Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another DK2 unofficial patch in progress

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Another DK2 unofficial patch in progress

If you didn't know already, I'm doing an unofficial patch for DK2 that is gonna correcting some bugs or wrong things in the game and in levels. I won't be able to correct everything. I'm just gonna correct much easy stuff.

Minor correction
    Major correction

Things I have corrected so far:
    - The "Hero Stone Bridge" now has "Stone Bridge" GUI icon instead of "Wooden Bridge".
    - The "Maiden Of The Nest", "Dark Elf", "Elven Archer" and "Elite Dark Elf" are now "Female" instead of "Male".
    - The "Hero Portcullis" now has "Material Type: Metal 1" instead of "Stone".
    - The "Hero Creature Bed" object is no more placeable in the Level Editor.
    - The "Hero Gate Table" object is no more placeable in the Level Editor.
    - The "Guard Post Table" object is now placeable in the Level Editor.
    - The "Guard Post Weapons" object is now placeable in the Level Editor.
    - A few sound effects have been changed from 64kbps to 48kbps simply to hear them in MAStudio. The quality of those sounds are still very good and the changes are not really noticeable.
    - The Level Editor has now more icons in the Graphics folder and a few Creature icons has been corrected at the same time.
    - The Creature Spells icons have now correct GUI icons in-game.
    - "MapColours.png" file added into the "Maps\Thumbnails" folder.
    - "Book Explosion" Effect (the flying papers in the Library when a creature attacks) is now silent.

- The "Anger (In Hand)" value of almost all creatures has been inverted so that now they become annoyed when they are kept in the Hand of Evil for too long.
    (Previously, only the Dark Mistress was annoyed to be in the Hand of Evil for too long which absolutely didn't make sense. Now, after the change, she enjoys that and every other creature (excepted for the Skeleton) becomes annoyed.)
    - Correction of a bug with the French version of the Mentor speeches that announces the count-down.

Things remaining to correct:
    - Wrong messages shown when a creature is unhappy or angry to be imprisoned.
    (For this one, I need an information for accustomed DK2 players: did you already get a message where a creature "is sulking" or "has no work to do" during one of your previous games? Examples:
    A Goblin is sulking.
    A Warlock has no work to do. (AND NOT: A Warlock has become unhappy because he has no work to do.) This is because, if the answer is no, I'd have to do major modifications of the "Speech.str" and "Speech_Mentor.std" files by replacing some strings. Only French and English versions will be modified.)
    - Giving strings to the things added into the 1.7 patch (Transfer Creature magic box, Jack-In-The-Box crate, Jack-In-The-Box trap...).
    - Altering some strings to improve a few messages.
    - Changing some normal hidden creatures into Elite ones in appropriate campaign levels.
    - Correcting some objects being placed over a wrong terrain that may cause a crash during the level or at the very beginning (examples: door placed over water, bonus boxes placed in lava...)
    - Checking the Variable files of every level.
    - Checking the Script of every level.
    - Adding unused speeches in levels.
    - More... (I will see)

Things I'd like to correct:

- Global AI (but apparently, the data is inside the executable)

I'd also like to share my patch with Tomix's one, so if you're there Tomix, please answer to my PM I sent you some days ago. I'd like to know how you brought some changes.
    Last edited by DragonsLover; January 28th, 2010 at 07:03.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Default Re: Another DK2 unofficial patch in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslover
    Things remaining to correct:
    - Wrong messages shown when a creature is unhappy or angry to be imprisoned. (For this one, I need an information for accustomed DK2 players: did you already get a message where a creature "is sulking" or "has no work to do" during one of your previous games? Examples:
    A Goblin is sulking.
    A Warlock has no work to do. (AND NOT: A Warlock has become unhappy because he has no work to do.) This is because, if the answer is no, I'd have to do major modifications of the "Speech.str" and "Speech_Mentor.std" files by replacing some strings. Only French and English versions will be modified.)
    The problem I had with this is when the mentor says a Troll has become unhappy becuase it has no lair, when its accually a bile demon, or dark elf.

Sometimes he says troll, sometimes he says rouge. Regardless of the creature. Is that part fixable?

Gamer IDs

Yeah, I know that problem and yeah, it's fixable. Here are the explanations:

For every creature, the game sets three different "Anger IDs": one when the creature is unhappy, one when the creature is angry and one when the creature has left the dungeon. Each ID points to a series of strings that specifies the way he becomes annoyed. Here's an example with the Goblin:

ID 657: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has no Lair
    ID 658: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has no food
    ID 659: A Goblin has become unhappy because he hasn't been paid
    ID 660: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has no work to do
    ID 661: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been slapped
    ID 662: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has remained in the Hand of Evil for too long
    ID 663: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been left alone in the Combat Pit
    ID 664: A Goblin has become unhappy because he is in the company of creatures he hates
    ID 665: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been tortured

ID 927: A Goblin has become angry because he has no Lair
    ID 928: A Goblin has become angry because he has no food
    ID 929: A Goblin has become angry because he hasn't been paid
    ID 930: A Goblin has become angry because he has no work to do
    ID 931: A Goblin has become angry because he has been slapped
    ID 932: A Goblin has become angry because he has remained in the Hand of Evil for too long
    ID 933: A Goblin has become angry because he has been left alone in the Combat Pit
    ID 934: A Goblin has become angry because he is in the company of creatures he hates
    ID 935: A Goblin has become angry because he has been tortured

ID 1125: A Goblin has left your dungeon

(Notices that those that tells that the creature is annoyed because he has been left alone in the Combat Pit seem to be unused)

Here, the three IDs that the game use are marked in yellow (gotten with the Level Editor Pro), followed by other strings that show how the Goblin becomes annoyed.

When the Goblin becomes unhappy or angry, the game uses the ID 657 or ID 927 and increases that value to get access precisely on the correct string to use corresponding on the way the Goblin becomes annoyed. Here's when the Goblin becomes unhappy:

+0 (657+0=657) : No Lair
    +1 (657+1=658) : No Food
    +2 (657+2=659) : No Pay
    +3 (660) : No Work
    +4 (661) : Slapped
    +5 (662) : Held
    +6 (663) : Lonely (used?)
    +7 (664) : Hatred
    +8 (665) : Tortured

Well, it seems that it was planned to have ANOTHER string when a creature becomes annoyed when imprisoned which would add 9 to the corresponding IDs:

+9 (666) : Imprisoned

The problem is that, when the game adds 9 to the ID, it goes to the NEXT creature:

657 + 9 = 666 and 666 is:
    ID 666 : A Salamander has become unhappy because it has no Lair
    ID 667 : A Salamander has become unhappy because it has no food
    ID 668 : A Salamander has become unhappy because it hasn't been paid
    [...]

This is why we get the wrong creature in the message. My task here would be to add two strings for every creature that tells : "A creature has become unhappy because it is in prison" and "A creature has become angry because it is in prison". And to do that, I'd have to overwrite over some unused strings (is sulking + has no work to do), but I wasn't sure if those strings are already used or not, this is why I asked. I will also have to extract some speeches and bring some modifications so that the mentor says the sentences properly.
    Last edited by DragonsLover; January 17th, 2010 at 19:04.

It's nice to see that someone want to improve DK2, too.

- Checking the Variable files of every level.
    - Checking the Script of every level.
    I don't know exactly, but I think the maps self are less the problem.

- Global AI (but apparently, the data is inside the executable)
    That's really hard. The AI doesn't even take the changes of the DK2-Editor.

- Stopping some looping sounds (like the sheet of papers effect in the Library or the rolling Boulder. Perhaps changeable inside one of the .MAP files?)
    The most effects are saved in the "Meshes.WAD". Maybe to delete or rename this file with the boulders would help?

It's a good idea put together the changes in one patch as in two.
    Last edited by Tomix; January 20th, 2010 at 21:10.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomix
    I don't know exactly, but I think the maps self are less the problem.
    Err... what?

That's really hard. The AI doesn't even take the changes of the DK2-Editor.
    I know. It seems that the AI is only reserved for single player games where it's the only mode where the changes take effects. Skirmish and Multiplayer modes must use Global AI which is unchangeable. However, I talked about an alternative to have a better AI in Skirmish mode here.

The most effects are saved in the "Meshes.WAD". Maybe to delete or rename this file with the boulders would help?
    Huh??? Meshes.wad file only contains meshes and is important for the game. Sound effects are stored into the Sound\SFX\Global folder.

Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Yeah, I know that problem and yeah, it's fixable. Here are the explanations:

For every creature, the game sets three different "Anger IDs": one when the creature is unhappy, one when the creature is angry and one when the creature has left the dungeon. Each ID points to a series of strings that specifies the way he becomes annoyed. Here's an example with the Goblin:

ID 657: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has no Lair
    ID 658: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has no food
    ID 659: A Goblin has become unhappy because he hasn't been paid
    ID 660: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has no work to do
    ID 661: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been slapped
    ID 662: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has remained in the Hand of Evil for too long
    ID 663: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been left alone in the Combat Pit
    ID 664: A Goblin has become unhappy because he is in the company of creatures he hates
    ID 665: A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been tortured

ID 927: A Goblin has become angry because he has no Lair
    ID 928: A Goblin has become angry because he has no food
    ID 929: A Goblin has become angry because he hasn't been paid
    ID 930: A Goblin has become angry because he has no work to do
    ID 931: A Goblin has become angry because he has been slapped
    ID 932: A Goblin has become angry because he has remained in the Hand of Evil for too long
    ID 933: A Goblin has become angry because he has been left alone in the Combat Pit
    ID 934: A Goblin has become angry because he is in the company of creatures he hates
    ID 935: A Goblin has become angry because he has been tortured

ID 1125: A Goblin has left your dungeon

(Notices that those that tells that the creature is annoyed because he has been left alone in the Combat Pit seem to be unused)

Here, the three IDs that the game use are marked in yellow (gotten with the Level Editor Pro), followed by other strings that show how the Goblin becomes annoyed.

When the Goblin becomes unhappy or angry, the game uses the ID 657 or ID 927 and increases that value to get access precisely on the correct string to use corresponding on the way the Goblin becomes annoyed. Here's when the Goblin becomes unhappy:

+0 (657+0=657) : No Lair
    +1 (657+1=658) : No Food
    +2 (657+2=659) : No Pay
    +3 (660) : No Work
    +4 (661) : Slapped
    +5 (662) : Held
    +6 (663) : Lonely (used?)
    +7 (664) : Hatred
    +8 (665) : Tortured

Well, it seems that it was planned to have ANOTHER string when a creature becomes annoyed when imprisoned which would add 9 to the corresponding IDs:

+9 (666) : Imprisoned

The problem is that, when the game adds 9 to the ID, it goes to the NEXT creature:

657 + 9 = 666 and 666 is:
    ID 666 : A Salamander has become unhappy because it has no Lair
    ID 667 : A Salamander has become unhappy because it has no food
    ID 668 : A Salamander has become unhappy because it hasn't been paid
    [...]

This is why we get the wrong creature in the message. My task here would be to add two strings for every creature that tells : "A creature has become unhappy because it is in prison" and "A creature has become angry because it is in prison". And to do that, I'd have to overwrite over some unused strings (is sulking + has no work to do), but I wasn't sure if those strings are already used or not, this is why I asked. I will also have to extract some speeches and bring some modifications so that the mentor says the sentences properly.
    so you are basically saying that somehow we need to make a new mentor saying for imprisoned on every creature, or remove the unhappyness of improsonness.

either one can't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomix View Post
    It's nice to see that someone want to improve DK2,
    Huh... so you DO exist =) we thought that you disappeared.

What is your progress?
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

I'm living, I only got problems with my router.

Err... what?
    I try again ...

I think the maps are not the problem. The problem with the crashes is written in the DKII.exe in my opinion.

For example: One player get 0 gold and now it's payday. The player get -1000 gold or similar to. There is nowhere written in the exe what happend then, so the game crashs.

Huh??? Meshes.wad file only contains meshes and is important for the game. Sound effects are stored into the Sound\SFX\Global folder.
    Sry my fault, I tought you mean the effects.

Change it in the map-files or delete the entry from the DKII.exe.

What is your progress?
    Not much done since my last visit. I have problems to solve the bugs.
    I'm thinking about to release the beta of patch 1.8 .

What about the AI, Hapuga?

Gamer IDs

I think the maps are not the problem. The problem with the crashes is written in the DKII.exe in my opinion.
    Did you know that some levels can actually cause crashes?

Quote Originally Posted by dk2player
    so you are basically saying that somehow we need to make a new mentor saying for imprisoned on every creature, or remove the unhappyness of improsonness.

either one can't be easy.
    It's not possible to remove the unhappiness messages of creatures being imprisoned. It has been decided that way by Bullfrog.

However, it is possible to make new mentor speeches and this is what I'm doing actually. However, there's a huge problem: it would only work for French and English versions for now as I don't know other languages. Here's what I did: I extracted the mentor speeches of every creature saying that a creature has become unhappy/angry because he/she has been left alone in the combat pit. I also extracted the mentor speech where the word "imprisoned" is contained. By using a sound editor program, I simply cut the word "imprisoned" from the speech and placed it in all the other speeches that I had extracted so that it gives, for example:

A Goblin has become unhappy because he has been imprisoned.

Then, I will have to change the text strings and extract tons of speeches to rearrange them and change the speech IDs for every creature so that everything becomes okay. It's not easy, true, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomix View Post
    Not much done since my last visit. I have problems to solve the bugs.
    I'm thinking about to release the beta of patch 1.8 .

What about the AI, Hapuga?
    I can tell you all I have found + some of my personal theories, if you wish.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif