Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terrain: Chasm

Default Terrain: Chasm

More commonly known by keepers as 'one of those £#¤*@ deep holes in the ground'.
    Chasms are both incredibly deep and long but fortunately not very wide. As a result they are practically impossible to cross for anyone who can't build bridges or fly. For those people, however, a chasm is a great strategic advantage; a bottleneck that every invading army has to get through unless they'd rather want to take a week long detour on foot.

Hellhound

Default Re: Terrain: Chasm

Is it possible to knock people into the chasm, making them fall to their doom?

Checklist:
    -Makes bridges more useful.
    -Makes Lava and Water a little less useful.
    -Gives Flying units a little more use for being around, as well as the spell Flight.

Sounds good to me on the surface, but currently do not have the time to deeply analyze the idea and possible consquences it may have on DK.

Is it possible to knock people into the chasm, making them fall to their doom?
    Yes. It might seem unfair to some but since everybody can exploit the feature equally I don't thing it gives some players an unfair advantage (except, maybe the guy owning the bridge but a few imps should be able to turn that advantage around easily enough).

Makes Lava and Water a little less useful.
    Lava and water is as useful as they have always been but it could be possible to combine them with the chasm to increase their deadliness (running water and lava ending in lava/waterfalls off the edge of a chasm).

Quote Originally Posted by Edokage View Post
    Yes. It might seem unfair to some but since everybody can exploit the feature equally I don't thing it gives some players an unfair advantage (except, maybe the guy owning the bridge but a few imps should be able to turn that advantage around easily enough).
    So basically you want to turn any map with chasms into a game of who-gets-a-level-8-Warlock-first-so-he-can-be-possessed-to-use-Wind-to-kill-dozens-of-creatures-at-once?

The Awakening

So basically you want to turn any map with chasms into a game of who-gets-a-level-8-Warlock-first-so-he-can-be-possessed-to-use-Wind-to-kill-dozens-of-creatures-at-once?
    It's about being creative and outsmarting your enemy. If they know no better than to send all their creatures marching down the bridge at once then yes. Personally, if an opponent sent their entire army down a bridge owned by me I'd try to sell the damn thing when they were halfway across.
    The point is that while some tactics might be super effective in some circumstances the enemy will learn from their mistakes and try a different approach (such as building another bridge and dig themselves into your base while you are staring at an empty bridge thus eliminating your one man army's advantage).

bridges? since when was I talking about bridges?

The Awakening

bridges? since when was I talking about bridges?
    How else would you get across the chasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Edokage View Post
    How else would you get across the chasm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    a game of who gets a level 8 Warlock first so he can be possessed to use Wind to kill dozens of creatures at once

The Awakening

Yes we all know how to change font sizes, thanks for pointing that out...yet again.

Anyway the chasm is a good original idea.

You can build a bridge across Lava and sell it when creatures are walking across...besides that what is stopping a Warlock from blowing creatures into the Lava? Most creatures die very quickly in Lava.

If some Keeper is going to be sad enough to possess a Warlock (and a very obvious one) and sit by the side of chasm then good luck to them.. mean while I'll be attacking from a different angle or might just get a Mistress to bolt him or attack with a flying creature, a fear trap may also keep the Warlock at bay etc...

Edokage, I assumed you meant creatures could only be blown/knocked off whilst walking across it? Not that theres a huge difference. The chasm could prove to be a quick but deadly shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Yes we all know how to change font sizes, thanks for pointing that out...yet again.
    Well, then actually read what it's saying instead of complaining about it. I also had a motivational picture under there, but it seems to be taken off.

Anyway the chasm is a good original idea.

You can build a bridge across Lava and sell it when creatures are walking across...besides that what is stopping a Warlock from blowing creatures into the Lava? Most creatures die very quickly in Lava.
    And have a free way of killing enemy creatures? Yay, that's going to be amazingly fun. On the 'dying quickly on lava' part: First, that's DK2 only, where there's no cheap Wind spell to blow you 40 feet away into the lava. Second, at least that is not instant death. This is.

If some Keeper is going to be sad enough to possess a Warlock (and a very obvious one) and sit by the side of chasm then good luck to them.. mean while I'll be attacking from a different angle or might just get a Mistress to bolt him or attack with a flying creature, a fear trap may also keep the Warlock at bay etc...

Edokage, I assumed you meant creatures could only be blown/knocked off whilst walking across it? Not that theres a huge difference. The chasm could prove to be a quick but deadly shortcut
    Edokage mentioned chasms would be used as bottlenecks. Aka, no way around it and also the focus of a lot of battles. And I'm not stupid enough to just go stand there with a possessed warlock. I could just start a fair fight, then quickly pull away all creatures, possess a Warlock, Wind, and tada, I just killed your entire army. Where's the fun in that?

The Awakening