Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CAMPAIGN Assmist isle (2019)

Thumbs up CAMPAIGN Assmist isle (2019)

Made for and tested on KeeperFX Unofficial - alpha 1896 (get it here)
    also for 0.4.7

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK

Name
    Assmist Isle (2019)

Number of maps
    14+2 bonus

Creation date
    March 2019

Difficulty
    challenging

Last update:
    21th of July, 2020

Current/newest version is included in KeeperFX alphas.
    download link for old version

Levels:
    1. Deserted Crypt (click for video walkthrough)
    2. Don't Fear the Reaper (click for video walkthrough)
    3. Lighthouse Underground
    4. Martyr Halls
    5. Opulent Point (click for video walkthrough)
    6. Ziggurat Blitz Massacre
    7. Relic Tunnels
    8. Springs Execration
    9. Abandoned Sanctum
    10. Fervent Asylum
    11. The Phoenix Penitentiary
    12. Mill Vault
    13. Reapers' Yard
    14. Comet Landing Grotto

Bonus:
    1. Cloud Temple Ruins
    2. Thieves Den Detour (click for video walkthrough)

Acemist isle. An awfully poor and Christian place where its citizens die of old age, live a boring puritanical life and enjoy spreading their ludicrous beliefs. Some call it the second Poland. Do not underestimate them, however: they even managed to convert some of your minions which they'll gladly use against you. Their abominable accent makes the isle name sound as if they were mumbling 'Assmist isle'. A fitting future name once your bile demons are done with it, don't you think?

There are some changes in this campaign:
    Avatar is no longer one of kind and is considered a lord of the land.
    Avatar's abilities changed to make him melee focused making him much more devastating foe, actually deserving the title lord of the land rather than being an overly durable wizard.
    lvl 1: Melee swing
    lvl 2: Armour
    lvl 4: Heal
    lvl 6: Freeze
    lvl 8: Meteor
    lvl 9: Invisibility
    lvl 10: Speed

Warlock's base health increased from 350 to 375.
    Warlock's spellbook changed - added teleport at level 5 and word of power becomes available at level 7 along with sight.
    Sleep experience gained when next to gold increased from 200 to 250.

Tentacle's sleep experience gained when next to water increased from 400 to 600.

Samurais don't see invisible units by default but only when they gain sight at level 10.

Vampires gain poison cloud at lvl 6.

Wizards' missile replaced with fireball. Wizards can shoot poison cloud at lvl 3. Wizards are no longer immune to gas.

Witch/priestess health improved from 300 to 350, changed spellbook:
    lvl 1: Melee swing
    lvl 2: Fly
    lvl 3: Hailstorm
    lvl 4: Rebound
    lvl 5: Wind
    lvl 6: Lightning
    lvl 7: Teleport; making her the only hero with the ability (besides tunneller)
    lvl 8: Heal
    lvl 10: Meteor

WALKTHROUGH, only use when stuck! it spoils the fun.

Spoiler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ami2019 1.2.jpg 
Views:	2228 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	1949
    Last edited by kix; March 28th, 2021 at 11:06.

Default Re: CAMPAIGN Assmist isle (2019)

Great, I checked out the script of the first 2 levels, and see you used some new script commands. I've actually made a map to demo them, but I never finished play-testing it. I don't think most people really appreciate how much can be done with the 'add_to_flag' command. I'll properly check out your maps sometimes.

EDIT:

Case in point, for example this bit from your script from 10005:
    Code:
    IF(PLAYER0,FLAG2==0)
    IF(PLAYER_GOOD,TOTAL_CREATURES==0)
    	QUICK_INFORMATION(1,"There are no more heroes left in this land. Win the scenario to transport some traps into the next realm.",ALL_PLAYERS)
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0<50000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,1)
    	ENDIF
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>=50000)
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0<60000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,2)
    	ENDIF
    	ENDIF
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>=60000)
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0<66000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,3)
    	ENDIF
    	ENDIF
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>=66000)
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0<70000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,4)
    	ENDIF
    	ENDIF
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>=70000)
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0<75000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,5)
    	ENDIF
    	ENDIF
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>=75000)
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0<80000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,6)
    	ENDIF
    	ENDIF
    	IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>=80000)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,7)
    	ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    Can be done with half the IF statements if you use the add_to_flag command:

Code:
    IF(PLAYER0,FLAG2==0)
    	IF(PLAYER_GOOD,TOTAL_CREATURES==0)
    		QUICK_INFORMATION(1,"There are no more heroes left in this land. Win the scenario to transport some traps into the next realm.",ALL_PLAYERS)
    		SET_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,1)
    		IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>50000)
    			ADD_TO_FLAG(PLAYER0,FLAG2,1)
    		ENDIF
    		IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>60000)
    		ENDIF
    		IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>66000)
    		ENDIF
    		IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>70000)
    		ENDIF
    		IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>75000)
    		ENDIF
    		IF(PLAYER0,TIMER0>80000)
    		ENDIF
    	ENDIF
    ENDIF
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 24th, 2019 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Case in point, for example this bit from your script from 10005 Can be done with half the IF statements if you use the add_to_flag command:
    That's right, levels 10005 and 10001 however didn't need much scripting that's why I was wasting IFs as if there was no limit.

I played the first one, and managed to beat it. Not on the first attempt mind you, this is a map that requires a lot of speed but since you are in the dark you will be very careful. You even have quite a bit of story to read which takes time you don't really have. The reaper came, the reaper destroyed.
    On my second attempt I knew I could just go safely to the right, dig rooms for my dungeon, mine as much gold as I could before my ally took it all and train up my bile demon, 4 warlocks and 2 demon spawn with lots of slapping an speed and what not. When the reaper came this time my ally had two creatures (the others he lost to tentacles) and my units were level 4. I was sloppy with dropping my warlocks and lost them to the reaper, but imps saved the day. They fought the reaper while on the dungeon heart from an angle where he could not hit them back, and 2 imps killed the lvl10 reaper.

My respects if you manage to take out those lvl8 dwarfs before the bonus timer runs out in your play tests, but I don't think I can manage that, so I'll go to lvl2 without the bonus gold.

Uploaded a new version with few changes below. I said to myself I won't be uploading a new version after every single note lol but I feel feedback on first level of a campaign is especially useful so the players continue playing.
    -tunneler appears when player summons his first imp or ally player builds a training room
    -did the same for 4th level, other levels already had the 'feature', or was not that necessary (we'll see)
    -dwarves are now 1 level lower and the time for gold transfer slightly increased. Still pretty difficult to get it in time, but doable, tested
    -horny health boost decreased slightly
    -added neutral spider near the gold = player has a creature with freeze now (although mine got destroyed by Dr. Goldstein before horny showed up)
    -fixed some typos throughout the campaign
    -used the proposed code for 10005, no gameplay changer
    Last edited by kix; March 25th, 2019 at 22:13.

Since you got me playing again, I first completed my demonstration map on the add_to_flag command before I moved on to the second level of your campaign.

I really like the map, you seem to have picked up the techniques I demonstrated on my maps, but you're actually creative enough to make good maps with them. I actually restarted a few times at the beginning, but that was still fun because I just screwed up and you made clever ways around that. For example I accidentally claimed the workshop with all the units so they killed me. After that the fairies at the workshop gave me (especially my imps) quite some trouble. I decided to save-scum your levels, because otherwise I'll be there forever, and I believe you design your maps around that.
    After I got past the lvl9 fairy I managed to get the ball rolling a bit and started making some good progress on the map, unfortunately most of my vampires were dead before I got to the training room and I never got a large amount of them. With the training room they were easier to keep alive, but you started attacking with larger parties as well, and I kept losing my imps when a massive hero party came, so I could not bring all those bodies to the graveyard fast enough. This kept my vampire numbers low, I think I had 8 before I noticed they kept dying on their own. I don't know if this is by design, but after I already lost a few I got the message that I would keep losing them. Perhaps you can be a bit generous here for the players who are struggling and leave us with a certain minimum.

But when I was using my 6xlvl3 + 1xlvl5 vampires to kill the lvl8 samurai in the center some huge army attacked and this time the yellow keeper was overwhelmed as well and since I was no help I died as well.
    I'll certainly try again another day from a bit older save to see if I can kill the samurai just a bit quicker to claim the graveyard there.

EDIT: I finished level 2, I really enjoyed it. One of the best - if not the best - DK map I've ever played. The difficulty here I think is spot on for experienced players, the map is polished really well, tons of secrets, nice use of hidden tunnels.
    As a small point of criticism though, I remember the bonus objective of not getting any angry vampires, and I think I succeeded, but the game tells me nothing. Not when I win and not when I start the next level. I do start out with 2 vampires, but don't know if those are my bonus vampires, or if I would have gotten more if I did get the bonus.
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 27th, 2019 at 11:15.

my demonstration map on the add_to_flag command.
    I played it today and managed to win on the first time. I started digging far to the west, discovered the level 2 warlock, built treasure room and mined the gold to the west, near dungeon heart. Barbarians started spawning but they didn't touch my lvl 2 warlock. I discovered the graveyard with lots of ghosts in there and broke into the library and claimed it. Claimed the workshop, although it took a few times but since dwarves had no heal it was just a matter of few minutes. Noticed the hero gate just west to the workshop through the sight spell so I walled the potential party in. I next headed to the north where I discovered tentacles and dragon, also got some more warlocks from somewhere, built lair next to water, lava and gold so they level up. I heard lava so I dug to the northern pool getting one more dragon. I saw samurai close to the lava pool so I dug towards there without opening path for samurais to reach me. Witch came out but was rekt by vampires. Meteor'd the samurais and giants inside and claimed the torture chamber but I never got prison so no converts(forgot to dig to it). It was just then when I first decided to sacrifice my 2 remaining imps in hope I get some more and really did. And discovered the yellow keeper. Fortified the workshop, placed one poison trap I managed to get near the northern treasury and defeatet the first monk. Then the monk to the very west and then the last one near the yellow keeper. It was fun and quite enjoyed playing it however I never managed to get to the west dungeon with gems before the yellow keeper is defeated. I understood you're just not meant to. Also my creatures at the end were getting annoyed for some reason and were deserting. That's when I decided to take on the yellow keeper.
    I checked the script and you really did use the add_to_flag to the max. I also liked the version check at the start, can I just copy it into the first map?

EDIT: I finished level 2, I really enjoyed it. I remember the bonus objective of not getting any angry vampires, and I think I succeeded, but the game tells me nothing.
    Thanks, glad you liked it. There is a message if you're unsuccesful at it, but yes the player has no way to know. Will hotfix when I upload a new version.
    Last edited by kix; March 27th, 2019 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by kix View Post
    I checked the script and you really did use the add_to_flag to the max. I also liked the version check at the start, can I just copy it into the first map?
    Yes, of course. I made this map to demonstrate some uses of the add_to_flag command, so I'm happy to see the script command used in this or other creative ways. I hope it provided you with some inspiration, even if a bit late. Now the game can count.

And there's no prison on the map, the torture room can be used to create ghosts from vampires or your other units, which can then be used to take on the yellow keeper. On strategy you did not use was using lots of high level ghosts to create lots of traps. There's not much to the east, just stuff you can use possession/cta/barracks for, most important thing is the monk.

EDIT: o, and the creatures probably get annoyed because they get disturbed in their sleep.
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 27th, 2019 at 16:52.

And there's no prison on the map.
    You're right, the only one has lava trap on it. Didn't notice back then

Oh boy a new campaign, amazing! I was highly impressed by your Dungeons and Keepers campaign and had alot of fun playing it. In fact now that im posting this, i want to thank all of you mapmakers for the awesome free content you are sharing. I played and enjoyed every map and campaign that you can find here, so thanks to all of you for the work you are putting into this and keeping this game alive for so many years!