Thread: KeeperFX Color Scheme Corrective Surgery with dgVoodoo2 and ReShade

Lightbulb KeeperFX Color Scheme Corrective Surgery with dgVoodoo2 and ReShade

Thank you Spartahawk for the continued work on KeeperFX.

I want to share a little experiment with the people here.

Since re-installing KeeperFX due to an overbearing nostalgic desire to command imps, I decided to investigate whether or not the default color scheme could do with a 2020 overhaul. I've actually been doing this with a lot of indie games, primarily focusing on games that look like they should be played on a CRT.

I'm a musician and graphics designer by trade. This is done to my personal taste, so it might not be something you agree with. You might also think that I am crazy for diving into this rabbit hole, but I have always found the original DK1 color palette very... well... yellow and green-biased.

This was more evident since loading the game on a rather large LED TV.

Here are the screenshot comparisons

https://imgur.com/a/APVWcM2

Thoughts?

If anyone is keen on trying it themselves, I may consider uploading it to my Google Drive once I'm completely satisfied with the look.

The changes were achieved using dgVoodoo2 and ReShade DXGI injection.

Default Re: KeeperFX Color Scheme Corrective Surgery with dgVoodoo2 and ReShade

Welcome.

Yes, I think the base colors of the background are not red, so that red elements stand out.

How did you make reshade work with keeperfx? voodoo2 doesn't seem to work at all with it.

Warlock

I think the Keeper Colours could do with some consistency. As in the Green Keeper can alternate between a light green and a dark Jade-ish colour between level textures.

Quote Originally Posted by devilhood View Post
    The changes were achieved using dgVoodoo2 and ReShade DXGI injection.
    DXGI doesn't hook to keeperFX 0.5.0.3081

Isn't the "original" color palette a result of screen inaccuracy?
    I can't recall a color difference between the first time(s) I played DK compared to now, or a need to change color to make it appear more warm/cold or anything else.
    From the screenshots that you shared, from a distance I like the color tone of retrohood warm (with scanlines) and from close, I don't want scanlines. So it's more like a less warm version of the retrohood warm.

For others ending here, keeperfx doesn't work with injectors of any kind, however OP might not be lying, this was back from 2020 maybe he was using a version of keeperfx that still didn't migrate to SDL2 yet.

I'm not entirely sure how it works but SDL is itself some kind of directX wrapper, but it does things using opengl too. Don't believe this and search over internet for a better explanation.

Thing is, since ddraw is not being directly used, dgvoodoo2 and other injectors doesn't work at all.

It seems there are people joking around here, making new accounts just to keep replying to OP (deprecated) post and completely ignoring my posts questioning it, making it look like it works. They keep talking about useless stuff since keeperfx cannot be used with any kind of reshade anymore (and I'm not sure it ever worked). It's ok if that is your way of having fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Original DK with dx patch, works with reshade.
    KeeperFX does not.