Thread: Printer Easter Egg?

Kalsei

Default Printer Easter Egg?

Hey I am new here and was wanting to ask about a supposed enemy keeper fax or message that is printed out by having a printer connected. I have heard rumours that if you have a printer attached and if you play a certain level either 6 or 7 or so at midnight it prints out a message from the enemy keeper.

I asked one of the software developers a while back and they confirmed they had it in the game but it was patches out in the gold version and was not able to provide any more information as to if it still works and what printer would be needed

Has anyone here who is still active ever had it happen to them how would I go about getting this supposed easter egg to work in 2018 or is it impossible now. There is a chance it is enabled on the original 1997 dungeon keeper but unsure if it will work anymore.

Default Re: Printer Easter Egg?

I never had it myself, but you can still see the messages in the level scripts. See here.
    Supposedly all you had to do was have a connected printer switched on for it to work.

But if you look at the link I provided, testing it would be very straightforward. For example play level 9 and wait until you have 20 units and the message should be printed.

Hard to overstate how cool of a feature this was during the time period it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I never had it myself, but you can still see the messages in the level scripts. See here.
    Supposedly all you had to do was have a connected printer switched on for it to work.

But if you look at the link I provided, testing it would be very straightforward. For example play level 9 and wait until you have 20 units and the message should be printed.

Ehhm sorry to burst your bubble that that "PRINT" does not refer to actually printing to paper, it "PRINT" is a term used for showing text in a console or to screen, all that did was show that line of text ingame or in their debugging console, it's been made inactive by that REM in front of it (REMARK) meaning its turned into a comment (not executed code)

You are right that they are commented out in the latest version, but all evidence points to the print command actually being used to send those messages to the printer in a pre-release version. See the scripting guide for example.

Oh snap! Double bubble burst