Thread: gold edition dos box question

Question gold edition dos box question

Hi.

I'm just replaying the gold edition (GOG version) and I'm having so much fun, dungeon keeper was always my favorite computer game.

But one thing that is quite problematic, the GOG version (which is running in dos box) gets super laggy in huge battles, and also when I create a lot of imps.

Basically with more than 50-100 creatures in total it gets super laggy, and sometimes it literally grinds to a halt.

I didn't remember the game to have this problem, and my computer is like 10x more powerful than my old computer I used for this game, so this cannot be the issue, I think it has to do with the dosbox doing some hardware emulation in a super inefficient way.

So my question, is there a different way to play the game on a modern machine (windows 10) without the dosbox emulation?

Default Re: gold edition dos box question

Yes, with KeeperFX. It runs natively in Windows 10.

See here:
    https://dungeonkeeper.fandom.com/wiki/Dungeon_Keeper_FX

Download here:
    https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=137

But since you're here, does that mean you want to play the gold version, not FX and not on dosbox? Well, there's an origin version I'm not sure is much better. Or you can try a virtual machine with windows 98 installed.

ok thank you! I will try that.
    I'm finished now the gold edition campaign, so if the keeperfx version changes the AI behavior, would be good reason to play through it again.

You could, but it's not that it becomes a new game. Basically the AI does less dumb shit, so it actually manages to train up an army, so the levels where you face an enemy keeper you actually have a fight. It never hurts to play it again, but with KeeperFX there's plenty of other content as well, both the included campaigns, or the countless maps from the database.