Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Capture game window for streaming

Thumbs up Capture game window for streaming

Hello there, I was trying to stream a game with OBS v25, but it seems the program can't capture the game window. Can be due to vidriver setted to windib?

Default Re: KeeperFX Unofficial - Alpha 2080

I have no idea, I've never streamed anything. Try directx, if that gets captured you know your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I have no idea, I've never streamed anything. Try directx, if that gets captured you know your answer.
    Ok I tried, it doesn't work. OBS can see the exe (keeperfx.exe) but it can't show the video. I see people stream DK on twitch, so there is a way to do so

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigmist View Post
    Hello there, I was trying to stream a game with OBS v25, but it seems the program can't capture the game window. Can be due to vidriver setted to windib?
    Do you use window capture or game capture method?

I use window capture in OBS and DxWND software to make keeperfx run in windowed stable 1280x960 mode. Here is the result: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...e_polymer=true

And yes:

1) I run DxWND and OBS from administrator
    2) driver = directx
    Last edited by theleo_ua; April 11th, 2020 at 18:04.

Ok I tried, it doesn't work. OBS can see the exe (keeperfx.exe) but it can't show the video. I see people stream DK on twitch, so there is a way to do so
    You need to play DK in a window (set Mixes Modes in the KeeperFX Launcher) and set OBS to capture that window of 'keeperfx.exe' (not 'Specific Window') but everything you open on top of the game is shown on stream aswell, it's a bit of a pain to capture and stream it from what I've tried since the game doesn't even do a good job to keep the cursor locked in the window, especially in Possession mode, it literally goes outside the game window.
    I don't know about fullscreen, I don't have two monitors to see if it works the same way, maybe you can try the same but on fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by theleo_ua View Post
    Do you use window capture or game capture method?

I use window capture in OBS and DxWND software to make keeperfx run in windowed stable 1280x960 mode. Here is the result: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...e_polymer=true

And yes - I run DxWND and OBS from administrator
    I finally managed to run it on OBS smooth and in FHD. I run keeperfx in windowed mode 1920x1080 with altinput flag activate otherwise I can't drag the window. OBS run in administrator and use window capture to get my game on OBS. There is only a little black bar on the bottom, I think is due to windowed mode, but it is ok.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obs.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1983

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaelyx View Post
    You need to play DK in a window (set Mixes Modes in the KeeperFX Launcher) and set OBS to capture that window of 'keeperfx.exe' (not 'Specific Window') but everything you open on top of the game is shown on stream aswell, it's a bit of a pain to capture and stream it from what I've tried since the game doesn't even do a good job to keep the cursor locked in the window, especially in Possession mode, it literally goes outside the game window.
    I don't know about fullscreen, I don't have two monitors to see if it works the same way, maybe you can try the same but on fullscreen.
    Yeah I just discovered that with altinput flag I can't play in possessed mode due to cursor leave game window, this is not so good

but everything you open on top of the game is shown on stream aswell,
    I use window capture (instead of game capture), and don't have the problem with "everything you open on top of the game is shown on stream aswell"

To avoid this problem, you need to select aero theme in windows (in aero theme your stream viewers will only see keeperfx window and will not see any top windows above it)

If you have windows 7 and prefer to use classic grey UI (like me), then use "classic aero theme patch": http://www.classicshell.net/forum/vi...hp?f=13&t=8070

it's a bit of a pain to capture and stream it from what I've tried since the game doesn't even do a good job to keep the cursor locked in the window, especially in Possession mode, it literally goes outside the game window.

easy solution: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

set fullscreen 640x480 in keeperfx launcher/configs and use DxWND to make it run in window (any preferrable resolution, which you will set in DxWND settings) without any problems you explained above. If you need my DxWND config, I can upload

And remember:

1) Run OBS from administrator
    2) Run DxWND from administrator
    Last edited by theleo_ua; April 11th, 2020 at 18:15.

I finally made it!
    No altinput (or cursor goes outside the game), windowed mode with your full screen size. At startup the window will start in the middle of the screen, go to taskbar settings check and uncheck "automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" and the window will now fit your screen, go to the game and enjoy simple streaming.

On OBS I use "capture window" -> "keeperfx.exe", automatic video and unchecked "capture cursor". So now I can alt+tab the game without any problem and put other window on top of the game.

EDIT:
    This is the game:

Name:	dk_game.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	1984

This is what you get on OBS:

Name:	obs.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1985

You get a little black bar on the bottom due to titlebar hidden in OBS, but it is really small
    Last edited by TheEnigmist; April 11th, 2020 at 18:26.

There is only a little black bar on the bottom
    You can avoid capturing black bars by ctrl+click in OBS (or alt+click - I dont remember), to exactly select what you want to capture

Also be sure, that OBS has 2 ways to capture windows:

Added a new capture method to window capture which allows capturing browsers, browser-based windows, and Microsoft Store (UWP) programs [jpark37]

By default, it will use "Automatic", which will use the normal method on most windows, and the new method on browsers, browser-based windows, and Microsoft Store (UWP) programs
    The downside of the new method is that it can cause a bit of cursor lag, as well as a highlighted border around the captured window. The border itself does not get captured, however.
    You can choose which capture method to use in window capture properties
    so if you have problems with bars, you can try to change this paramater to "old window capture method"

I dont have this problem because I use windows 7

You get a little black bar on the bottom due to titlebar hidden in OBS, but it is really small
    ok, now I got it why you have black bars - because your window has titlebar, which eat some pixels

To solve this, you can use dxwnd to hide titlebar from keeperfx window