Thread: KeeperFX crashes when trying to run with sound. Works with -nosound fine.

Default KeeperFX crashes when trying to run with sound. Works with -nosound fine.

As per subj, trying to run it with sound, causes it to crash during sound initialisation. The splash screen appears, but then the game throws a generic "program stopped working" message. Running on Windows 7, Soundblaster Live soundcard. Tried to run with onboard sound as well, with the same result.

The log file is:

Dungeon Keeper FX ver 0.4.6.1834 (heavylog release)
    LOG CREATED @ 03:27:44 12-07-2018

Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 256x256
    Sync: CPU GenuineIntel type 0 family 6 model 10 stepping 1 features bfebfbff
    Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
    Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.
    Sync: load_configuration: Starting
    Sync: load_configuration: Processing Config file, 888 bytes
    Sync: load_configuration: Config loaded
    Sync: setup_screen_mode_zero: Setting up mode 28
    Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode 1280x960x32 setup succeeded
    Sync: LbScreenSetup: Done filling display properties struct
    Sync: LbScreenSetup: Finished
    Sync: Moon phase 0.8742
    Sync: init_sound: Starting
    Running a non-heavylog makes log stop at Moonphase.
    Otherwise the game runs fine if I run it with -nosound command, but I want to play with sound.

Default Re: KeeperFX crashes when trying to run with sound. Works with -nosound fine.

That sounds like this problem listed in the troubleshooting section. Disabling 'GX Mode' in your 'Audio Center' will solve it.

On an unrelated note, playing with the latest nightly will give you many more problems. Use KeeperFX Unofficial, the unpatched 0.4.6 release or nightly 1793 instead.

Default Re: KeeperFX crashes when trying to run with sound. Works with -nosound fine.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Disabling 'GX Mode' in your 'Audio Center' will solve it.
    I don't have anything resembling GX mode in my audio center. Neither in Sound Blaster options, nor in generic sound options. After googling it up it seems that it appears only on Asus sound cards, which is not my case.
    Can you post me an image on how is it supposed to look, in case I'm looking in the wrong place?

Running KeeperFX Unofficial leads to the same result.
    Last edited by Zarkiel; July 12th, 2018 at 16:30.

Yeah, I don't expect this issue to be any different in any of the KeeperFX versions.

And you're right, the GX mode is a mode of ASUS sound cards where they emulate EAX features, which can cause problems, and in case of KeeperFX does cause problems like the one you're having. I believe your soundblaster live is a creative audio card, and I don't know specifically which version of the card you have, and I don't have either a creative or an asus sound card so It's difficult for me to help you.

Try to look in your sound blaster options if you can exclude keeperfx somehow, and or can disable anything that resembles 'Environmental Audio Extensions'.
    If nothing else works, you could try if you can disable your soundblaster from device manager while playing KeeperFX and using your onboard audio for the game, but I understand that's really inconvenient.

All those audio enhancement settings (EAX, X-Fi and Crystalizer) were already disabled. I went over and fiddled with them, turning them on/off and checking if Keeper will start working, in the end it didn't work with either combination, nor with all of them on or off. Onboard sound card (with Sound blaster devices disabled, and it being the only enabled device) didn't work either, with all its effects disabled.

DosBOX version of the game works fine with sound and all, and this is the only game I'm having a problem with because of the sound. I honestly don't know what a problem may be, since every setting that can be remotely descrived as enhancement is turned off, and I already tried to fiddle wit them all trying to figure if turning one of them all would make Keeper working, but it didn't.

KeeperFX really has nothing in common on a technical front with the dosbox or vanilla versions of the game, so it does not surprise me that these have the sound.

And I've got no idea's left, sorry. The game crashes immediately for you, but just with sound enabled, and with either of your sound cards/drivers, and it leaves nothing at all in the log file,.... so sound related, but just for you but unrelated to your hardware or drivers. When you get the windows error message, could you 'view program details' and try to see if you can get an exception code, then perhaps we could at least google that.

Here's what it tells me (i have russian Windows 7)

Сигнатура проблемы:
    Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
    Имя приложения: keeperfx.exe
    Версия приложения: 0.4.6.1850
    Отметка времени приложения: 59a17a62
    Имя модуля с ошибкой: kernel32.dll
    Версия модуля с ошибкой: 6.1.7601.18409
    Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 53159a85
    Код исключения: c00000fd
    Смещение исключения: 000115d8
    Версия ОС: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Код языка: 1049
    Дополнительные сведения 1: 412c
    Дополнительные сведения 2: 412cd8da46b860a8ba3e5aea97869df3
    Дополнительные сведения 3: f5f5
    Дополнительные сведения 4: f5f56c3b98d5f366bd66b362ec360963
    Exception code is c00000fd
    Exception offset (shift) is 000115d8

Sorry, googling that also gives me nothing concrete. Or too many things, ranging from broken sound cards, conflicting drivers, corrupt registry and more.
    Have you tried both directx and windib?

What did you mean by "trying DirectX and Windib"? I have DirectX installed, both latest and 9.0c, trying to install any of them again gives me "already installed" message.
    I don't know what windib is - googling it gave me a few threads about people using windib with no signs of what that windib is, and some github by user named windib with things i have no idea what to do about. Could you provide some instructions on what windib is and where to get it and what to do with it?

The game can either run with directx, or with windib. Use the launcher and go to the run options. You can force either with the video driver to see if it helps. You can also disable the awe32/64 banks and see if that helps, but I suspect neither will work.