Thread: Some suggestions for KeeperFX

Default Some suggestions for KeeperFX

First of all, I just want to personally thank everyone that has worked on this incredible mod. You've all worked really hard at improving this classic game, and I appreciate all that you've done. But with that said, I do think there are some ways to make the game a little smoother and more balanced.

- Imps are very inconsistent when it comes to tile claiming after digging out a new room. Sometimes they'll claim every tile in the room and sometimes they won't. I think it would be preferable if they always claimed every existing tile in newly formed rooms.

- Imps are very inconsistent in regards to wall fortification. A lot of the time I'll assign some imps to fortify my walls, and they'll often do just a few and then just bugger off somewhere. Wall fortification should be a much bigger priority for imps who aren't already busy mining gold.

- I've heard that casting speed spells on torture victims speeds up the process. There is a visual effect to doing this, but unless I'm mistaken, I don't think there exists any actual gameplay effect.

- There seems to be this weird reverse mouse acceleration thing happening whenever I'm controlling a creature in first-person. The faster I swipe my mouse, the slower my turns are. This is just a very minor nitpick, however, and I realize that something like this may very well be hardcoded into the game and impossible to remove.

- My lightning strikes sometimes damage my own creatures. I don't think this is supposed to ever happen.

- Whenever I drop a creature into the treasury, they claim whatever their wage is, but doing this doesn't even reduce their anger. It would be a lot better if I could just drop creatures into the treasury without worrying about them taking my money without any benefits.

- I remember at least one occasion when I was selling off my library, I permanently lost some of my spells. I'm fairly sure that isn't supposed to ever happen.

- The World of Power trap seems a bit underpowered. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to manually adjust the power level of traps via the configuration files.

- Priestesses tend to cast Wind spells way too often. This is just annoying more than anything. I don't want to remove the spell entirely from her, as it can be very useful when you manually cast it under the right circumstances, but the AI spams it out constantly and it's irritating.

- The ending cutscene didn't trigger for me for whatever reason. This wasn't a problem for myself, as I simply just looked it up on Youtube, but some people might miss it without ever knowing about it.

- It would be great if there was a way to completely disable the mentor's voice during battles. He talks way too much, and he'll often say that my creatures are either winning or losing a battle, when in fact the opposite is happening. None of his dialogue during battles is ever helpful, and I would much prefer to turn it off entirely.

Thank you very much for your time.
    Last edited by Ajora; October 26th, 2019 at 21:47.

Default Re: Some suggestions for KeeperFX

Quote Originally Posted by Ajora View Post
    First of all, I just want to personally thank everyone that has worked on this incredible mod. You've all worked really hard at improving this classic game, and I appreciate all that you've done. But with that said, I do think there are some ways to make the game a little smoother and more balanced.

1- Imps are very inconsistent when it comes to tile claiming after digging out a new room. Sometimes they'll claim every tile in the room and sometimes they won't. I think it would be preferable if they always claimed every existing tile in newly formed rooms.

2- Imps are very inconsistent in regards to wall fortification. A lot of the time I'll assign some imps to fortify my walls, and they'll often do just a few and then just bugger off somewhere. Wall fortification should be a much bigger priority for imps who aren't already busy mining gold.

3- I've heard that casting speed spells on torture victims speeds up the process. There is a visual effect to doing this, but unless I'm mistaken, I don't think there exists any actual gameplay effect.

4- There seems to be this weird reverse mouse acceleration thing happening whenever I'm controlling a creature in first-person. The faster I swipe my mouse, the slower my turns are. This is just a very minor nitpick, however, and I realize that something like this may very well be hardcoded into the game and impossible to remove.

5- My lightning strikes sometimes damage my own creatures. I don't think this is supposed to ever happen.

6- Whenever I drop a creature into the treasury, they claim whatever their wage is, but doing this doesn't even reduce their anger. It would be a lot better if I could just drop creatures into the treasury without worrying about them taking my money without any benefits.

7- I remember at least one occasion when I was selling off my library, I permanently lost some of my spells. I'm fairly sure that isn't supposed to ever happen.

8- The World of Power trap seems a bit underpowered. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to manually adjust the power level of traps via the configuration files.

9- Priestesses tend to cast Wind spells way too often. This is just annoying more than anything. I don't want to remove the spell entirely from her, as it can be very useful when you manually cast it under the right circumstances, but the AI spams it out constantly and it's irritating.

10- The ending cutscene didn't trigger for me for whatever reason. This wasn't a problem for myself, as I simply just looked it up on Youtube, but some people might miss it without ever knowing about it.

11- It would be great if there was a way to completely disable the mentor's voice during battles. He talks way too much, and he'll often say that my creatures are either winning or losing a battle, when in fact the opposite is happening. None of his dialogue during battles is ever helpful, and I would much prefer to turn it off entirely.

Thank you very much for your time.
    1) Yes, it would be best if they did. It's not by choice that they don't do it properly.

2) This is by design, there's always some walls to fortify, and gems are there forever, so these are jobs they get fed up with after a while. And while fortifying is important, I can't really see which job should get a lower priority than it has right now. When there's rooms to dig, and path to claim naturally you want the imps to do that first. If the player highlights something and imps just ignore him to go fortify shit that wouldn't fly. So what should be ignored when there are walls to fortify? Placing traps? Picking up prisoners?

3) Casting speed in the torture room has no effect.

4) This is indeed very dumb. No idea why it's reversed like this. I'll try to look into it sometimes. EDIT: I looked into it a bit, and it seems it's because SDL (which KeeperFX uses for stuff like mouse) is just dumb this way. If you move too fast, especially out of bounds of your screen, it will just ignore values.

5) Lighting does indeed do direct damage to friendly creatures. (No area damage)

6) This too is silly. EDIT: Fixed it in KeeperFX 0.4.7U alpha 2009.

7) Yes, this is normal behavior. In fact, in KeeperFX you'll now often get to keep your spells if you have enough space in another library. In the original game you usually lost most or all your spells.

8) You can. It's shot 31 in fxdata\magic.cfg. EDIT: I now gave it a redesign in KeeperFX 0.4.7U alpha 1968

9) It's not random. They use it only when they get hurt by gas. And they shoot gas that hurts themselves if units are too close. To defeat them, use Bile Demons, Dark Mistresses or drop a single unit to trigger the gas attack before sending in the rest of the army.

10) This should not happen. Can you tell me which version of the game you are playing? Do you have a save-game from before this happened? Is there any special circumstance you might think of that could have caused this?

11) What they say is confusing, but those messages mean 'One of your units got killed' or 'one of their units got killed'. With DKsound from DKTools you can disables whatever speech or sound effect you like.
    Last edited by YourMaster; January 4th, 2020 at 09:14.

A thought about the voice feedback, one thing that's quite annoying is when you have a large workshop quickly producing items and the voice is,, constantly,, announcing something that has been manufactured. It really can be incessant.

Perhaps putting a minimum timeout or cooldown on that announcement would be a good idea, maybe something like 60 seconds, to avoid being constantly bombarded by it.

All sound messages already have a timeout. The room-too-small messages have a timeout of 25 seconds. I can look into raising that number a bit, but it's linked with functionality for Computer Players, they only increase room sizes when they get that notification. There's more that I can do here, I could even make a different counter just for the workshop, but it's too bad we don't have separate speech messages to work with about the workshop.
    I would much rather play one sound when the first creature has to leave the workshop due to lack of space, and another when your workshop is basically filled up with traps.

I'll think about it, in the meantime, a solution is to sell your trap/doors as soon as you hear the message the first time, or expand the room of course. Also, if you're on the latest alpha, you could see what happens if you enable the construction-computer assistant. I think there's a good chance he'll sell the crates for you.

EDIT: Thought about it, and went for a relatively simple solution to just give the workshop it's own timeout message and put it to 1750 gameturns, up from 500. This will be in from version 2053 onward, so keep an eye on the alpha thread.
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 18th, 2020 at 22:33.