Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Something surreal is happening...

Troll

Default Something surreal is happening...

Hi,

I've tried this several times and I'm convinced there's some sort of queer bug, at least in the latest Alpha version of KeeperFX (don't know about other versions). I cannot get very far into Morkardar without the entire game hanging. I have to Ctr-Alt-Delete and sign out just to get out of the game; trying to kill the program doesn't work.

There are also sometimes tell-tale signs that something isn't right; the first time I played the level tonight, several bizarre things happened: I actually made it to the enemy heart and "destroyed" it (it wasn't actually destroyed or even damaged (even though I had bashed it to pieces and had actually got the "You have defeated an enemy Keeper" message), but the game said it had been destroyed. Also, all blue's territory remained). The training room posts stopped spinning, and the chickens in the hatchery became stationary and motionless. Some of the spells in the Library were spinning really quickly, and others stood still. Just now, before my game hung, I noticed that the red smoke that appears when an Imp fortifies a wall didn't disappear, but was hanging motionless in mid air. The last 2 times it hung, it was when I possessed a Horned Reaper. Bear in mind that this is just minutes, if not seconds, into the game.

Looking at the log, I see an awful lot of "Infinite loop detected when sweeping things list" errors. That can't be good. I also played another level, which worked fine and with no such error.

Nothing like this has yet happened on any other level I've played (not that I've played the majority of them), but it seems to me there's some sort of bug. Surely the game shouldn't be crashing under any circumstance? Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Could this have something to do with the neutral Horned Reaper being tortured in the neutral Torture Chamber, something that doesn't happen in the original game. Also, part of the multicoloured fire is stationary, despite there being another multicoloured file that isn't and goes around the room as it's supposed to.
    Last edited by AdamP; December 27th, 2018 at 04:23.

Default Re: Something surreal is happening...

I've never seen this bug no, and of course nobody wants stuff like this to occur.

The behavior with the neutral units did get introduced in the Alpha version here, but I don't see any connection with this bug. You could make sure though by adding PASSIVE_NEUTRALS to the 'classic bugs' in rules.cfg.

Edit: You don't happen to have a save-game from when stuff goes wrong do you? And do you notice issues right away, or after a while of playing?
    Last edited by YourMaster; December 27th, 2018 at 15:06.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I've never seen this bug no, and of course nobody wants stuff like this to occur.

The behavior with the neutral units did get introduced in the Alpha version here, but I don't see any connection with this bug. You could make sure though by adding PASSIVE_NEUTRALS to the 'classic bugs' in rules.cfg.

Edit: You don't happen to have a save-game from when stuff goes wrong do you? And do you notice issues right away, or after a while of playing?
    I'll see if I can get one and/or do a video tonight. The issues start very soon after the game begins. I'm trying to repeat a speedrun I saw on YouTube, so I naturally head straight for the Horned Reaper. It is around the time I approach it or break the door down that I start noticing issues. It once hung totally around then as well. I'm not doing anything "illegal", so it shouldn't be going funny or hanging.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that all the infinite loop errors appear at the bottom of the log. They are undoubtedly what's causing the game to go all weird.
    Last edited by AdamP; December 27th, 2018 at 18:07.

I'd much rather have a saved-game than a movie. I'm not asking the saved-game because I don't believe you but because that allows me (or somebody else) to investigate and possibly see if it is fixed. A movie can't help there.

Troll

I'd much rather have a saved-game than a movie. I'm not asking the saved-game because I don't believe you but because that allows me (or somebody else) to investigate and possibly see if it is fixed. A movie can't help there.
    fx1g0007.zip

Here's a save file (also included is the log file. There are a fair few infinite loop errors). The game hasn't hung (at least not yet), but all the weirdness I described (and then some: the game counts my Horned Reaper as 3, and he also moves extremely fast. The same has happened for some Imps and at least 1 Mistress.) is there. Check everywhere (both dungeons), including the bits that are not yet explored.

Edit: I also have another save file from just after stuff started going wrong (I think).
    Last edited by AdamP; December 28th, 2018 at 04:42.

Troll

And here's a video showing even more weirdness: (for the first part, I had already "destroyed" Blue's Dungeon Heart)

Troll

There apparently is a connexion; enabling PASSIVE_NEUTRALS fixed the problem. I managed to do everything as intended with nothing unusual happening. I disabled it, and weirdness returned, with the game hanging when I tried to possess the Horned Reaper. Again, it was around the time I reached the Torture Chamber that I started to notice strange things happening.

It might not be the Horned Reaper in the Torture Chamber though; it might be the neutral creatures in the Prison, or maybe both.
    Last edited by AdamP; December 28th, 2018 at 02:27.

Ok, thanks for all the feedback. I will try to either fix the feature, or revert it before release.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    fx1g0007.zip

Here's a save file (also included is the log file. There are a fair few infinite loop errors). The game hasn't hung (at least not yet), but all the weirdness I described (and then some: the game counts my Horned Reaper as 3, and he also moves extremely fast. The same has happened for some Imps and at least 1 Mistress.) is there. Check everywhere (both dungeons), including the bits that are not yet explored.

Edit: I also have another save file from just after stuff started going wrong (I think).
    Sorry, I completely missed this post and only saw the last one you made. Thanks, and it is indeed very easy to reproduce the error. No need to even do anything with the reaper, I listed an issue for it. The bug will either get fixed, or the entire neutral-units feature reverted, but this issue won't make it into the release. Thank you for reporting it.

I did notice many more errors in your log file, but those seem to be completely unrelated. It seems you have edited your own creature configs and made some errors there. If you don't know how to fix those, I suggest to delete them and get back to the original files.

Troll

Sorry, I completely missed this post and only saw the last one you made. Thanks, and it is indeed very easy to reproduce the error. No need to even do anything with the reaper, I listed an issue for it. The bug will either get fixed, or the entire neutral-units feature reverted, but this issue won't make it into the release. Thank you for reporting it.

I did notice many more errors in your log file, but those seem to be completely unrelated. It seems you have edited your own creature configs and made some errors there. If you don't know how to fix those, I suggest to delete them and get back to the original files.
    To which errors are you referring? I am using modified creature stats, but have never noticed anything wrong, and this is the only map I have yet noticed anything like this happening. Are there any other maps that have neutral units in a torture chamber?

Also, in the issue, you said hatchery. Don't you mean torture chamber or treasure room? I don't recall there being a hatchery there or anywhere nearby... .