting two sounds which is a bit much, a bit annoying and not really helpful at all. It's nothing important, but I'd think you'd find it will just feel better that way.
    Well, I think the editor plays the sound when clicking a menu, which is not technically an action in the sense I think you're talking about (unless I'm mistaken?). I don't think the drop-down is any different. But as you say, it's not that important...

Troll

New version. Fixed a couple of typos. E.g. the 'Bile Demom' is now the 'Bile Demon'. Same link.

Troll

New version. Fixed a bug which caused the 'Heal Requirement' attribute to not save properly :$. I only noticed it when I tried to do this with it because I had backed up and copied over my current creature cfg files. Same link.
    Last edited by AdamP; December 12th, 2018 at 00:13.

Troll

New version. Fixed what appears to be a problem noticed and reported here. Same link.

Can you add spells to your editor?
    Last edited by YourMaster; February 2nd, 2020 at 09:05.

It's there in the experience tab. Giving spells to units that is.