Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Few Questions about KeeperFX

Default Re: Few Questions about KeeperFX

Sure, I'd take a mistress over a hound any day of the week, but mistresses are just damn good. Skeletons aren't that much worse than hounds, but they will lose in a straight up fight. The skeletons redeeming feature is their lightning, which they only get at lvl 10, where the hell hound gets his must powerful spell - speed - at lvl 3 already.
    And I find skeletons to be much more annoying as well, not just because of them being lair enemies to the much appreciated but gassy biles, but most of them that they will fill up my training room even when I don't want to on low-gold maps. There I'd want to get my mistresses trained, or my vampires the first few levels and keep the rest of the gold for the next payday.

It's just a shame he always comes so late in the game. That's the main reason he will hardly get any use, even if you haven't already won or at least explored the map by the time you get the scavenger room, by that time you do you often already have trained biles, mistresses, dragons and orcs, perhaps even reapers or vampires, so you're not really waiting for a mid-tier unit that's especially useful in exploring the map.

Hi! I didn't want to start a new thread since I share a lot of the same sentiments with the OP of this one.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the KFX and the Unofficial initiative - I've been playing DK since its release (as a kid), I've been preparing a high difficulty mod for it a number of years ago, then I discovered KFX and thought that it was a very good idea. However, the project at that time was in its infancy and not really suitable for modders.

Now I have my degree in computer science, some background in embedded and scientific computing and so I though I'd come back and take a look. Probably resurrect my campaign/mod idea and maybe commit some fun stuff to the project if I can.

I also have some extensive modding experience in modding Fallout and Fallout 2 as I was part of the then-prominent Russian modder community called TeamX (Restoration mod etc.). Cheers if you know our work

So, for now I have a few technical questions. I understand that it might be required from me to dive into the code to answer them, but if it is not a burden, please take a look at them:

1. Is it possible to port variables between levels?
    For example, a player may accomplish something special in a level, and I think it would be nice for the game to remember this during next levels. I think this is a good feature because a map maker can do all sorts of branched campaigns.
    There should be a mechanism to remember the transferred creature for example. Maybe there is a possibility to pass an additional variable around too. If it is already a thing somehow, I'd like to know. If not, I may take a look to see if I could code it in.

2. Probably a stupid one - are there any particular obstacles if I want to have a specific non-red player color for the player? I know that the human player defaults to player0, but at the same time there are multiplayer maps that do not have anything hardcoded. Can this be done in a campaign (Assuming I make all the levels using the right colors of course).

3. Was there any attempts to raise level cap for creatures (10)?

Cheers from Moscow, Russia!
    Last edited by OrsonMaxwell; August 3rd, 2018 at 14:40.

1. Not currently no. I was sure I made a feature request for exactly this feature once, but I can't find it. I think it is something that should be possible to implement. I think this is something that would really elevate campaigns, to get some sort of connection between levels instead just a random string of levels put together in a pack. I think in general the game can be improved quite a bit by adding some possibilities to the level script, to keep all current levels playing as they are but at the same time allowing new levels to do more.

2. The multiplayer maps actually are hard-coded. The Dungeon hearts are pre-placed, and they and the tiles around them already have the colors assigned. If you end up as player yellow, you simply start at the yellow starting location. If you want colors to be different, you've got to point the game to the wrong textures and it should work. So when the mapmaker places a red room, in game it looks like a yellow room instead, and vice versa.

3. I don't think so, but I can tell you now this will not be an easy thing to do.

1. Yes, that's what I thought as well. Ok I'll see what I can do as soon as I get it to compile. I think I'll try to dig up transfer creature code and start from there.

2. Yes, the maps are, but the player number that gets assigned to you is determined in the lobby. I was wondering if maybe you can state somewhere that you are, say, player2 when you start a campaign.

3. The more I think of it, the more I agree with this - too much work for too little of a return.

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Take a look at game_saves.c as well.

2. There's already a tool out there that does the pallet swaps, it's included in dktools, but it only works for the original game I believe. And there's the -human command line option in KeeperFX to pick as which player you start, but that way when you say you want to start as player 2, you start out on that location in the campaign, and the script commands won't work well for you.