Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WFTO by Kopavel

Default Re: WFTO by Kopavel

Quote Originally Posted by SimFirehawk View Post
    - In your older screenshots there was information about frame rate and usage of GPU memory. Is there any option to turn that on?
    Nope, this is only available in Debug build (you need another .exe)

I run on a Geforce 8400M with 1024x768 in Fullscreen mode and it worked sometimes a bit slow, so I was just wondering about the frame rate.
    I have to spend some time optimizing it. It uses ps2.0 and vs3.0 so its probably a question of fixing a couple of bottlenecks.

- you citate that there is an Ogre3D project working on that too. Could you give any link about that?
    I'm not sure If I can put a link for it here, could you PM Nebster or me via Skype?

Quote Originally Posted by Trass3r View Post
    Looks promising. Tho I always try to minimize amount of code. Unless we can extract parts of it, SFML would probably bring in 60% of unused functionality.
    Last edited by Kopavel; January 26th, 2010 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopavel View Post
    Thanks, I forgot to mention it. Actually, I have Media/ folder with all the art placed in a different location (compared to source codes) on my home PC. However, I commented the code that includes additional directories from this release, so you have to place it there, yes.
    Also, I experience huge problems switching from Release to Debug modes because of Havok - thats the reason you may experience problems compiling it as well.

If you'd really like to make modifications, I need some time to refactor the code, and mark the code that is stable and should not be modified, as well as code that is experimental (thats like 30% of code).
    Anyway, a better way to contribute would be not to modify this one, but rather work on a tool set that would allow people to create content. This tools could be a plugin for 3D editor or a middleware solution (like Ogre3D).
    I had no problem with debug mode, just needed to include the proper libs... I think Havok even has hybrid ones that will work with either mode.

I added you on Skype, and would love to give a hand. I've never used havok, lua, dx, tinyxml, etc, so I'd like to learn with a simpler task like writing up a GUI. If you can refactor just enough to give me a good place to start with that I would appreciate it.

I have some experience with using openjpeg, ogre, boost, opengl, openal, python, and a few other libs with C++. If you want to try using those I can definitely help, however I'm all for learning/using directx.

great to see the project is getting a move on

Thumbs up Re: WFTO by Kopavel

this looks very promising, keep up the good work kopavel = )

Imp

Thanks for the info. I compiled the debug version and yeah here it is my fps information

There are still some uprising questions in my mind:

1. The project looks very promising. At the moment the code base is small enough to handle it "easily", but for further development are there any thoughts about sw architectural design or something like this?

2. I've seen you spend already some work in digging into lua. Wouldn't it be nice to create the system in a way, so that the whole game logic does work from lua, so that the underlying graphical / network / sound / physics system can easily be substituted, without any big changes. The reason why I ask is, that I think about porting the graphical stuff of your work to Ogre3D, having already all the lighting, particle, material, shader and mesh handling out of the box.

Greets Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Walkerz View Post
    great to see the project is getting a move on
    Yes. At this rate, we might have something worthwhile to show when Bluto is done with his other project.

1. The project looks very promising. At the moment the code base is small enough to handle it "easily", but for further development are there any thoughts about sw architectural design or something like this?
    What do you mean by sw architectural design?

2. I've seen you spend already some work in digging into lua. Wouldn't it be nice to create the system in a way, so that the whole game logic does work from lua, so that the underlying graphical / network / sound / physics system can easily be substituted, without any big changes. The reason why I ask is, that I think about porting the graphical stuff of your work to Ogre3D, having already all the lighting, particle, material, shader and mesh handling out of the box.
    Have you ever tried it? Nebster has the same mania, of separating everything from everything. From my experience, large LUA code would trun into a complete mess really quickly.
    I even feel uncertain about that few amount of LUA code I wrote - maybe I should push more of it to C++.
    But the big point is, for a big project, you DO need a lot of middleware. Thats why, there could be a point of using Ogre3D.

I'm currently looking into Havok Animation. Seems like they have nice exporting tools from Maya / 3DSmax.

Imp

Hey Kopavel,

What do you mean by sw architectural design?
    Some kind of overview how the different stuff ist connected to the other stuff, how they relate and something like this. I studied computer science and it could be, that I am a bit "overacademized" with formal descriptions and stuff like this. But at least what my experience told me from the past, for a one man project, you do have all this stuff in your mind. But when it comes to a point, that more than one person is working on the project there is a need for "communication" in some way, what you have in your mind and what the others have etc.
    I mean that shouldn't bother you at the moment. But by reason the project looks very promising I think a lot of people are willing to help in that. So if everyone has different ideas and start to implement them, this will end up in a huge mess, therefore some kind of "design" is appreciated. I do not mean that this should be your task, I think it is a task of all people who want to be involved in programming for this project.

Have you ever tried it? Nebster has the same mania, of separating everything from everything. From my experience, large LUA code would trun into a complete mess really quickly.
    Honestly I've never tried it, but I think you can do the same in LUA what you do at the moment with c++, writing at first lowlevel functions and then build more complex functions out of these low level functions.
    So the big question is where to draw the line of writing "low level functions" in c++ and LUA. The advantage of having all this in LUA is faster development without recompiling and you do not have to care about all the datatype stuff.

Demon Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kopavel View Post
    Looks promising. Tho I always try to minimize amount of code. Unless we can extract parts of it, SFML would probably bring in 60% of unused functionality.
    SFML is very modular. If you only need the window stuff, then you may link only the system and window modules which aren't very big.