Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 Singelplayer maps for DK2

Default Re: 88 Singelplayer maps for DK2

Quote Originally Posted by Bodsda View Post
    Whynots Oracle - Ooh, difficulty settings. I love it. Naturally I want to punish myself so I'll go for Black Knight.

There is a reasonable amount of time to build up a force before Blue and Green break into your dungeon. Assuming your concentrating on fighters and blockers that is. If you've gone for support like Warlock and Dark Elves then you might find you can't stop the first large party which will be a higher level than you. If you can stop it though, then you can convert them. I ended up converting every creature from both Blue and Green. They didn't attack with anything other than imps and a stray Maiden after that.

The march into their dungeons was then trivial, and when I heard the voiceover instructing the goodly heroes to attack me I guessed they would be making a run down the middle. Luckily I had my creatures dropped in time and with 3 dungeons worth of reasonably well levelled creatures I was able to blitz my way up to the outer-fortifications of fairy keep. Taking the first couple of Hero Gates was fine, but then I see there is 3 either side, guarded by Giants and constantly pumping out enemies. I had to blitz both while spamming imps to claim high enough to get to the graveyards and break the gates.

But the trouble didn't stop there. After a while I was able to use a salamander to clear the traps on the other side of the lava moat, a quick bridge build and imp drop claimed the stone bridge. Then when the patrol was on one side I took out the opposite Hero Gate, waited and repeated on the other side. Mopped up the patrol and then had a look with sight of evil inside the keep... The problem with that many high level fairies is stun. If I attack head on my creatures will spend all their time on the floor and die. So naturally it was only the very strongest, the most loyal, the bravest of my creatures that won the day for me. Yes, my Imps. They stormed the keep, captured the temple, and I sold what I could. Everyone else, to pay for their cowardace was forced to pray to me as their omnipotent overlord. This surge in mana allowed me to use turncoat and thunderbolt to end the Fairy Oracle and all of her kin.

49/88
    I bow for your playskill and understanding of the game, good strategy there.

Whynots Overlords - This level was challenging. For the first 80% or so the issue wasn't the enemy creatures, it was micro-managing my own. I may have gone a bit heavy on the old conversions and it seems I had about 60 seconds of calm between either needing to feed the bastards or pay them.

After finally reaching the northern corner keeps, everyone died. Lvl9/10 Royal Guards are really bulky. In the end I needed to trap the central room pretty heavily and have almost all of my leftover creatures in the temple to keep my mana high enough to run my traps.

A nice challenge, I would probably play it differently if I redid the level

50/88

So far, I've tried anything to get it working...but still...can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I installed the custom maps in the right directory and made a new shortcut to play the first level Abbey Road.
    I double click, the screen goes black and then i'm kicked out.

https://freeimage.host/i/blEHBV

Does anyone knows what i'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by MagicHands01; October 31st, 2022 at 08:54.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicHands01 View Post
    So far, I've tried anything to get it working...but still...can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I installed the custom maps in the right directory and made a new shortcut to play the first level Abbey Road.
    I double click, the screen goes black and then i'm kicked out.

https://freeimage.host/i/blEHBV

Does anyone knows what i'm doing wrong?
    You're using the GOG version, so instead of
    Code:
    DKII.exe
    you need
    Code:
    DKII-DX.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Whynotsian View Post
    "If you wanted to up the difficulty"...
    Or give the player a reasonable lair at the start, then make
    the lair unavailable for him (that’s you) so you can’t sell
    Nemesis lair. (I could even make triggers so every time
    you claim his lair it will be altered to be owned by Nemesis)

"have Nemesis go for your dungeon heart after you've put 10 creature or something in his dungeon as punishment for a failed invasion."
    That's a good idea, but I think that you would have used spells and make them fight amongst themselves

Did you catch the Monk ?
    I don't think I caught the monk, no. Was something going to happen if I did?

Whynots_Oh'MyGod - This was a nice, short map. No real troubles.

When I breached into the central Hero section for the first time, it seemed that all of the enemies came from the East. I'm not sure if the Western gate wasn't working, or if it was and all of it's spawned parties went round clockwise. Although thinking about it it could also be because a group of monks just stopped at about the 5 o'clock point and I didn't kill them until I had finished claiming the circle.

The trap line spawning high level Elven Archers was a nice surprise. I lost a vampire or two to that group. The three Princes/LOTL didn't pose a problem.

This would make a nice skirmish map if it was rotated to be an East/West map and the trap line added to the other side as well.

51/88

You're using the GOG version, so instead of
    Code:
    DKII.exe
    you need
    Code:
    DKII-DX.exe
    Thx a lot. It works. Stupid i didn't notice this exe file earlier

Quote Originally Posted by MagicHands01 View Post
    Thx a lot. It works. Stupid i didn't notice this exe file earlier
    Glad it worked. Hope you enjoy the levels, Whynotsian has done a brilliant job with them

I don't think I caught the monk, no. Was something going to happen if I did?
    Yes, he is carrying the portal gem, you won, you only missed that you killed him.

"Glad it worked. Hope you enjoy the levels, Whynotsian has done a brilliant job with them". Nice, thank you Bodsda.

Quote Originally Posted by Whynotsian View Post
    Yes, he is carrying the portal gem, you won, you only missed that you killed him.
    "He probably died in the carnage around the dungeon heart.

Whynots Pacman - This level started off looking like it was going to be quite challenging. I opened three pathways to my dungeon, West, North and East. This was probably a mistake. After a while though I noticed that most of the parties would not fully venture to the doors near my dungeon heart. They would get most of the way there then turn back. This allowed me to peacefully train, deal with the odd Giant that wanted to come play, then eventually wait until there was a quiet period at the Norther stronghold and just assault it with full force.

Unfortunately the buggy AI kind of let down the LOTL on this one. He was woefully unprepared for my 17 Black Knights.

52/88