Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KeeperFX 0.4.8 Release Candidate

Default Re: KeeperFX 0.4.8 Release Candidate

Why are you trying it in a WinXP virtual machine?

Do you have directx installed on it? If not, try that.

Hi! Sorry for asking for help again, but I have an issue that's driving me mad.
    Pretty much every time I'm interacting with the Heal spell, the game crashes. By interacting i mean selecting the spell, using it on a creature or even deselecting it with the right mouse button. Each one of this actions has some chance to make the game crash. The only exception is by using the heal spell on the small icons of my creatures in the battle tab, i can spam it without any accident. This is making it almost impossible to heal tortured creatures or such. How can I fix it?
    Thanks in advance!

(log below if needed)

Code:
    Dungeon Keeper FX ver 0.4.7.2153 RC1 (standard release)
    LOG CREATED  @ 23:12:57  27-08-2020

Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 256x256
    Sync: CPU GenuineIntel type 0 family 6 model 14 stepping 1 features bfebfbff
    Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
    Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.
    Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode 3440x1440x32 setup succeeded
    Sync: Moon phase -0.5131
    LbDataFree: freeing "*PALETTE"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "*SCRATCH"...done
    Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 128x128
    Sync: GraphicsHeap Size 8388608
    Sync: SoundHeap Size 8388608
    Sync: init_sound_heap_two_banks: Got sound buffer of 8351456 bytes, samples in banks: 1035,126
    Sync: Pentium Pro polygon rendering on
    Sync: setup_game: Speech recognition disabled: KeeperSpeech module not found
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/pointer64.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "data/pointer64.tab"...done
    Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 1376x1376
    Sync: get_startup_menu_state: Standard startup state selected
    Sync: Frontend state change from 0 into 1
    Sync: Created menu ID 18 at slot 0, pos (760,0) size (1920,1440)
    Sync: Frontend state change from 1 into 2
    Sync: Created menu ID 19 at slot 0, pos (760,0) size (1920,1440)
    Sync: Frontend state change from 2 into 10
    Sync: Frontend state change from 10 into 0
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft1.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft1.tab"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft2.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft2.tab"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft3.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft3.tab"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft4.dat"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "ldata/frontft4.tab"...done
    LbDataFree: freeing "*FE_BACKUP_PAL"...done
    Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 1376x1376
    Sync: GraphicsHeap Size 8388608
    Sync: reenter_video_mode: Switched video to 3440x1440x32 (mode 28)
    Sync: Created menu ID 1 at slot 0, pos (0,0) size (499,1425)
    Sync: Created menu ID 3 at slot 1, pos (0,0) size (499,1425)
    Warning: creature_setup_adjacent_move_for_job_within_room_f: process_temple_visuals: No position to move creature SORCEROR index 1593 in TEMPLE room
    Warning: attempt_job_move_to_event_for_player: Could not reach event to perform job FIGHT by creature DARK_MISTRESS index 1721 owner 0
    Warning: creature_setup_adjacent_move_for_job_within_room_f: process_temple_visuals: No position to move creature SORCEROR index 1263 in TEMPLE room
    Warning: creature_setup_adjacent_move_for_job_within_room_f: process_temple_visuals: No position to move creature SORCEROR index 1263 in TEMPLE room
    Warning: creature_setup_adjacent_move_for_job_within_room_f: process_temple_visuals: No position to move creature SORCEROR index 1098 in TEMPLE room
    Warning: creature_setup_adjacent_move_for_job_within_room_f: barracking: No position to move creature ORC index 1352 in BARRACKS room

I see nothing of interest in your log, and have never heard of this issue before. This is a log file of where your game crashed after you cast heal?
    It goes without saying, the heal spell works for me.
    Could you try to run the game in windowed mode, in say, 1920x1080w32 resolution, and tell me if you can cast heal like that?

Also, did you make changes to the configs of your games? Are you sure you installed the full package?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I see nothing of interest in your log, and have never heard of this issue before. This is a log file of where your game crashed after you cast heal?
    It goes without saying, the heal spell works for me.
    Could you try to run the game in windowed mode, in say, 1920x1080w32 resolution, and tell me if you can cast heal like that?

Also, did you make changes to the configs of your games? Are you sure you installed the full package?
    I did some tests and it doesn't like my native resolution. I ran the game both at windowed and fullscreen 1920x1080w32 and it works without any problems, the moment I switch to 3440x1440 it can crash again when using heal.

I think I made some changes at the resolution inside the config file when I installed KeeperFX some days ago, but it was another version. I'll copy-paste it below.
    As for the package... I think I did everything correctly? After this thread I downloaded this version and installed it using the same GOG files. It automatically copied the savegames too, so I didn't do anything else.

(Also this is a very minor issue, but I cannot get the music working even with Music without CD option checked.)

Code:
    ; Path to the DK files. Usually leaving it as "./" will work.
    INSTALL_PATH=./

; Language definition; sets options for displaying texts.
    LANGUAGE=ITA

; File format in which screenshots are written; BMP or HSI.
    SCREENSHOT=BMP

; Three frontend resolutions: failsafe, movies and menu resolution.
    ; Original DK resolutions were FRONTEND_RES=320x200x8 320x200x8 640x480x8
    FRONTEND_RES=3440x1440x32 3440x1440x32 3440x1440x32

; List of in-game resolutions. ALT+R will switch between them.
    ; Original DK resolutions were INGAME_RES=320x200x8 640x400x8
    INGAME_RES=3440x1440x32 1920x1080x32

; Mouse pointer movement speed; 100 percent means normal OS speed
    POINTER_SENSITIVITY=100

; Censorship - originally was ON only if language is german.
    CENSORSHIP=OFF

; Play random background noices, emulates the original AWE Sound Fonts
    ATMOSPHERIC_SOUNDS=ON
    ATMOS_VOLUME=LOW
    ATMOS_FREQUENCY=LOW
    ATMOS_SAMPLES=1014 1034 1013

; Doubles the width and height of the cinematics.
    RESIZE_MOVIES=ON

; The amount of Music tracks the game can support. Max 50.
    MUSIC_TRACKS=7

Did you put in the music into the music folder? See: https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=112

And that would be quite difficult to test and fix for me, I don't have a device with such a resolution.

Normally it doesn't copy save files though, so to be sure everything is right, you could install the full release: https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=142
    And install it in a completely new location, and see if it crashes with heal too with your native resolution.

Edit: I already got somebody on the Discord to test it on your resolution too, and it's an issue with the game, not with your configuration. Is this the first version of KeeperFX you use, or did you have an other version without this issue before?
    Last edited by YourMaster; August 28th, 2020 at 19:04.

Did you put in the music into the music folder? See: https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=112

And that would be quite difficult to test and fix for me, I don't have a device with such a resolution.

Normally it doesn't copy save files though, so to be sure everything is right, you could install the full release: https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=142
    And install it in a completely new location, and see if it crashes with heal too with your native resolution.

Edit: I already got somebody on the Discord to test it on your resolution too, and it's an issue with the game, not with your configuration. Is this the first version of KeeperFX you use, or did you have an other version without this issue before?
    I tried anyway to install again in a different folder (and it did not import the saves, I had to copy paste them manually in the corresponding folder) and it still crashes.

Before this, I used another version (FX_Unofficial-0_4_7_2150_alpha_patch_from_1913) and it did crash way less but in many different ways like using spells, going into/out of possession, slapping, etc. This version I'm using now is a bit more stable but it pretty much always crashes when using heal on certain resolution. I don't know how many of those are "safe", but for now I'll just switch to your suggested 1920x1080 temporarly if I need to heal.

Always playing in the same resolution is not an option for you?

But weird, I've got no idea why.

Always playing in the same resolution is not an option for you?

But weird, I've got no idea why.
    A different resolution would mean a stretched image and it's a big no for me. And unfortunately a lower resolution with the same 21:9 ratio (like 2560x1080) gives the same issues.
    Playing with a lower resolution with black bars might be nice, but at this point it could be easier to just switch when I really need to use that spell off-battle.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for all the effort you did put into helping me multiple times!

ok, that's interesting. Could you please check if there's a really small resolution, one that fits within 1920x1080, with the same aspect ratio, that still crashes for you?

And you could play in windowed mode in a 'regular' aspect ratio but with a height of 1440 to not get your screen stretched.

EDIT: For me, playing in 1920x810x32 it does not crash when I cast heal.
    Last edited by YourMaster; August 29th, 2020 at 12:17.

ok, that's interesting. Could you please check if there's a really small resolution, one that fits within 1920x1080, with the same aspect ratio, that still crashes for you?

And you could play in windowed mode in a 'regular' aspect ratio but with a height of 1440 to not get your screen stretched.
    I tried 1366x768 and 800x450 (switching to the second one seems to automatically put the game in windowed mode), in both cases the game did NOT crash.
    I also tried a higher 16:9 res (2560x1440) and it DID crash.