Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Russian speech files in 0.4.8

Imp

Default New Russian speech files in 0.4.8

I'm sorry, but why was the Russian voice acting changed in version 0.4.8? In version 0.4.7, there was a voice-over from Fargus ( a popular game localizer in 95-05 in Russia). This new voice-over from some incomprehensible unknow office. Please return the previous voice acting or leave both so that we can choose.

Default Re: KeeperFX 0.4.8

I don't speak Russian myself, but there's some Russian people in the Keeperklan discord that say the official voice acting has horrible translations that don't make any sense. And that the set that replaced it is an improvement. I had a long alpha period for people to try the new Russian voices, and nobody complained. However, if you say stuff is wrong with the new voices, I'd love to hear it.
    Also, if you just prefer the old voice as a personal preference, it's possible to take the russian speech file from an older version.

EDIT:
    Find the original speeches here: https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=144
    Last edited by YourMaster; January 24th, 2021 at 14:45.

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Also, if you just prefer the old voice as a personal preference, it's possible to take the russian speech file from an older version.
    That's exactly what I did.

The fact is that the largest publisher and translator games was Fargus in Russia. Therefore, basically everyone played in the Fargus translations of games in Russia. Yes, there are inaccuracies in the voice acting, but everyone listened to this voice acting about ~ 23 years ago.

So, in short, what you're saying is that Fargus is really bad and the current one is correct, but people would like to play with the incorrect stuff for nostalgia reasons? Or is there more?

Imp

So, in short, what you're saying is that Fargus is really bad and the current one is correct, but people would like to play with the incorrect stuff for nostalgia reasons? Or is there more?
    I would not say that he is very terrible, he is quite normal. In general, yes, because of nostalgia, many will be pleased to have a host with the voice acting that they heard in their childhood.

I was told the original translations were often basically nonsense, where stuff like a 'scavenger room' is called 'garbage' and stuff. And the phrase 'The lord of the land approaches' is translated as 'I've got chewing gum stuck to my shoe'.
    That being said, I've got no skin in the game and will never use the Russian translations myself. Of course I can make whichever one we end up not using available for download, but in reality most people use whatever I set as a default.

Is there some Russian DK fan site or something where you can hold a poll or something. I got one person providing these sounds and telling me they are better, one Russian keeperklan member telling me they are indeed better than before and now you are telling me you prefer the original. That's not a lot to go by either way. If say you can find say 10 or 20 Russians to compare and vote for either option, that would provide at least some direction on which sound file should be the default for Russian.

Talking Re: KeeperFX 0.4.8

If all creatures could kindly dispose of their gum in the appropriate Scavenger Room, sorry I mean garbage... xD
    I'd love to hear more of these. Nice job, Fargus! Niet!

Imp

What? This is some kind of nonsense. What kind of gum? What garbage? Someone either joked or confused something. You have replaced the standard translation with some kind of no-name translation.

I've managed to get some more feedback from Russians on the current translation. And they also mentioned that even though the new translation is not perfect, it is nowhere near as bad as the old translation. I'll set up some easy download for people who like to play with the bad translation for nostalgia's sake.

How would you say Fargus translated the speech messages "Your scavenger room is too small" or "Beware, the lord of the land approaches!" into Russian?

Imp

I've managed to get some more feedback from Russians on the current translation. And they also mentioned that even though the new translation is not perfect, it is nowhere near as bad as the old translation.
    ok
    There was a vote, and all seven versions of russifications and download links. In my opinion, deserve attention only Fargus and Uncle Risёch.

As I understand, now, KeeperFX using voice acting from Uncle Risёch.

How would you say Fargus translated the speech messages "Your scavenger room is too small" or "Beware, the lord of the land approaches!" into Russian?
    Fargus:
    Beware, the lord of the land approaches! - Beware, the land ruler is approaching!
    Your scavenger room is too small - There is not enough space for garbage. In defense, in the game I've never heard this remark. Obviously the voice actor didn't play up to the level where this room appears. Since the time frame for localization of games in those years was very short.

Uncle Risёch
    Beware, the lord of the land approaches! - Beware, the landlord is approaching!
    Your scavenger room is too small - you need to expand the room

I'll set up some easy download for people who like to play with the bad translation for nostalgia's sake.
    This is not a bad translation! But thanks for that too.
    Last edited by AstraL; November 13th, 2020 at 14:02.