Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Matter of Time - Single-Player and Multi-Player Map (First Map)

Default Re: Matter of Time - Single-Player and Multi-Player Map (First Map)

You could gradually increase the creature limit as the level progresses. Simply by time, by available rooms, or by accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    You could gradually increase the creature limit as the level progresses. Simply by time, by available rooms, or by accomplishments.
    That wouldn't have the same effect. This way, losing a creature is more costly as there's no way you can catch up to the enemy until he reaches the cap of 80, and by then you have probably already engaged him in combat. It means saving your creatures from dying in combat pays off in the end. The only issue is that creatures can't grow up while the limit is reached, so they'll be stuck at 100% exp until something dies if you're at the limit at that point in time, but that's nothing gamebreaking, you're below the limit most of the time and you can always try to clear another room.

Uploaded an optimization update where I further reduced the amount of 'things' on the map, such as reducing the drip effect in the water area and removing unnecessary torches. Should be enough to ensure you never hit the limit, unless you fill out the map with training room or something crazy. I think the map is pretty polished and done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Argonil View Post
    I think the map is pretty polished and done now.
    I should know better than to say such a thing... projects are never truly done!
    I'm almost finished with a major update to the map. There's just a few kinks that I want to straighten out. First of all, I've set the gold digging behaviors for the AI, allowing it to get going sooner:

Code:
    IF(PLAYER1,GAME_TURN > 30000)
    ROOM_AVAILABLE(		PLAYER1,	BRIDGE,		1,			1)
    SET_COMPUTER_PROCESS(​	PLAYER1,​"DIG TO CLOSE GOLD",10,0,5000,1,84)
    SET_COMPUTER_PROCESS(​	PLAYER1,​"DIG TO GOLD",5,0,​5000,1,84)
    SET_COMPUTER_PROCESS(​	PLAYER1,​"DIG TO GREEDY GOLD",0,0,5000,1,84)
    SET_COMPUTER_PROCESS(​	PLAYER1,​"DIG TO GREEDY GOLD2",-5,0,5000,1,84)
    ENDIF
    I tried a lot of different Priorities without really knowing what I was doing, and these settings turned out to work the best. But the AI still stops digging for gold if it gets rich, it seems. How do I make it keep going? I presume I'd have to set "CHECK MONEY" with SET_COMPUTER_CHECKS(), but how do the data parameters work?

Second, I wanted to remove the "dry ice" effects in the graveyards to reduce the amount of 'things' on the map, but the smoke effects come right back once your imps claim the room. Is there a way to permanently remove them? Are there other good ways to reduce the amount of objects on the map without reducing the creature cap? So far I've removed portal smoke, some workshop objects and other misc. stuff.

I also can't find the file that lets KeeperFX know which maps are multi-player maps. Where do I add my multi-player version to the multi-player map list?

Cheers to anyone who can answer my questions. YourMaster.
    Last edited by Argonil; July 15th, 2020 at 22:57.

I, uh, still need help. Maybe I should've posted this in the mapmaking forum as a beta before posting it here, sorry. It's almost out of beta though, I've fixed a lot of issues in the update I'm waiting to upload.

I just forgot to answer you. The checks/events are difficult to work with, can't say I fully get them myself. But, look in keepcompp.cfg and you'll find a bit of documentation.
    Code:
    [check1]
    Name = CHECK MONEY
    Mnemonic = Money1
    Values = 0 100
    ; Function which reacts for player having low money, by increasing priority of gold digging,
    ; and creating processes of selling traps and doors, moving creatures with expensive jobs to lair
    ; and moving unowned gold to treasury
    Functions = check_for_money
    ; Low gold and critical gold value; if after next payday, the planned amount of gold left is low,
    ; then actions are taken to get more gold; if remainig value is lower than critical, aggressive actions are taken
    Params = 500 -1000 0
    Removing the dry ice doesn't really work no, but the most important contributors of things are fighting units and rooms. Make sure there aren't too many rooms in the level and you should be fine. When you have 4 keepers with filled treasure rooms, lots of chickens, and countless workshops filled with traps, yeah, you'll hit the thing limit.

Multiplayer levels can be defined by making them a .lof file. See for example levels\map00055.lof, open with notepad and everything will make sense.

I just forgot to answer you. The checks/events are difficult to work with, can't say I fully get them myself. But, look in keepcompp.cfg and you'll find a bit of documentation.

Code:
    [check1]
    Name = CHECK MONEY
    Mnemonic = Money1
    Values = 0 100
    ; Function which reacts for player having low money, by increasing priority of gold digging,
    ; and creating processes of selling traps and doors, moving creatures with expensive jobs to lair
    ; and moving unowned gold to treasury
    Functions = check_for_money
    ; Low gold and critical gold value; if after next payday, the planned amount of gold left is low,
    ; then actions are taken to get more gold; if remainig value is lower than critical, aggressive actions are taken
    Params = 500 -1000 0
    Removing the dry ice doesn't really work no, but the most important contributors of things are fighting units and rooms. Make sure there aren't too many rooms in the level and you should be fine. When you have 4 keepers with filled treasure rooms, lots of chickens, and countless workshops filled with traps, yeah, you'll hit the thing limit.

Multiplayer levels can be defined by making them a .lof file. See for example levels\map00055.lof, open with notepad and everything will make sense.
    I tried fiddling with CHECK MONEY, but it didn't really work out. Then I got a much better idea:

Code:
    IF(PLAYER1,MONEY > 40000)
    NEXT_COMMAND_REUSABLE
    ADD_GOLD_TO_PLAYER(PLAYER1,-10000)
    ENDIF
    This will keep the AI strapped enough for gold to keep digging, and it makes sure that the AI never takes up a ton of thing slots by hoarding gold. Or so I thought. Unfortunately I hadn't realised that since it only adds off-map gold, it can only remove starting gold and the gold you get from selling rooms, doors and traps. It can't remove gold that's in the treasury. So, if it's possible, I'd like to request a parameter that toggles whether it uses the gold in the treasury or not. It's fine if you can only get it to work for detracting gold (e.g. by triggering a training cost or the payday mechanic or something), being able to clean up gold in treasuries is the important part.
    Last edited by Argonil; July 16th, 2020 at 05:55. Reason: derp

I'll put it on the list.

I'll put it on the list.
    Thank you. For the meantime, I've uploaded the new version. It has important fixes and plays much better:

• Rebalanced several rooms with new creatures.
    • Reduced the player creature cap to 70, which seems to be a sweet spot for this map.
    • Reduced the amount of thing slots in use. (Although the cap can still be reached during combat if a player hoards gold)
    • The inner rooms of the hero dungeon now have walls that are 2 blocks thick to offer better protection against break-ins.
    • Gave the enemy AI a pre-built Temple so that it doesn't construct one with weird shapes that creatures get stuck and starve to death in.
    • The enemy AI should now progress through the hero dungeon every time, and it will start earlier than before.
    • The multi-player version is now recognized by KeeperFX as a multi-player map.
    Last edited by Argonil; July 17th, 2020 at 07:18.

Spider

Probably obvious, but in case it isn't, for playtesting I use the KFX reveal map script, so I can watch how the AI is behaving

LEVEL_VERSION(1)

REVEAL_MAP_RECT(PLAYER0,127,127,254,254)

dayo
    Last edited by dayokay; July 17th, 2020 at 18:46.