Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Behemoth

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Default Behemoth

A truly formidable creature found only far, far below ground, but despite the Behemoths evident size and bulk, it dumber than even a brain-damaged fly and relies entirely on instinct. It does, however, make up for this with extremely acute senses and detect movement from smell and sound from twice the distance of most other creatures. Behemoths can even detect traces of mana in the air and will find themselves attracted to mana vaults, temples and dungeon hearts. This isn't usually much of a problem as behemoths can't fit though narrow dungeon passageways and dwell only in large caverns.

Behemoths, as to be more manageable will always be on preset patrol paths with in the area they dwell. As such you can predict their movements, usually. It can't be forgotten however that the Behemoths powerful senses means it can still located and come after you from quite a way away.

Health: Very-High
    Attack: High
    Defense: Low
    Armour: High
    Accuracy: Medium
    Dexterity: Low
    Speed: Medium-Low
    Intelligence: Extremely-Low
    Wage: None

Obtainable by:
    The Behemoth is obtainable by editor only. It would get stuck in a portal, couldn't get out of a temple and couldn't fit in a torture chamber. Even if you did get one it would still eat all your creature and wouldn't follow orders.

Fighting Style:
    The Behemoth is a blitzer.

Prospective Abilities
    Level 1 - Melee
    Level 4 - Overpowering Stench [Passive] (Creatures close to the Behemoth slowly lose health.)
    Level 8 - Gargantuan Sweep (The Behemoth makes a wide sweep with his head, immediately stunning all creatures caught by it. Long Recharge.)

Appearance
    I imagine the behemoth to be some kind of massive lumbering beast with thick skin. It would probably walk on all fours rather than two.
    Last edited by Mothrayas; September 11th, 2011 at 21:29. Reason: changed tag to Boss
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Default Re: Behemoth

It sounds like it's almost an ambient creature (such as a glow worm or firefly) but massively large. I like that they are drawn to Mana Vaults, I would expect to find them sleeping next to one .

How does the low intelligence affect their fighting skills. Would they attack traps? or just stand there and take damage whilst doing nothing about it? Would they chase enemies for long distances? Perhaps they have a very short attention span. Would they get distracted easily and even chase the wrong things like a harmless firefly? Maybe they have a very short sight radius and will attack almost anything that comes close.

Having such a huge creature that can't actually fit in a dungeon unless you make the corridors wider (which means no doors) makes me wonder if we should have some sort of method to contruct double doors. But thats another topic!

I love the idea of a huge dumb leviathan of a creature.

Sounds like a buffed Horned Reaper only useful in special designed senarios for it, otherwise it's very, VERY counterproductive.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

lol'd at the creature. Maybe, maybe.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    It sounds like it's almost an ambient creature (such as a glow worm or firefly) but massively large. I like that they are drawn to Mana Vaults, I would expect to find them sleeping next to one .
    It is almost exactly that. It isn't a creature but an animal which acts as an extra danger/external force on some maps from the depths. Due to its size it only lurks in large central caverns or cave systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Having such a huge creature that can't actually fit in a dungeon unless you make the corridors wider (which means no doors) makes me wonder if we should have some sort of method to contruct double doors. But thats another topic!
    They are attracted towards your dungeon naturally but the whole idea is that they shouldn't be able to get in. Why? Because if it did there would be no stopping it. Summoning Horny wouldn't even do you much good because it would still take him quite a long time to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Sounds like a buffed Horned Reaper only useful in special designed senarios for it, otherwise it's very, VERY counterproductive.
    Essentially this is a creature from the Depths and adds a further danger element to the realm. Essentially it would be only in specially designed scenarios with large caverns and open areas. No one can actually obtain the Behemoth so it isn't particularly unbalanced in that respect.

Essentially this is a creature from the Depths and adds a further danger element to the realm. Essentially it would be only in specially designed scenarios with large caverns and open areas. No one can actually obtain the Behemoth so it isn't particularly unbalanced in that respect.
    Balance? I'm not even talking about that part yet, but it does sorta links with my questioning of it's usefulness. I don't believe it would be really likeable to have a creature that needs PER SE special designed levels. You don't give much info about this creature but from what I understand it can one-shot creatures.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Balance? I'm not even talking about that part yet, but it does sorta links with my questioning of it's usefulness. I don't believe it would be really likeable to have a creature that needs PER SE special designed levels. You don't give much info about this creature but from what I understand it can one-shot creatures.
    It isn't meant be useful. It is a hindrance. You probably wouldn't want to put a behemoth in a map anyway without setting out to do so before hand. You can put a behemoth in any map with large open caverns but will it flow with game-play? You probably want to think hard before adding one. You have a point.

But I'm not finished it yet and I haven't added much info... because I really still figuring out how it would work. Maybe it could be part of a custom game-play mode . I don't know yet. I'm still refining it and I've decided it won't be quite as strong as it says up there.

There should be a certain ambience creature that can control it and if the enemy is aware of what is controlling it and kills the controller, then the behemoth will just attack everyone.

If you capture this ambient creature then you can attempt to convert it and have it to control the behemoth.

If you control the behemoth you can't pick it up and if you pick up this other creature then that behemoth is just going to cause problems for all once again.

At least then this can create a decent tactic instead of there just being 'yet another' creature on the map that you have to fight if encountered.

battle style should be blocker or blitzer

I -really- don't like the idea of designing a creature around a role... Design the creature what it would naturally be like, and let the player decide its role - not the developer.