Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.7

Post KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.7

KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.7

KeeperFX 0.4.6 released April 2016. After that Mefistotelis kept working on the next version for several months, until unfortunately for us, in September that year he shifted his priorities away from working on KeeperFX. He has currently no plans to return to the project.

KeeperFX Unofficial has picked up where he left off, however without further rewriting of the original game, so there are bugs and limitations that will stay with us until somebody with the skill set of Mefistotelis decides to help. Unofficial 0.4.6 was mainly about releasing the partial work he did in a proper package, for 0.4.7 there are several people who helped out with new fixes and features. The plan is for 0.4.7 to not be the last version.

What's new in KeeperFX 0.4.7
    • Introduced a previously unused cinematic plays when you win the level with the lord in prison
    • Continue save will keep working when playing a free level
    • Introduced 'Atmospheric Sounds', to recreate the original DK Creative Sound fonts. Can be turned off in KeeperFX.cfg
    • When playing skirmish maps, instead of always the same bad computer opponent, you'll now get randomly assigned one of the better computer opponents (configurable!).
    • In possession it's no longer possible to simply dig through neutral walls
    • Imprisoned units no longer claim neutral units
    • Better visibility of units on the minimap
    • Fainted units can no longer block attacks on the dungeon hearth. They will get pushed out of the way when hit.
    • Mapmakers can now make campaigns that have the player in the role of the blue/green/yellow keepers
    • Added new sounds, some now used by the game, many others simply available for map makers to use on maps.
    • Several new script commands for map makers. They will now, among other things, be able to link multiple campaign maps together. (What happens in lvl1 comes back at lvl 20)
    • Fixed credit roll of custom campaigns
    • Fixed Meteor spell not exploding when hitting units. It will now push units around.
    • Fixed a bug that duplicated units on the map screen.
    • Several map fixes and tweaks
    • Several text and translation fixes
    • Several other fixes and changes. See the full change log here.

For what changed in KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.6, see this topic. If you already have Unofficial 0.4.6 installed and don't want to download a large file, use the patch.

Instructions

KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.7 Complete is delivered the same way the official release is provided, so installation works the same way. An original version (Disk, GOG, etc) is used to play, so after extracting the archive use the included Launcher to copy the required files over.

Installation instructions can be found on the official wiki. If you have any problems with the release, feel free to share here or list an issue on Github. There's also a troubleshooting section on the Keeperklan Discord. Note that you will be asked for the contents of the keeperfx.log file.

Music files need to be downloaded separately if you want to have the game music play without your cd in your drive.

Development on the next version is already on its way. If you have downloaded and installed the version above, and want to try out the newest changes and fixes, update this full version with an Alpha build.

The launcher application does not work well in ultra high resolution screens with DPI scaling. If you have scaling problems when using the launcher included above to configure settings, try using this updated launcher instead. It's slightly better.
    Last edited by YourMaster; June 9th, 2020 at 16:03.

Default Re: KeeperFX Unofficial 0.4.7

Nice to see this is still going and being improved. Thought I'd give some feedback.

Can't choose to pick up low/high lever creatures (very annoying and sometimes a problem).

Can't slap imps while they carry a prisoner forcing them to drop it (so possibly also while carrying some other things?).

Noticed a Mistress often attempting ranged attacks from slightly beyond her maximum range, causing no damage.

The Tooltip appears over the icons for creatures being held in the hand.

Captured a building type but it didn't become available to build.

There's were a few other things I noticed while recently playing but can't remember specifics so I guess they weren't to important or overly annoying.

Something that would be nice would be if the game supported extra levels being contained in their own folder within the "Levels" folder. It seems levels consist of various files with a number, this makes it a pain to remove an unwanted level and seems like a recipe for conflicts. Being able to put new levels in their own folder would avoid all that, or even better if one could simply place the level.zip files in there.

There's one other thing that would make a substantial difference, possibly the single largest improvement, if you could improve the framerate to 60FPS (or whatever the monitor is set to) without increasing the game speed it would be a massive improvement to the responsiveness and feel of the game. This would make the game feel worlds better, I remember using Basemod for Diablo 2 which basically did this there and the improvement is hard to describe.

Thank you for the feedback.

You can pick up units by level. See the controls.

Was it possible to slap imps carrying stuff in the original game? Would be a nice feature either way. I tried making it possible again to use level specials being carried by imps, but did not manage yet. I'll keep this in mind.

I've never noticed that for the mistress, I'll investigate. Same for the tooltip.

Room types don't become available when you capture them, not in the original game either. That needs to be scripted in specifically on a per level basis, and is not done in all cases.

I too would like levels to be able to work when zipped, especially if that enables including level specific config files, but I don't see it happening.

Frame rate will never go up unfortunately. Everything in the background is done by 'game turns', and there are 20 game turns per second, and as such, 20 frames per second. If you would triple the frame rate without increasing the turns per second(game speed) you would get 3 identical frames.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Undermountain View Post
    Noticed a Mistress often attempting ranged attacks from slightly beyond her maximum range, causing no damage.
    I've noticed that with the Samurai too. It's not common, but it does happen. I remember a Mistress and Samurai shooting Lightning (and in the Mistress's case, Drain) at each other but never hitting each other because they were both firing from just beyond their maximum range. I can't remember what version it happened on though.
    Last edited by AdamP; March 19th, 2020 at 19:50.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    I've noticed that with the Samurai too. It's not common, but it does happen. I remember a Mistress and Samurai shooting Lightning (and in the Mistress's case, Drain) at each other but never hitting each other because they were both firing from just beyond their maximum range. I can't remember what version it happened on though.
    Ive seen it many times as well and maybe even in the original dk

I just accidentally ran into what I think is the fix for this. I see the shots have some hard coded limits for when they can hit. The creature spells which create these shots have no maximum limit, so I simply edited the magic.cfg file to give these spells(instances) the correct limit. I did not see the behavior go wrong, but nevertheless I hope it will be fixed from Alpha 2054 onward. I would love to hear if this is the case or not.

(I put RangeMax = 5120 at instances 9 and 17 in magic.cfg)

Edit: I looked at the tooltip over the units in hand, and see what you mean. It has to do with higher resolutions, play in a lower resolution to avoid this. It is something to be fixed, but there are many issues with higher resolutions that I don't know how to fix and this is far from the most important one. So I've just listed it for future reference.

Edit2: I was looking into implement the slapping of imp carrying stuff, spent quite some time on it already, until I realised it was a config setting. I put 'BOUND_CRTRS' as a castability option for POWER_SLAP in magic.cfg, which fixed this issue. Will be in the next release.
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 25th, 2020 at 22:40.

Hello there,

Amazing work. Nostalgia hit me again and decided to pick up DK for the 3rd time. Had never played with KeeperFX in the past, so the new resolution is great.

I played some stages on KeeperFX Official, and was alright. Decided to try the Unofficial release since it is much more up to date, but noticed some odd behavior.

1. The cheat menu (f12) does not seem to work anymore? I'm interested in having the option to Reveal map at the end of games to make sure I havent forgotten a special.
    2. Most of the controls on the control page (https://github.com/Loobinex/keeperfx...-Game-Commands) does not seem to work. IE: Scroll Message, Snap Camera to Angle, Toggle Message, Change Menu Page In Possession.
    3. I'm hearing a bunch of random torture sounds, which is very annoying. Is this related to the "Atmospheric sounds" or to "Added new sounds, some now used by the game, many others simply available for map makers to use on maps."? In any case, any way to stop them?
    4. I have noticed during KeeperFX Official that at some point when lots of gold has been amassed in the storage room, the imps starts moving gold from one pile to another nonstop. This makes some issues when mining gems because it requires much more imps than normally (Exemple: a 3face gems which is meant to be used by 9 imps, sometimes I have 18 imps and none of them will go dig/fortify/claim because they're all busy mining gems and moving gold around the storage room. Even if they're all level 10 with teleport). Has this been fixed in Unofficial? Cant recall if it was present in Original DK.

Thanks for the work put into this! Looking forward to enjoy it more throughout the campaign.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by worldpk
    1. The cheat menu (f12) does not seem to work anymore? I'm interested in having the option to Reveal map at the end of games to make sure I havent forgotten a special.
    The cheats still work; you need to run the game with the -alex parameter.

2. Most of the controls on the control page (https://github.com/Loobinex/keeperfx...-Game-Commands) does not seem to work. IE: Scroll Message, Snap Camera to Angle, Toggle Message, Change Menu Page In Possession.
    Did you do a fresh installation?

3. I'm hearing a bunch of random torture sounds, which is very annoying. Is this related to the "Atmospheric sounds" or to "Added new sounds, some now used by the game, many others simply available for map makers to use on maps."? In any case, any way to stop them?
    The former. This can be configured in keeperfx.cfg.

4. I have noticed during KeeperFX Official that at some point when lots of gold has been amassed in the storage room, the imps starts moving gold from one pile to another nonstop. This makes some issues when mining gems because it requires much more imps than normally (Exemple: a 3face gems which is meant to be used by 9 imps, sometimes I have 18 imps and none of them will go dig/fortify/claim because they're all busy mining gems and moving gold around the storage room. Even if they're all level 10 with teleport). Has this been fixed in Unofficial? Cant recall if it was present in Original DK.
    I've never noticed that, but I've never paid much attention to those sorts of things.
    Last edited by AdamP; March 27th, 2020 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    The cheats still work; you need to run the game with the -alex parameter.

Did you do a fresh installation?

The former. This can be configured in keeperfx.cfg.

I've never noticed that, but I've never paid much attention to those sorts of things.
    I will try with -alex. I dont recall having that on in Official KeeperFX

I uninstalled everything (Both GoG DK and KeeperFX), reinstalled GoG DK, then Unofficial KeeperFX.

Perfect I will remove that.

Here's a gif I just made of it on Level 4 gems. https://gfycat.com/mellowremarkablekouprey Still happening in Unofficial, I presume there's no fix possible for this kind of behavior. Once the treasure room is nearly full, imps spends more time moving gold around/trying to fill the packs than actually mining. I have 21 lvl 10 imps on a 5 face gems (15 imps) and they're all 24/7 working and wont go fortify. I sped up the game to show how long it takes them to finally stop (pretty much once my Training costs removes enough gold for them to make new packs).

Also, later on in that same game, I decided to mine the extra gold seam right next to the lava and even cancelling the 5face gem, 21 imps took forever to mine ~20 gold seam since they spent more time moving gold around than actually mining.

Edit: For point #2, I need to precise the behavior I suppose. When trying to scroll through fight menu/objectives, it simply zooms in/out no matter if i hold shift/alt/ctrl. For "Snap Camera", just nothing happens, unless I'm misunderstanding the option. I assume if I'm pointing up east, it will move my camera back to pointing up north? Toggle message doesnt do anything at all even if I manually open a message, it doesnt close it. Change menu page in possession does nothing either when scrolling. Also while F zooms in on fights, Shift+F doesnt open battle menu
    Last edited by worldpk; March 27th, 2020 at 17:04.

1) Like Adam said, it still works and does the same way it always did, you need the -alex (easter egg in the launcher) mode enabled for cheats.

2) Yes, the command list is updated with the new functionality from the Alpha builds. So for many of those new controls, update to a recent alpha.

3) You're hearing atmospheric sounds. You can open keeperfx.cfg and disable them if you don't like them.

4) I've noticed this to, but I don't believe I touched this. I don't think they are moving gold around, but are releasing gold at different locations. Are you saying the behavior used to be different in keeperfx 0.4.6?