Thread: DK2 soundtrack release on CD and vinyl?

Default DK2 soundtrack release on CD and vinyl?

Hi everyone,

As per my introduction, I'm Mark Knight and I wrote the soundtrack to DK2 which some love, and some hate.

Anyway, I still have the CD quality masters of the OST and I'm looking in to doing a proper album release of all the tracks. As you know, which I only found out quite recently, the 3rd track, which I consider the best, never made it in to the game. I have no idea why as no-one mentioned it to me...

Anyway, since the game's audio isn't full quality, and all the uploads to YouTube will have been from mp3's I used to host on my Gamesounds website, I think it's about time I got the original recordings professionally mastered and duplicated on to both CD and vinyl.

It's not going to be the cheapest process, but I just wanted to see if there was any interest from the fanbase in something like this?

Cheers for now,

Mark.

PS. The plan is to release digitally anyway, but it's the CD/vinyl idea I'm not so sure about because of the costs involved in producing them.
    Last edited by TDK; November 12th, 2020 at 22:41.

Troll

Default Re: DK2 soundtrack release on CD and vinyl?

I'm very interested in hearing this cut music track. Assuming it's not already on the game disc, and merely unused?

I'd definitely buy a DK2 soundtrack CD. An entire new long lost track sounds fascinating

Cool - thanks peeps. Yeah, it seems ingame 02 wasn't on the disc

Hello Mark!

I only had wind of this now by pure chance and I wanted to write in case you're still gauging people's interest for this.
    I would love to buy a proper digital release of these tracks and discover this new one from you. Personally I don't think I will ever buy a physical CD or vinyl again though.

Does this mean you would also release it on services like Deezer/Spotify/etc?

I hope you're not discouraged by the lack of responses here. I always loved your tracks on DK2 and I think it is responsible in large part for my enjoyment and continued nostalgia with the game :). It just seems so unlikely people will stumble upon this here.
    Have you considered writing on Reddit about it (https://www.reddit.com/r/dungeonkeeper/), perhaps? I imagine a lot of people will instinctively check there for their Dungeon Keeper research. I remember running into you on the War for the Overworld forums, I think. The fans are spread thin.

I can't wait! :)

Hey - thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, it I think it would be a digital release as well, BUT that would be secondary as artists simply make pretty much no money from Spotify etc... so a physical release would pay for the time to remaster everything and get it sounding nice. I hope that makes sense.

I'll check out reddit - thanks for the tip!

m

To everyone: Would it be possible to mod the missing music track into the game? In the editor you can select levels to play it but the files themselves are missing. Perhaps it already works out of the box if the music files are placed in the directory. But perhaps also some messing with the game files/code would be required? I hope some Keeper rises up to the challenge as the game is simply incomplete without it and it is time to complete it!

This also explains why so many levels use track 1 and only a few use track 3, it seems many of the levels who supposed to be track 2 were switched to track 1 instead.

For anyone who doesn't know how the missing track sounds, you can listen to it on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhTl9baBNc
    Starts at 25:14

Quote Originally Posted by TDK View Post
    Hey - thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, it I think it would be a digital release as well, BUT that would be secondary as artists simply make pretty much no money from Spotify etc... so a physical release would pay for the time to remaster everything and get it sounding nice. I hope that makes sense.

I'll check out reddit - thanks for the tip!

m
    Hey Mark, I am also a big fan of your work and I am also interested in seeing an official release of the DK2 soundtrack! I always wondered what happened to the ingame02 track as I noticed many years ago that it was missing from the game.

Maybe you can even help us to mod the missing track in to the game itself? Would it be possible for you to provide us with the ingame02 track split up into the pieces how they are used in the game, and also in the proper file format? Ingame it uses 4 different .sdt files per track, for example from Track_1_1HD.sdt to Track_1_4HD.sdt. These tracks also have several short pauses in between, probably used to fade in/out at certain points when the game action escalates. The sdt files just seems to be renamed mp3 files though (as you can just rename the files in the game folder from sdt to mp3 and it plays just fine in any music player), so even if you only have them in mp3 providing them could be useful.
    Last edited by freezy; April 7th, 2021 at 00:11.