Thread: Weird bug: opponent keeper has level 10 creature when he shouldn't

Unhappy Weird bug: opponent keeper has level 10 creature when he shouldn't

I am trying to play through DK2 after many many years again and I am stuck in Level 11 (Carnage). I am playing the hardest variant C and pretty much following a Youtube video to beat the level. Everything seems fine when I attack the yellow keeper but then a level 10 fire salamander shows up that is unbeatable with the 5 creatures I have at the time. I also noticed the opponent keeper has level 5 imps. According to various write ups and videos the keeper should have none of these. What is going on here? Has anyone ever seen something like this?

I am playing the GOG version + GIM. I can post a video of the problem if you are interested to see it.
    Last edited by mephist0pheles; October 9th, 2020 at 20:41.

Angry Re: Weird bug: opponent keeper has level 10 creature when he shouldn't

Gotta love it when someone posts a problem and a few minutes later the solution to it.

So turns out this change is part of GIM. Apparently it changed the level 11C kwd file and made it impossible to win. It gives the yellow keeper high level imps that start digging through gold and free a hidden level 10 fire salamander within the first 2 minutes of the game.

Original Level 11C:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	level11C - supposed to be.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	2076

Modified Level 11C (part of patch 1.73):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	level11C - modified.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	2077

Someone really wanted me to suffer all day
    Last edited by mephist0pheles; October 9th, 2020 at 20:41.

Default Re: Weird bug: opponent keeper has level 10 creature when he shouldn't

Somewhat of a strange change given that the Yellow Keeper is supposed to die early on in all versions of level 11.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Somewhat of a strange change given that the Yellow Keeper is supposed to die early on in all versions of level 11.
    So apparently I got my streams crossed and the changed level 11 kwd is part of GIM not patch 1.73 as I initially thought. You are right though, why would anyone make such a drastic change? I am not a bad DKII player and the modified level is unbeatable in my book. Is GIM still maintained? Should I let the creator know?

GIM is not really maintained no. You can use GIM without the modified levels though, and still get the fixes. You do need these patched levels then to be able to attract all units.

Thanks for providing these!

It's just so weird. Why would anyone patch and repair the game, then casually drop change that makes a level unbeatable. I seriously doubted myself and thought it must be a bug.

GIM has balance changes to the levels. I can't comment on whether or not this level is still beatable, but I think it is.