Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quest for the Hero...

Default Quest for the Hero...

Interesting campaign that. Mainly the first level, though I expect if the first is this vexing the others will be equally so.

In short, I do not know how to win. Or even to survive. If I break out early, I die via dragons/hellhounds. I wait and train the trolls, I break out and die via vampires. Lots of vampires.

If possible, I'd like just a hint to be able to get passed the first bump - that is, surviving the breaking out process. I'll request more hints if needed, but any help is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S.: A thanks to the creator of the campaign, DzjeeAr. It's been a very long time since a Dungeon Keeper level has left me befuddled to such an extent.

Default Re: Quest for the Hero...

This campaign was supposed to use a modifided creature TXT (considering you use KeeperFX) so I guess that would be the problem. Maybe you are better off PM'ing DzjeeAr about this, but I doubt it will be of much help.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; January 21st, 2010 at 21:44.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Ghost

I noticed the same problem, you only get 3 trolls and no other creatures emerge from the portal, so you cant research anything. Your allie dies within seconds and the green keeper shortly after that.

If you open your dungeon up all the creatures on the map come to you. And with only 3 trolls you can't win that.

The campaign is part of keeper fx ccp so you would expect it works properly.

<Goes into the Trolls configuration file. Allows Trolls to research>

Significantly more doable now, methinks. Thank you, Duke.

Krizzie,

You're the one who inspired me to make this topic, actually, seeing that I wasn't alone with having difficultly.

Edit: Hrm. Nevermind. The level has 50 some odd high level heroes come straight for your dungeon...quite difficult to win when your highest level creatures are around 3-4...
    Last edited by Mister Giggles; January 22nd, 2010 at 00:53.

Imp

That explains it. Will change it later.

Wonder if my brother is still trying to win with 3 trolls. lol

Ghost

Getting the Trolls to level 10 isn't hard, just explore the map with your imps and let them dig gold. pick it up with the hand and voila, over a 100k of gold without losing. Training your Imps to level 10 is helpful too, you can kill the low level creatures with them (beetles, hounds etc.).

The yellow player is just a matter of time before his creatures die, but the white ones wont die. :|

Ofcourse I thought about changing the creatures file or the levels file, but I prefere a fix from the maker so I can play it the way it was intended to.

Imp

I've got it down to me vs the dragons, vampires and barbarians right now, might be able to pick off the barbarians with the imps after a long long time, then we'll see.

Ghost

How did you kill the level 10 hounds?

Imp

Same way as I took out the beetles, with imps, but it was very hard and took ages.

Quest for the Hero requires a modified creature.txt to work properly yes. The creatures in that campaign work extremely different from how they work in normal DK. It also uses a modified text.dat which, I believe, (haven't checked it in ages) gives custom objectives and info.

I do intensively test my maps and I can safely tell you they are all beatable, though I do admit the first map is extremely difficult, which is kind of a shame since I find the remaining levels in the campaign more entertaining, and the first map might deter people due to its difficulty.

The zip file containing that campaign contains a readme file which explains the steps on how to make backups of the creature.txt and text.dat file before overwriting them (temporarily) with the ones contained in the zip. However, this campaign was made for vanilla DK (I'm not even sure if Deeper Dungeons added changes that would mess it up), so I'm not sure if KeeperFX works differently, or wether creature.txt still overrules any changes made in the edited keeperFX. I would think (and hope) it does.

As said though, level 1 is rather difficult, requiring a certain specific way to beat. White isn't your main problem since you get more than 3 trolls if you use the modified creature.txt; it's green that's the problem. I can tell you how to beat him if you like, but without the modified creature.txt or text.dat you shouldn't play that campaign to begin with, it won't work as intended.

The yellow player is just a matter of time before his creatures die
    With the modified creature.txt, they don't die

Quote Originally Posted by Krizzie View Post
    The campaign is part of keeper fx ccp so you would expect it works properly.
    Which is odd since I do not recall having been asked permission for it or giving permission for it.
    Though maybe my memory is just shit.

*EDIT* Judging from the statement it came with KeeperFX ccp (Whatever that is?), I'm actually presuming it doesn't contain the creature.txt or text.dat files required for that campaign. Geocities went down and deleted my archive of maps, so I'll upload it on megaupload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PZAIMA8T
    Last edited by DzjeeAr; January 25th, 2010 at 15:44.