Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DK1: Changes to to make it even more fun

Default Re: DK1: Changes to make it even more fun

A new size creature would I think be very difficult to see since creatures grow on level-up anyway. But that would be easily possible if the possibility to add more creatures would be implemented.

I can't even imagine where we would begin to find a sprite artist in this day and age able to working with the aging tech of DK, even if we had money to throw around to pay for their services.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    It requires a lot of work and skill to draw all the sprites for a single creature.
    I highly doubt DK1's creature sprites were all manually drawn. They all seem to comprise a collection of 3D mesh snapshots taken at different angles. Building and texturing a new creature mesh should not be too difficult for even a novice modeller, but getting the angles and lighting to match DK1's could be tricky. The capturing process would be even more time-consuming without proper automation tools.

You're right, the sprites weren't manually drawn, and making completely new sprites I think is indeed only feasible by somehow capturing basic models. What would already help here is if we had the original models available, but we don't. If we did it would also have led to higher resolution sprites by now.
    Making tiny cosmetic changes to a single unit can probably most easily be accomplished by batch processing the sprites.

But who knows, perhaps someday a modeler does show up here with the desire to make a new unit for KeeperFX.

Whereby a blue dragon would not be necessary.

I imagine:

1 , , 2 , 3 , 5 , 7 , 10

So he looks with + unlike the normal dragon

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

You're right, the sprites weren't manually drawn, and making completely new sprites I think is indeed only feasible by somehow capturing basic models. What would already help here is if we had the original models available, but we don't. If we did it would also have led to higher resolution sprites by now.
    Making tiny cosmetic changes to a single unit can probably most easily be accomplished by batch processing the sprites.

But who knows, perhaps someday a modeler does show up here with the desire to make a new unit for KeeperFX.
    I mean, im pretty sure the models of DK1 would be hilariously easy to create in 3D now and capture from the right angles? I do more complex shit literally for breakfast. How can there not have been anyone so far who has done this?

I guess because most people prefer to eat breakfast.

Hell, a while ago I opened a topic to see if anybody was even interested to add some decorative statues. There are currently a few placeholder statues included (which are regular status with a big red number painted across) that can be replaced by actual new statues. Getting them into the game is trivial. Currently there are 3 evil looking statues, but 0 statues fitting in a hero-dungeon. And the statues would only 2 images - top down and frontal - but nobody stood up to actually make those 2 images.

But I'd be perfectly happy to make you breakfast sometime (no sex, no sleep-over, just breakfast) if you made us a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by DBlac View Post
    I mean, im pretty sure the models of DK1 would be hilariously easy to create in 3D now and capture from the right angles? I do more complex shit literally for breakfast. How can there not have been anyone so far who has done this?
    If it's hilariously easy, i'd gladly take up the task and learn the processes involved to model and/or capture models.

Lords of Nether
    Lead Game Designer

I guess because most people prefer to eat breakfast.

Hell, a while ago I opened a topic to see if anybody was even interested to add some decorative statues. There are currently a few placeholder statues included (which are regular status with a big red number painted across) that can be replaced by actual new statues. Getting them into the game is trivial. Currently there are 3 evil looking statues, but 0 statues fitting in a hero-dungeon. And the statues would only 2 images - top down and frontal - but nobody stood up to actually make those 2 images.

But I'd be perfectly happy to make you breakfast sometime (no sex, no sleep-over, just breakfast) if you made us a unit.
    I think you know why i wouldnt have any time to do that :P but it just strikes me as odd that noone on this forum, as long as it has existed and as many things it has gone through like the idea of remaking DK1, has ever done something like that for ya. Was Blut the only modeller on here ever?

Quote Originally Posted by damedog View Post
    If it's hilariously easy, i'd gladly take up the task and learn the processes involved to model and/or capture models.
    Well i mean if i can learn how to work with Maya, im sure you can (Although id suggest 3DS Max because fuck Maya sometimes.). But either Maya, or ZBrush and probably Substance painter if you want any decent textures. Mind you those two rely on artistic skill so it might take you more time to get where you want if it's something you dont have. What im really saying is there cant have just been one and only one modeller on this forum in all these years who was capable of doing anything? I can see it happening now given how dead things are around here but eh.

Well, that's the thing, you need somebody both willing AND able.
    Although you could do it from your marketing budget of course. Have it be one of your heroes to be put into the game and have all the news sites in the world pick up on the fact that after 20 years there's a new unit introduced in Dungeon Keeper, and if you want more you have to try this Lord of Holland game.