Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burroughs

Post Burroughs

New map is made by me, is named Burroughs.

Download:
    Burroughs.zip

Image:

About:
    After reading several books by Edgar Rice Burroughs this year, but not Tarzan of the apes; I noticed that mister Burroughs used the same formula in every book. So without reading his books on Tarzan of the apes, mister Burroughs invented that guy, I could predict how the story would go.
    Not said that this formula is so wonderful, I would read other books by other authors that where less predictable, but I thought it to be interesting to make a Dungeon Keeper map using this formula.
    Off course, you can find many other features in this map like:
    • A well designed computer opponent.
    • Stable map, unless you go to build many workshops.
    • Enough gold, if you are willing to fight for it.
    • The Hero's labyrinth has about 5 boulders, so be careful.

How to install:
    The map files are named MAP00001.*, so you can unzip it into your Dungeon Keeper /levels/ directory, in order to play the map as a NEW GAME.
    You might want to make a back-up of the original map00001.* files, before you do that!
    The game map is only tested in the free GOG version of Dungeon Keeper, but KeeperFX should handle everything perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burroughs.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	544.2 KB 
ID:	2133  
    Last edited by 0etelaer; May 23rd, 2021 at 12:53.

Spider

Default Re: New Map 5/20/2021 Burroughs

Hey, nice work!

I don't think you can give spells to the Heroes, or assign an AI computer player to them? This gives an error in the KeeperFX log. Just thought I'd say.

Really enjoyed the level. I couldn't find the route at the start for a while, but did eventually. Spent a good few hours playing this. Loved the blue player. He kicked my arse a few times and had to re-load some saves to get past him! And I never felt safe from the heroes either. I had to effectively build a second army for the hero phase!

Great level, thanks

dayo

You're welcome.

In the original Dungeon Keeper, installing a Heroes AI is no problem. I've done that in lots of maps I made, after I learned that trick from Steve Tupper. I saw him using it in one of his maps.
    You should be careful with it though; once you give the Call to Arms spell to the heroes AI, he will use it all the time, so I usually give that spell only at the end at the last fight.

In original Dungeon Keeper, you can see the white Call To arms Ring, the white Sight of Evil ring, hero creatures without speed spell sped up, and so forth.

Spider

That's very interesting! I didn't know that. Does the hero 'keeper' need gold to spend on these things? From your script I would assume so?

There are a lot more level files than I'm used to seeing too?

dayo
    Last edited by dayokay; May 22nd, 2021 at 17:27.

Spider

MAP00001.TXT

I offer you a A Burroughs themed in-game messaged version of the script file.

dayo

Post Re: New Map 5/20/2021 Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by dayokay View Post
    MAP00001.TXT

I offer you a A Burroughs themed in-game messaged version of the script file.

dayo
    Yes, I like it. Very nice objectives. I think your script is good!

You made a small mistake though:
    MAGIC_AVAILABLE(PLAYER_GOOD,POWER_SPEED,1,1)
    Is now two times in the script. Double. The one you placed at the start, and the one I placed in the last block of code, right under your Objective 5.

I also used to put that code, in earlier levels I made, at the start of the map, but thought it to be a bit boring to do it again. Didn't like to repeat myself.
    Or did I place it there myself... ? No can't be, tested it and saw that spell used only at the time I placed it.

Any ways, that this Hero AI works, is so because there is computer "help" in the game.
    The computer "help", which could have been better named "computer penalty", you can use it while playing, is in fact an AI player "helping" the human player out.
    No one uses it, because it will build things you don't want, digs through you fortified front.
    I at least never saw it used it on a Youtube play through, can't imagine any one prefers to play that way. Not even in speed run.
    So this AI code is available on several levels in this game engine.

In previous levels, I also tried out the hero AI to build rooms, but I only succeeded in him building a hatchery. I suppose this succeeded, because the monks had a huge power up in health. As they have in Burroughs. If creatures get such a large health power-up assigned, their health bar is more than half empty. If placed manually on the map, and not by script. In Burroughs, this is visible with the two monks from the two small libraries: I placed these manually. AI only builds what is needed, so in Controlled Demolition I saw it build a hatchery, can't remember if I gave him that room in the script. I suppose for the monks to heal up, because Hero creatures can not sleep in a lair. Scripted creatures with a to large health power-up, generally have a full health bar, when falling into the map. Although, at a certain point their health bar is also damaged, and even higher health they will be falling death into the map. Useful, in case you want to create vampires without a fight... whatever. Dzjeear did a lot of testing in this max health stuff, and I enjoyed his company for a while. Many years ago, when I published his maps for him on line.

In Burroughs, while testing, I saw the Hero AI build one library tile extra in these small libraries, although I didn't give him the script to build any rooms. I suppose the AI wanted to do something useful with all the gold it has.
    I remember from playing years ago, an AI keeper also building a room he couldn't build, by extending a room he had conquered. This seems to be how the engine is coded; With extending rooms, tile by tile, the AI doesn't check whether he can actually build that room.

Building rooms in general doesn't work for the hero AI, I just mentioned some exceptions I saw.
    And he can only use the spells the AI Keepers use in the game, not Armageddon or Destroy Walls.
    Which will off course not work, if you don't give him the gold, to do them.

Folks, you can safely use Dayo's MAP00001.TXT as a script for Burroughs in KeeperFX, or in Deeper Dungeons.

It will improve the experience, but the Hero's will be a tiny bit more dangerous.
    It doesn't make any difference in Dungeon Keeper though, because Dungeon Keeper can not read the objectives from that script, only Deeper Dungeons can read that code.

There is both a Deeper Dungeons and a Dungeon Keeper version for Burroughs now.
    The Deeper Dungeons version of Burroughs was made by dayokay.

I quite liked it, thanks for sharing.

Was a bit on the easier side since you can prepare for a pretty long time before you take on the other keeper and I didn't notice the heroes using spells. I used KeeperFX and the script file above.

Quote Originally Posted by f1dk View Post
    I quite liked it, thanks for sharing.

Was a bit on the easier side since you can prepare for a pretty long time before you take on the other keeper and I didn't notice the heroes using spells. I used KeeperFX and the script file above.
    Thank you also.
    Yes, I try to make my maps quite easy, but not to easy. That is, I find level 20 easy, so a less experienced keeper may still face serious problems.

I noticed the heroes using spells, when I tested it in Dungeon Keeper. I didn't test it in FX.
    I saw KeeperFX using hero spells, when I tested Controlled Demolition some 10 years ago, but maybe some later FX update made that impossible.
    Hero spells in Burroughs should start when the blue keeper is defeated. Or, of you choose to not kill the the keeper, at a point when you approach the hero hearth.
    In dayokay's version, the first spell should start in the first fight with the barbarian, but I haven't tested that one yet.
    Last edited by 0etelaer; May 26th, 2021 at 11:56.

Played Controlled Demolition as well now but didn't notice any spells there either.

Quote Originally Posted by f1dk View Post
    Played Controlled Demolition as well now but didn't notice any spells there either.
    In FX or DK?