Thread: Community Speedrun #1 - Desperation

Default Community Speedrun #1 - Desperation

Hello everyone and welcome to what will hopefully be a fortnightly series of speedruns (for the time being). The aim of this series is to highlight some of the more memorable custom maps out there and ones which are fun to speedrun and pit yourselves against other players within the community. At the end of the fortnight the submissions from the community will be collected and the players participating ranked against each other to see who achieved the best time!

This is all very much subject to change and I would love to hear feedback on what else could be added/changed etc. For example, if people are really interested in this we could assign 'points' to the different times achieved, and have a running leaderboard over the course of many levels and months! But for right now, the rankings will be on a per-level basis.

For 'proof' of the run:
    • The best option would be video proof. My intent is to edit all the videos together to have a fun way of comparing the various submissions. Being able to upload the video on the web somewhere that it could be downloaded is likely the best option but if you don't want that but have a video that wants to be shared I have a Dropbox that it can be sent to.

• A screenshot of the results screen. This displays the 'time taken' to complete the level in seconds, which is sufficient for this Note this timer only works if there is no save/loading during the level. Either post to this thread or the discord

• Reply to the thread/discord as this is just a fun thing to do, perhaps a short explanation of how you completed the level would be good.

So, without further ado the first custom map to speedrun is:

Desperation by Yourmaster

A desperate struggle awaits. You are surrounded by three powerful keepers and it does not look like they will give you a chance to catch up.
    Download this map here
    Or download (the majority of) the custom maps here
    Your objective: Defeat the 3 other keepers.

This is a relatively short level which has a decent challenge to it. I think it seems likely that there are a variety of valid strategies for this level which is why I think it is a good start to this series!

On my first attempt of a 'fast run' I got a time of 15 min 32 sec - but I'm sure we can be able to get this under 10 minutes.
    You have two weeks! Please submit runs by Friday 11th December

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	400.1 KB 
ID:	2100
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Treebeard; November 27th, 2020 at 02:01.

Troll

Default Re: Community Speedrun #1 - Desperation

Is this going by the time the level is officially won, or the time the space bar is pressed? My timer shows the latter at the end screen.

Edit: If this is recording real time, there ought to be a framerate requirement, because with higher framerates, you can finish the level more quickly.
    Last edited by AdamP; November 27th, 2020 at 19:35.

Hey folks, the Christmas period has been fairly busy and I've been putting this off to the side. I would like to make this into a series at some point but for right now it's maybe best to mothball it for now unfortunately. In the future I think it would be really cool to do some speedruns or challenges involving the various custom maps of DK1.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
    Hey folks, the Christmas period has been fairly busy and I've been putting this off to the side. I would like to make this into a series at some point but for right now it's maybe best to mothball it for now unfortunately. In the future I think it would be really cool to do some speedruns or challenges involving the various custom maps of DK1.
    I think the latest alpha has my timer in it, if that's any help.