Thread: Natural Selection (Insects Only)

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Natural Selection (Insects Only)

I was bored as hell reading about Natural Selection in Biology as I was doing a Lab right before I took my test today and one of the things I saw to show an example was Flies. Flies being immune to poison wouldn't die when exposed to it, and thus would produce more Flies and spread their immunity through their genes.

-------------

This little feature could make insects, besides the Spider, more useful later on. Beetle I don't find terribly much use for, and Fly is useful only early on unless you want a quick Destroy Walls Spell.

--------------

How this works is this:

Randomly an insect creature is generated from the portal. There is a chance, depending on the creature, that one will pop up with a random immunity. These immunities could be possibly immune to gas, immune to freeze, immune to chicken spell, that kinda thing.

If you have, say a Fly, that is immune to Freeze, it will heighten the chances that another Fly will enter your Dungeon with the same immunity. Say one comes in with an immunity to Chicken while you have one immune to Freeze, both spells have a higher chance of getting immune Flies to both. In fact, it is even possible to get one that is immune to both Freeze and Chicken, so now you have a Fly that is immune to Freeze, one who is immune to Chicken, and one that is immune to both... the chances of one to appear with both is quite increased, and the overall chances of a creature having any immunity (Within the two) is now extemely likely.

Spiders have the lowest chance to get an immunity, possibly 20% due to their inablility to change things such as their Fly Diet.

Beetles are extemely adaptable so they have a 65% chance to get an immunity.

Flies are in the middle, with a 40% chance to obtain an immunity.

The Immunities Are:
    Freeze
    Disease
    Slow
    Chicken
    Gas
    Turncoat
    Lava (Resistance, cuts damage in half)

These values may seem extemely high, but don't forget that the fact is, you probably won't be getting many insects to begin with. Unless you're trying to "farm" you most likely won't be getting more than a single immunity for each species. 2 if you're lucky, but they probably will be sepperated. To top it off, these aren't especially powerful. There are alot of dangerous spells for the careless keeper to lose their insects to. This is merely a bonus, the effects are long term.

I'm open to suggestions, as long as you aren't trying to pick out the worst possible scenario, aka the RAREST possible scenario, to get rid of this idea just because you personally don't like it, I'd like a good reason.

By the way, this, in the editor, will be one of those checkable things with an input value just so in case you wanted to, you could add it to maybe Horned Reapers.
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; January 28th, 2010 at 02:53.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Default Re: Natural Selection (Insects Only)

There is a big flaw, why wasting mana/gold on something that can be killed very easy with brute force?
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; January 28th, 2010 at 15:48.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

I quite like the idea of having these mutations. It could add some more wonder to the game and variety. One time you play a map you might get a lot of poisen immunte creatures, another time lava resistance. But like what Duke said it might not be worth while (if it's just for invertebrates).

They could be applied to every creature (or most of them) without any overpowering effect as long as the chance is kept really low. (Like 1% to start with). None of the immunities listed seem to be game breaking in anyway. But it may be worth while to change them from complete immunities to lesser effects. Just like the Lava resistance listed. So a creature with the Gas mutation would take less damage from Gas rather then being completely immune.

Would this be affected by blood type?
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    There is a big flaw, why wasting mana/gold on something that can be killed very easy with brute force?
    It doesn't cost gold or mana to undergo such mutations. And the cost of the insect isn't much. Spiders I see the most useful for this, Flies too when exploring and going to enemey land. Beetles not as much, though I had my own idea on how to make the Beetle more useful in DK1 (Make him regain his health fastest and give him Protect at level 3)

Quote Originally Posted by A New Room View Post
    Would this be affected by blood type?
    Blood Type is generated randomly I'm sure, so I don't think this would put much of an effect on Blood Type.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    It doesn't cost gold or mana to undergo such mutations. And the cost of the insect isn't much. Spiders I see the most useful for this, Flies too when exploring and going to enemey land. Beetles not as much, though I had my own idea on how to make the Beetle more useful in DK1 (Make him regain his health fastest and give him Protect at level 3)
    I was actually referring from the opponents view. But yea, I guess Spiders and Flies gain the most out of it, and Beetles only moderate.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    I was actually referring from the opponents view. But yea, I guess Spiders and Flies gain the most out of it, and Beetles only moderate.
    That's why I gave Beetles the highest possible chance.

Tesonu is napping!